House History

fttrsbeerwench

My mom says that my Dad's parents originally owned a good chunk of land that is now occupied by Pax River. When they moved to the new Farm there was already a farm house on it and it's still standing and was still occupied until last year.
All of the kids were born in that house, and it's supposed to be over 100 years old.
It sits on a tract of land that faces St Mary's City and borders Coopers Creek on one side. It's down near Dennis Point Marina.
My question is.....Do you have any knowledge of who could have built the house, or how old it really is? Have you ever heard of anything about the area? I'm just curious if this place is really as old as she says it is..

fttrsbeerwench

Now I want to know who had the place before they did.... It's my understanding that all the land bordering the St. Mary's River was parcelled out by some lord back in the day.. The property that's Porta Bella and Christiana Farm was supposed to be the first titled piece of property in the county...

C

CapsFan

fttrsbeerwench said:
Now I want to know who had the place before they did.... It's my understanding that all the land bordering the St. Mary's River was parcelled out by some lord back in the day.. The property that's Porta Bella and Christiana Farm was supposed to be the first titled piece of property in the county...

That will probably require a trip to the recorder of deeds or some other Gov't agency. There are ways to research it. It just dependes on how much time and effort you want to put into it.

C

CapsFan

Do we have a history society in this county? I'm sure we do. History goes back far with this county, and probably some important history.

fttrsbeerwench

Yeah we do.. In Leonardtown... I haven't gone there in ages.. I'm a history buff and was just curious about the history of the place..