Chief Justice

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Does the Chief Justice have significantly more authority and responsibility, or is it more of a figure head title. I'm a bit vague on it.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Basically just a title, but the chief presides over impeachments and the like.

U.S. Constitution Article I, Section 3, clause 6

The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath or affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two thirds of the members present.

Last edited:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
2ndAmendment said:
Basically just a title, but the chief presides over impeachments and the like.
Knew I could count on you for an answer. In that case I think that Roberts shouldn't be Chief Justice, they shuld make some kind of provision that the title goes to the Justice with the longest reigning tenure. But that's just me.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
Knew I could count on you for an answer. In that case I think that Roberts shouldn't be Chief Justice, they shuld make some kind of provision that the title goes to the Justice with the longest reigning tenure. But that's just me.
That's not the way the system works.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
In that case I think that Roberts shouldn't be Chief Justice, they shuld make some kind of provision that the title goes to the Justice with the longest reigning tenure. But that's just me.
That's a good way to do it, but it seems to me (without actually looking it up) that Chief Justices have never come from the existing pool - they've always been someone from outside the current Supremes.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
tomchamp said:
I always thought some one on the court would get promoted and the new judge would take his spot! :confused:
Nope. It is the President's choice. He could do that or pick any Joe off the street. There is no requirement that the appointee be a former judge or lawyer. Matter of fact the Constitution does not require that any Federal judge be a lawyer or have a law degree or a degree of any kind.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
That's a good way to do it, but it seems to me (without actually looking it up) that Chief Justices have never come from the existing pool - they've always been someone from outside the current Supremes.
Actually Rehnquist was. Nixon nominated him to the court in 1971. President Reagan nominated him for Chief Justice in 1986.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bustem' Down said:
Does the Chief Justice have significantly more authority and responsibility, or is it more of a figure head title. I'm a bit vague on it.
They mentioned that the Chief decides who gets to write the courts opinions for the majority and the minority on each case.. His vote doesn't count for anymore or less.. he just gets a bigger admin load then the rest. OOH and he gets to wear the cool robe with the Gold stripes whats-his-name designed when he became chief..

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
They mentioned that the Chief decides who gets to write the courts opinions for the majority and the minority on each case.. His vote doesn't count for anymore or less.. he just gets a bigger admin load then the rest. OOH and he gets to wear the cool robe with the Gold stripes whats-his-name designed when he became chief..
Rehnquist added the stripes.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
This has been covered in one of these threads. There have been three sitting Associate Justices advanced to Chief Justice in the history of the Supreme Court.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
2ndAmendment said:
Nope. It is the President's choice. He could do that or pick any Joe off the street. There is no requirement that the appointee be a former judge or lawyer. Matter of fact the Constitution does not require that any Federal judge be a lawyer or have a law degree or a degree of any kind.
"No, I don't have a J.S.D., or any degree for that matter... but I did sleep at the Holiday Inn last night." :resoundingapplause:

ericw

The Chief Justice decides who writes the legal opinion (majority or dissenting) for whichever side he votes with. (On the other side, the justice with longest tenure on the Court makes that decision.)
However, the Chief Justice also has administrative responsibility over the entire federal court system, which is why his title is "Chief Justice of the United States" and not "Chief Justice of the Supreme Court".

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
ericw said:
The Chief Justice decides who writes the legal opinion (majority or dissenting) for whichever side he votes with. (On the other side, the justice with longest tenure on the Court makes that decision.)
However, the Chief Justice also has administrative responsibility over the entire federal court system, which is why his title is "Chief Justice of the United States" and not "Chief Justice of the Supreme Court".

. . .and his reserved parking place is nearer the door.