New Orleans Last week, Who is next?

Triggerfish

Typhoon Nabi batters southwestern Japan

TOKYO (Reuters) - A typhoon of similar strength to Hurricane Katrina lashed southwestern Japan with torrential rains and high winds on Monday, cutting power supplies and disrupting transport and oil refineries.

Thousands of households in or near Tokyo were flooded and lost power, while some highways were closed and trains delayed. Some bank cash machines were also out of action due to power outages.

Tokyo isn't anywhere near the eye yet.
almost that deja vu feeling......hopefully it isn't going to be as bad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050905/sc_nm/weather_japan_typhoon_dc_6

satellite photo
http://weather.yahoo.com/img/asia_sat_440_mdy_y.html

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Huh. Wonder why George Bush would unleash his typhoon on the Japanese? :confused:

Well, at least Japan is a real country and won't come to the US demanding money to rebuild, because we can't help them right now. But good luck to them - it would be a lot worse to lose Tokyo than it is to lose New Orleans.

soul4sale

vraiblonde said:
But good luck to them - it would be a lot worse to lose Tokyo than it is to lose New Orleans.

Actually, I think Japan could use a good whoopin'. Might jumpstart their zombie banking sector a bit.

willie

I guess NO will have to give Japan back their money and generators......unless they've been stolen

Triggerfish

Jambalaya said:
Sorry, :shutup: I don't have friends and Family in Tokyo.

You may not but this area has a large military community and the typhoon is affecting everything from Okinawa to Tokyo to Korea home to hundreds of thousands of service members and their families. Many of us here in NAS PAX have been stationed in the Tokyo area and have friends or relatives there. Also if Tokyo goes (which I doubt) you will feel it. Is that hard to see? The country with 2nd biggest GDP. Tokyo is the capital, economic and cultural center of modern Japan with the metro area having population of about 30 million. Japan is one of the main trading partners of the U.S. and #1 U.S. ally in Asia. Okinawa alone I think have tens of thousands of marines.

Triggerfish

vraiblonde said:
I got her for ya :yay:

I kind of had a feeling someone would get their butt hurt over your first post. However I didn't think they were going to think it over too well before they posted something, like the fact that St Mary's is home to many military families with friends and families in Japan.

Triggerfish

soul4sale said:
Actually, I think Japan could use a good whoopin'. Might jumpstart their zombie banking sector a bit.

Just last month Japan had the biggest earthquake in terms of damage since the 1995 Kobe quake that killed thousands. Plus losing Tokyo isn't a good whoopin it's like getting multiple stab wounds and being in a critical condition.

Last edited:

Triggerfish

Jambalaya said:
Sorry, :shutup: I don't have friends and Family in Tokyo.

She didn't say that losing New Orleans wasn't a bad thing, it's just worse to lose a city like Tokyo. It's probably one of the top 5 most powerful cities in the world where a decision made by a politician or a CEO can affect billion or possibly the whole world.

Triggerfish

Attachments

• Typhoon.jpg
    Typhoon.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 44

Triggerfish

vraiblonde said:
we can't help them right now. But good luck to them.

I'm sure the U.S. troops in the region will help out with what they can if they are asked. :smile:

Last edited:

Jambalaya

SpicyHot
Triggerfish said:
She didn't say that losing New Orleans wasn't a bad thing, it's just worse to lose a city like Tokyo. It's probably one of the top 5 most powerful cities in the world where a decision made by a politician or a CEO can affect billion or possibly the whole world.
I like sushi and yakisoba and do appriciate the fine cuisine of Japan, But I prefer a steaming hot Gumbo or Courtbillion. I have been stationed in Atsugi, Misawa and Kadena and would like to return one day. But I'm a die hard Saints fan and will not turn my back on the people and culture that I grew up with. Tokyo is a fine Powerful economic city. They have quite a few flashy lights and a cutting edge form of animation. Good on them for all they have. I don't like politicians, Louisiana is full of crooked ones that line their pockets and throw mud with the best of them.