High Definition TV in St Mary Co.

dworkman

New to the forum and can't find a specific one for this post.

Has anyone had any luck in recieving HD signal (off air) in SOMD? I had an antenna company rep tell me that we're too far away from DC or BALT to receive their HD broadcast signals using an antenna. Too many trees in Wildewood for a satelite dish.

Thanks . .

Frozenpl

Drinks At The House!
Southern MD is too far from the towers to get a good picture, a good booster will help but not as good as cable. GMP Cable (Metrocast) has a very good line-up and they are adding a few more channels next week.

D

dems4me

Frozenpl said:
Southern MD is too far from the towers to get a good picture, a good booster will help but not as good as cable. GMP Cable (Metrocast) has a very good line-up and they are adding a few more channels next week.

Actualy compared to dishnetwork, I've been disappointed with Metrocast. I had gotten used to having more channels. One important one that I miss is a channel that was a tv guide so you can see what is on and a button on the remote you could hit that would say what the show was about (in case you wouldn't be interested in it and thereby save some time and watch something else). Also, I'd gotten spoilt with DishNetworks' DVR (Tivo) where you can pause shows, rewind, easily record, etc... as I'm always up and about... out of habit I keep wanting to grab for the remote to replay something.:frown: I'll be trying to hook up the dish someway or another this weekend as I still have my Dishnetwork set up - just new location!! :lol: If anything, now I feel like I'm watchnig TV with my arms cut off or something right now...:lol: Although by far MetroCast is better than nothing... its incredibly frustrating if you were used to having Dishnetwork. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Hoeck

I have been using DirectTV for many years. Last several with High Def. Since they do not as yet have local Hi Def, (comming to DC market this year), they supply network feed from HD channels in New York if local station is network O&O. So here we get NBC HD and FOX HD. Also in HD, ESPN, UHD, DSHD, HD Net (the First), HD Net Movies, and HBO and/or Showtime if you subscribe. Can get Tivo at cheap price, my Tivo only low def, feeds older sets.
Verizon Broadband is comming to area, so GMP will have competition.

Richard B

dems4me said:
Actualy compared to dishnetwork, I've been disappointed with Metrocast. I had gotten used to having more channels. One important one that I miss is a channel that was a tv guide so you can see what is on and a button on the remote you could hit that would say what the show was about (in case you wouldn't be interested in it and thereby save some time and watch something else). Also, I'd gotten spoilt with DishNetworks' DVR (Tivo) where you can pause shows, rewind, easily record, etc... as I'm always up and about... out of habit I keep wanting to grab for the remote to replay something.:frown: I'll be trying to hook up the dish someway or another this weekend as I still have my Dishnetwork set up - just new location!! :lol: If anything, now I feel like I'm watchnig TV with my arms cut off or something right now...:lol: Although by far MetroCast is better than nothing... its incredibly frustrating if you were used to having Dishnetwork. JMO

I have GMP Express (Metrocast) digital cable. I have the TV guide capability you mention.

D

dems4me

Richard B said:
I have GMP Express (Metrocast) digital cable. I have the TV guide capability you mention.

I've waited all day and was hoping someone would correct me or say something!!!! A lifetime supply of green if you tell me what channel it is:tap:

Richard B

dems4me said:
I've waited all day and was hoping someone would correct me or say something!!!! A lifetime supply of green if you tell me what channel it is:tap:

UUMM.. I must have missed it. What channel are you referring to?

Moonchild

Metrocasts HD offerings are actually not bad. I was a Directtv user for 8 years. When I found I could get HD along with DVR function for an extra $15, I switched. Not quite Tivo quality, but it can do HD. The boxes are a little glitchy, I've been through three in 5 months, but since thats free, I'm okay with it. They just give me a new box.

The same service from DTV is about $700 for equipment that if it dies, your outta luck.

Oh, and the locals are all available in HD. And the guide is almost the same as DTV.

And sometime soon, they are supposed to add dual tuner functions, so you can watch on HD show while recording another.

ohstate

I have had Davis antenna (Waldorf) over to check my house to see if I can get HD signals OTA. I live in Lusby, and I can't get any HD signals OTA there. I have Directv, w/ the HD package, and get my HD network feeds from NY (see above). Its the only way I can get them.

Check www.antennaweb.org - they have good info based on your address - it told me that I might be able to get a signal if I had a really big antenna mounted on a 10 ft. poll on my roof. Davis checked that, but it wouldn't work for me. My house is low, (on the water) between hills, and has too many trees. I have a friend who lives elsewhere in Lusby, on a hill, and he can pull OTA signals in.