French Raise Terror Alert Level

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
In Paris today the AP and UPI reported that since the London terrorist attacks the French government raised its terror alert level from RUN to HIDE on their four level danger scale. The two higher French danger levels are SURRENDER and COLLABORATE. The rise was precipitated by a fire yesterday which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing their military, according to informed sources.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Penn said:
In Paris today the AP and UPI reported that since the London terrorist attacks the French government raised its terror alert level from RUN to HIDE on their four level danger scale. The two higher French danger levels are SURRENDER and COLLABORATE. The rise was precipitated by a fire yesterday which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing their military, according to informed sources.

I just noticed a poster in the window of the local Subway Sandwich shop that advertises their new Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich. The headline is FRENCH AND CHICKEN, THEY JUST SEEM TO GO TOGETHER. I wonder if the double entendre was intentional?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Alright, call me too lazy to do a Google search, but have the French ever won a war?.............................................. Either by themselves or with help? :confused:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Penn said:
Alright, call me too lazy to do a Google search, but have the French ever won a war?.............................................. Either by themselves or with help? :confused:

There was the war of - er, no, that was the Luxemborguese. How about the ..... no, that was Monaco. I guess you may be right. I'll have to go to google..........if a every give a whit.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Ok, from the URL that hvp05 provided, there were many losses, as many ties and a few less "claimed victories", namely they sued for peace.

This quote got my attention:

The First Rule of French Warfare: "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

I know it's a rhetorical question, but I have to wonder just how this nation has survived for all these centuries? :confused:

They're easy pickins'! Always have been.

Triggerfish

Penn said:

The Hundred Year War? Since they did get the English off their land.
They defeated Mexico in the 1860s...
Boxer Rebellio...with the help of Britain, U.S., Russia, Japan, and many others..
WWI
WWII

Napoleanic Wars.....well the French were by no means weak, they just got too greedy and took on more than they could handle.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Triggerfish said:
The Hundred Year War? Since they did get the English off their land.
They defeated Mexico in the 1860s...
Boxer Rebellio...with the help of Britain, U.S., Russia, Japan, and many others..
WWI
WWII

Napoleanic Wars.....well the French were by no means weak, they just got too greedy and took on more than they could handle.
Good snapshot.

My question is answered, I think. By themselves, they are wretched. With help from their neighbors - who might have a vested interest, whatever that may have been, they succeeded in preserving their nation. Left to their own devices, they would probably cut and run, rather than stay the cause when it gets tough, I'm thinking.

Question: Are they still too greedy, and, possibly more to the point: Are they in over their heads as far as world affairs are involved?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Penn said:
They're easy pickins'! Always have been.
I'll answer your rhetorical question! Obviously, nobody wants to claim them. Any military/geographic advantages gained through victory would quickly be followed by the thought of incorporating 60.7 million (source) Frenchmen into your population. Additionally you would have to contend with the taunting, "Oh, you beat the French... what a military goliath you must be!"

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
hvp05 said:
I'll answer your rhetorical question! Obviously, nobody wants to claim them. Any military/geographic advantages gained through victory would quickly be followed by the thought of incorporating 60.7 million (source) Frenchmen into your population.

Additionally you would have to contend with the taunting, "Oh, you beat the French... what a military goliath you must be!"
BWAAAAHAHAHAHA! I can't think of a good comeback for that one! :lol:

Other than the fact that you're unerringly correct! :cheers:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Penn said:
Question: Are they still too greedy, and, possibly more to the point: Are they in over their heads as far as world affairs are involved?
Does selling off world security in trade for a share in $11 billion worth of business and oil count as being greedy?

One would think that, when fighting a war, you would consult countries who have strong war records. Which makes me wonder why France is one of the 5 permanent members of the U.N. Security Council.

Did you see the "Second Rule of French Warfare"? "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

Triggerfish

Penn said:

They did do well on colonial wars for a while. For a long time they supposedly had the most powerful army in the world especially in the 19th century until they started to lose to the Prussians then the German empire.

Until fairly recently the French language was the language of diplomacy.

De Gaulle was trying make a third option alliance during the cold war headed by France.

They just don't understand that they are no longer that significant and think of themselves more important than they really are.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Triggerfish said:
They did do well on colonial wars for a while. For a long time they supposedly had the most powerful army in the world especially in the 19th century until they started to lose to the Prussians then the German empire.

Until fairly recently the French language was the language of diplomacy.

De Gaulle was trying make a third option alliance during the cold war headed by France.

They just don't understand that they are no longer that significant and think of themselves more important than they really are.
Gotcha! They're living in the past!

Triggerfish

As for the present.....

they do make some good bread, cheese, and wine. :yum:

That's probably their biggest contribution to the world now...cuisine.