The Others

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Overall, I'd give it a "B". It's a classically told ghost story, set on a foggy English channel island in a dark old mansion, at the end of the second World War. Nicole Kidman's character greets three people at her door who are applying for the servants jobs, after the abrupt sudden departure of all of the servants overnight. As she goes about the house, she painstakingly informs the newcomers that the rooms must always be locked - that upon entering any new room, the old room must be locked shut. Also, the curtains MUST be drawn anytime the children need to pass through, because they are deathly allergic to *light*.

Ok. That's the first ten to fifteen minutes. For the next hour and a half, small hints are dropped until you reach the final, heart-stopping fifteen minutes, without about one or two 'scares' in between.

To be blunt - it's too slow. I felt at times I was watching a really really long Twilight Zone episode. The story is not complex, and it's not as profound in spots as is "The Sixth Sense" to which it will likely be compared. But not bad. Worth a look.

PmoneyandTT

They have a new movie coming out called "13 ghost" I will be there.. I was glad to see others at the lexington Park Cinema.. Maybe I will go and see it now.. If it is slow like you said, then maybe it will be a blockbuster night for me..

B

BigBrothaCon

What is thirteen ghost going to be about and who is going to be starring in it?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Tony Shalhoub, F. Murray Abraham, Shannon Elizabeth and Embeth Davitz (Homer: mmmmmm....Embeth Davitz.....). I've seen the trailer. It's vaguely based on the 1960 version I saw as a kid, where a rich eccentric scientist dies and leaves his estate to a family. His experiments surrounded the viewing and interacting with ghosts by his inventions, but was essentially a murder mystery, and the ghosts really weren't so bad. In this "remake" - the modern term seems to be "re-imagining" when you depart significantly from the original - the ghosts are rather malevolent, and the uncle's experiments far more advanced and sadistic. Suffice it to say the ghosts didn't like what he did to them. So it's your basic "trapped in a creepy mansion with 13 malevolent ghosts". Check out the trailer at www.rottentomatoes.com.

PmoneyandTT

From the previews - Jeepers Creepers - Its about a house that a millionaire owned.. Well he died and left it to his family members.. But they don't know that he was a collector of weird things.. Including this house.. It looked pretty good from the pre-views will have to investigate further.. It has alot to do with the super-natural. Don't remember the actors.. But I do remember the guy from "scream" the first one.. He was the one who was the blonde guy. He also played in "She's all that" he was the character that was a VJ on MTV, and his favorite song was "give it to me baby" by rick james.. Anyway if your a movie buff like me you would know..

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Absolutely loved it!!!

I didn't think it was slow.  Not a lot of action...so if you need action, you may find it slow.  It was interesting even without the action.  Great plot...great ending....a thought provoker.  Must seee...