The Two Towers...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
First off, I've only recently learned how to pronounce "Tolkien" let alone ever read the trilogy, so, my opinion here is strictly one of a moviegoer seeking to be entertained.

Secondly, I think that "Fellowship" is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen, top ten easy, maybe top 5.

That said, "Towers" is a flop, IMHO.

I have no urge whatsoever to see it again or ever have it at home.

From the endless emphasis on Gollum (Smeagle) to the complete lack of explanation as to who, what or how Gandalf comes back to life, to the idiotic McDonalds Happy land living trees to Samwise Gamgees conversion to Clinton-esque pontificating the "meaning of it all" to the ineptitude of the new and improved Orchs and corresponding invincibility of Viggo and then Gimly becoming a standup comedian and finally the confusing marginalization of Frodo, well, I guess they shot their wad on "Fellowship".

Sorely disappointed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Waiting for The Return of the King. This offering was a disappointment. Gollum was ridiculous. The Ents were absurd. They lost the charm of the characters in Fellowship - Viggo is still cool but not as heroic as he was last time around. Frodo is a dork, as is Sam. Merry and Pippin are boring. The Ring Wraiths' were very scary in the Fellowship - now they ride these pterodactyl things and aren't scary at all. The Uruk Hai speak a lot, which takes away THEIR scariness. And there aren't any cool monsters like the cave troll or Balrog.

:bawl: And I waited all year for this, too!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I haven't seen the movie yet, but am going to in the next week or two. Based on reading the trilogy, the "Two Towers" was my least favorite of the books. A lot of it seemed like Tolkien was using it to set up the scenario for the last book, "Return of the King," which I loved.

Since the movies are holding pretty true to the books, this will probably also be my least favorite of the movies. I'll come back with a review after I see the movie.

MGKrebs

endangered species
I agree with Larry that Fellowship is one of the best movies I've ever seen. My first impression of Two Towers was "underwhelmed". But I think it might be kind of like Star Wars. Remember when the first one came out? It was SO amazing, so new, such a big leap from what we had seen before, that our expectations for what comes next might be unrealistic.

I thought Gollum was cool. I didn't like the Ents. I was apprehensive about how they would film them, because my in my imagination (from the book), you really barely see them move, because they are so slow. But this would be very hard to film. But they couldn't leave them out.

I saw an interview with Peter Jackson, and he said this was the most difficult to put together. There's no real beginning or end, it just bridges the other two stories.

I think Orlando Bloom (Legolas) is going to be a big star. This is his first movie, (I think I read that they got him right out of acting school). But he has a very good look. He's gonna be in a movie called 'Pirates of The Carribean" with Johnny Depp this spring.

Too bad about Gimli. There's enough comedy relief with Merry and Pippin. John Rhys-Davies character seems wasted. I like Viggo. It is a fairy tale after all.

kelley

I just cannot get this fantasy crap. The first one was pushing the limit for me but this one just went way over the top. But, and this is more important to the director and the film company, I have to go back to see the last installment just to see how the damn plot ends. I don't have clue really what is going on because well, I was a little busy during the movie, so could someone give a really short snyopsis of the plot. Thanks.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I for one loved it...
Loved the first one too...
Going to love the third one even more...

I thought the battle scene at Helm's Deep was spectacular... even though there were too many races at the battle (if I'm remembering the books correctly... i'd be more specific but I don't want to post spoilers.)

The Ents, I thought, were done the best they could be done...

Gimli was funny... though I liked him better as a bad-### dwarf.

I was disappointed with the portrayal of Faramir. He was supposed to be a lot wiser and better than his brother. I'm guessing that when the extended DVD comes out, you'll see more character development on him.

Smeagol/Gollum was just as I pictured him. Perfect!!!

I loved the books... and I am amazed at how well they're being adapted to movie without the loss of content.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I loved it - and I'd see it again. About the only thing I didn't care for was the whole Aragorn/Arwen stuff, which slowed the pace of a slow-moving movie, and wasn't in the book.

I liked it because - with only a couple exceptions - it was exactly like the book, and in places of the dialogue - word for word from the book.

The thing is - most of Larry's objections are dealt with hurriedly in the movie at points but - are completely understandable. Gandalf's return is NOT fully explained in the book except with what you see right at the beginning of the movie - he fought with the Balrog endlessly, and whether he died or was reborn, one thing is somewhat clear in the books and very clear from Tolkien mythology - wizards are NOT men. They're a peculiar race, but they aren't men. The best corresponding thing to this world would be like an angel or something. Gandalf returns as Gandalf the White - thus demonstrating the rejection of Saruman (who had previously been "the White").

The Ents - well - there's probably no way to make them not appear slightly comical, since they're indicated in the book as having eyes and human type features. Every drawing I've ever seen of them shows them more or less the way they were shown in the movie. I just always was annoyed in the story, because they seem to just come out of nowhere to save the day - plus - they make a brief showing at Helm's Deep, but that doesn't happen in the movie.

Because of the way the books are written, and the way the movie is done - the books have them not in parallel but in sequence - you read about the Fellowship up to Helm's Deep, and then start over in the Dead Marshes with Sam and Frodo - and the story is mostly about Smeagol up until they make it into Mordor. That IS the way the story goes. I did think they spent a bit too much time with Faramir - I will have to check the story line again.

The Uruk-Hai - the new orcs - ARE tough, and the main thing they gain besides intelligence is speed and endurance. Most orcs are no brighter than apes. We SAW the Uruk-Hai in the first movie - so we have an idea of how tough they are.

I saw the movie with a handful of people who didn't like it, but for a bunch of reasons, mostly from unfamiliarity with the story and one who didnt see the first movie.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Released on DVD today! :getdown: I didn't catch it in the movie theatre, so I've been waiting and waiting!!!! Picked it up at lunch and will be watching it this evening, so I will not be answering my phone! :cool: In case, by the off chance that someone other than a telemarketer might actually call, figured I'd give an FYI post. :blushing:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Christy, is this the special edition DVD?

I remember for Fellowship, they released a DVD, then they came out with another one a month later with 30 extra minutes of scenes included in the movie.

I bought the second one, and if there's going to be a special edition for The Two Towers, I want to get that one, too.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by sleuth14
Christy, is this the special edition DVD?

I remember for Fellowship, they released a DVD, then they came out with another one a month later with 30 extra minutes of scenes included in the movie.

I bought the second one, and if there's going to be a special edition for The Two Towers, I want to get that one, too.

No, it's not the special edition, I think it comes out in November. I figure I might pick that one up when it comes out. Was the first "special addition" worth the purchase?

Oh! This version has a ten minute intro to the final movie.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Christy
Was the first "special addition" worth the purchase?

Absolutely! At least some of that 30 minutes of extra footage was character development. You got to see a little bit deeper into the mind of Aragorn, especially.

I'm hoping the second movie special edition will develop the character of Faramir a bit more.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Special edition = a MUST!

I now have two copies of the first one because I jumped the gun. So I'm waiting until they release the spec-ed before I buy.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Special edition = a MUST!

I now have two copies of the first one because I jumped the gun. So I'm waiting until they release the spec-ed before I buy.

We were going to, but I figured the $15 to buy the movie was a way better deal than the rental + late charges I always incur when I rent a movie. :banghead: