Is the bar scene turning audiences away?

What would you say is a better alternative venue to the bar/night club scene?

• Total voters

wwwsmmonet

Is the bar scene turning the audiences away?

I hear alot of local bands complain about low attendence at their shows in the local area, and the ones that say they have huge, big, crowds with hundreds of people are just straight up lying about that, trust my research on this one.
Unless they have lucked out and got a gig at the chili cookoff or something like that, the bar scene crowds are just going to the toilet.

My thought is to not complain about it, but, to change the audience addendences for local bands, but, to do that we have to find out what the root of the problem is,

I would be interested in knowing what other types of venues, that are not bars/nightclubs, might attract the most audiences. Would bands get more audience attendence if they were not in a bar/nightclub atmosphere?

I have attended several outdoor / lawn concerts in the area, most sponsored by local town governments, and I have to admit that these "Outdoor Concert Series" programs are the biggest hit in town. Even venues that are outdoors like Gilligans Pier for instance, that place is packed even when the band sucks, repeatedly!

I have yet to see one of these outdoor programs that did not bring in audiences of 200 or more, so, maybe there is something to this idea. When was the last time your band brought in a crowd of 200+?

This is a serious question, and to you jokers/ego maniacs out there who want to reply and tell some bold faced lie that your band draws 200+ at most shows... Please find something else to do besides respond to this posting.

Basically, there's an epidemic going around in the local club scene, and we need to find an alternative medicine for the cure.

Problem one is that bands have poor attendence and rather put thought ahead to figure out what the problem is, they find it easier to just make up and excuse, you know, like the famous one around here, "There was big concert at Nissan", or MCI, or something really lame like that, or "It was too hot and most people stayed home", boy, I've heard those before a few times.

Problem two is "PROMOTION", too many bands already assume that everyone knows who they are, well that's a crap pile, so maybe the problem is just simple good ol' adverstising, most bands lack that these days, maybe it's just the bands fault, in most cases it is, but, that still does not rule out the "atmosphere" part of this post.

Problem three is"AGE" the ages that want to see bands are too young to get inot the bars, and the other ones are too old for the atmostphere but not the music. Think about these for a bit. The working classes, let's say, 25 to 45, are working people and just at the age where the bar scene is just not their thing anymore.

I hear alot under 21 audiences looking for more places to see bands perform, and alot of older crowds doing the same thing, they both love to see live bands play their music, but, THEY CAN'T GET IN THE VENUE! or...
Too old for the smoke and grime.

Maybe more coffee house, outdoor/lawn concert, commmunity center, performances? What do you think? where would you be willing to see more performances by local bands?

wwwsmmonet

I live in Southern Maryland, work in Southern Maryland, and I don't quite understand what your reply has to do with what I posted. somdmusician

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
wwwsmmonet said:
I live in Southern Maryland, work in Southern Maryland, and I don't quite understand what your reply has to do with what I posted. somdmusician

You are a newbie and your profile doesn't indicate where you are located.

wwwsmmonet

No dear, I have been using these forums for several years, I just have not had a whole lot of use for them, since they don't provide alot of feedback, but, I do make an effort to say what I have too, Hardly a newbie, just do alot of watching and listening.

wwwsmmonet

I do post under several names though, so, don't let this name fool you. I have accounts for all my business ventures, including my band. SoMdMusician

wwwsmmonet

Yeah, It's a terrible thing, but, It all depends on what my point of post is at the time, could be business, or it could be for the band.

CMC122

Go Braves!
wwwsmmonet said:
No dear, I have been using these forums for several years, I just have not had a whole lot of use for them, since they don't provide alot of feedback, but, I do make an effort to say what I have too, Hardly a newbie, just do alot of watching and listening.
Or is it that you just don't like the feedback that you recieve?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I, personally, don't go to many live music venues because I'm 41 years old and not interested in a bunch of 20-somethings and their drama and fights, not to mention their drugs. I tend to like restaurants that have live entertainment rather than a club because the crowd is older.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I, personally, don't go to many live music venues because I'm 41 years old and not interested in a bunch of 20-somethings and ....
:wowyoureold: :yikes:

K

Kain99

You probably don't get much "feedback" because you are not hitting your target market. SOMD is jam packed full of mid-lifers..... Wrong group, considering what ya do.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I, personally, don't go to many live music venues because I'm 41 years old and not interested in a bunch of 20-somethings and their drama and fights, not to mention their drugs. I tend to like restaurants that have live entertainment rather than a club because the crowd is older.
I'll have to agree with Vrai ~ the pain is not worth the pleasure in most cases for live music outings... though I LOVE live music... I think, however, it depends on the venue. Blues and jazz are a pleasant bet as they don't usually draw a particularly "let's get drunk and rowdy" crowd. I do like outdoor environments as well as restaurant/pub/dinner clubs ~ I hear the Birchmere is a great place to go, though I haven't been... The River Concert Series seems to be a winner as well, mostly for the environment, but the culture as well...

wwwsmmonet

No, see that's the problem, what I do is make the effort to be "diverse" in getting feedback from multi age ranges. The part you're not getting is that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, and as for hitting my "market" audience, I must have just done that or you would not have replied, so, I thank you for your feedback.

wwwsmmonet

Is the bar scene...

I am really curious to know, from everyone, why do you not go to a bar or night club to see live bands perform? What is the exact turn-off for you in your decision to not go see a live band in a local Southern Maryland bar?

SmallTown

Football season!
wwwsmmonet said:
I am really curious to know, from everyone, why do you not go to a bar or night club to see live bands perform? What is the exact turn-off for you in your decision to not go see a live band in a local Southern Maryland bar?
Maybe it has nothing to do with the "bar scene". Maybe the particular bands in question just suck :shrug: