This week's Zogby

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that the coverage of Hurricane Katrina helped produce better results from government than would have otherwise occurred?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

What term do you think should be used to refer to the people who have been displaced because of Hurricane Katrina?

Victims
Refugees
Evacuees
Survivors
None of the above
Not sure

Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that New Orleans WILL be re-built as it was before the hurricane?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that New Orleans SHOULD be re-built as it was before the hurricane?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

Would you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose increasing taxes to pay for rebuilding New Orleans?

Strongly support
Somewhat support
Somewhat oppose
Strongly oppose
Not sure

Would you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose increasing taxes to pay for improvements to levees around the country to avoid future floods?

Strongly support
Somewhat support
Somewhat oppose
Strongly oppose
Not sure

Some estimates are that as many as 50,000 pets have been stranded by Hurricane Katrina. Do you agree or disagree that official rescue efforts for any disaster - flooding, earthquakes, storms, fire, etc. - should include rescuing pets?

Agree
Disagree
Not sure

Reports are that pets, left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, are on the verge of starvation and dehydration. Who do you think should be most responsible for getting food and water to these pets or getting them to shelter?

Government disaster relief agencies, like FEMA
Private relief agencies, like the Red Cross
Animal welfare or animal rights groups like the Humane Society
Individual pet owners
A combination of all of them
Not sure

There are some reports that animal rescue groups were not allowed into the flooded areas to begin rescuing animals until much of the rescuing of people was complete. Do you agree or disagree that animal rescue efforts by these groups should be allowed to take place at the same time rescue efforts for people by the Red Cross and others are taking place?

Agree
Disagree
Not sure

As many as 10,000 people in New Orleans may have refused evacuation because they stayed behind to care for pets and other animals. How likely would you be to refuse to evacuate an area before a disaster struck because you were not able to take your pets with you?

Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not very likely
Not at all likely
Not sure

How likely would you be to refuse to be rescued after the disaster has struck because rescuers refused to allow you to take your pets with you?

Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not very likely
Not at all likely
Not sure

Which do you think should be the top story on the nightly news: the confirmation hearings for Chief Justice nominee John Roberts or the ongoing relief efforts in New Orleans?

Confirmation hearings
Relief efforts in New Orleans
Neither
Not sure

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why can't Louisiana pay for the rebuilding of New Orleans? Why the hell should WE have to pay for it??? And why should the rest of us pay to reinforce other cities that lie in flood zones???

Friggin' Communists. :rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
Can you honestly tell me that you would lay there and die rather than leave your pets??? Because I would drag you out of there by the hair. You'd thank me later.

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that the coverage of Hurricane Katrina helped produce better results from government than would have otherwise occurred?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

What term do you think should be used to refer to the people who have been displaced because of Hurricane Katrina?

Victims
Refugees
Evacuees
Survivors
None of the above
Not sure

Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that New Orleans WILL be re-built as it was before the hurricane?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

Do you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree that New Orleans SHOULD be re-built as it was before the hurricane?

Strongly agree
Somewhat agree
Somewhat disagree
Strongly disagree
Not sure

Would you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose increasing taxes to pay for rebuilding New Orleans?

Strongly support
Somewhat support
Somewhat oppose
Strongly oppose
Not sure

Would you strongly support, somewhat support, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose increasing taxes to pay for improvements to levees around the country to avoid future floods?

Strongly support
Somewhat support
Somewhat oppose
Strongly oppose
Not sure

Some estimates are that as many as 50,000 pets have been stranded by Hurricane Katrina. Do you agree or disagree that official rescue efforts for any disaster - flooding, earthquakes, storms, fire, etc. - should include rescuing pets?

Agree
Disagree
Not sure

Reports are that pets, left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, are on the verge of starvation and dehydration. Who do you think should be most responsible for getting food and water to these pets or getting them to shelter?

Government disaster relief agencies, like FEMA
Private relief agencies, like the Red Cross
Animal welfare or animal rights groups like the Humane Society AND
Individual pet owners
A combination of all of them
Not sure

There are some reports that animal rescue groups were not allowed into the flooded areas to begin rescuing animals until much of the rescuing of people was complete. Do you agree or disagree that animal rescue efforts by these groups should be allowed to take place at the same time rescue efforts for people by the Red Cross and others are taking place?

Agree
Disagree
Not sure

As many as 10,000 people in New Orleans may have refused evacuation because they stayed behind to care for pets and other animals. How likely would you be to refuse to evacuate an area before a disaster struck because you were not able to take your pets with you?

Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not very likely
Not at all likely
Not sure

How likely would you be to refuse to be rescued after the disaster has struck because rescuers refused to allow you to take your pets with you?

Very likely
Somewhat likely
Not very likely
Not at all likely
Not sure

Which do you think should be the top story on the nightly news: the confirmation hearings for Chief Justice nominee John Roberts or the ongoing relief efforts in New Orleans?

Confirmation hearings
Relief efforts in New Orleans
Neither
Not sure
I mostly agree with you except for answers in blue. :cheers:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
Can you honestly tell me that you would lay there and die rather than leave your pets??? Because I would drag you out of there by the hair. You'd thank me later.

If I was responsible for a child, I'd go. In my present state, just me and Otter...no effin way I'd go with out my pets. Absolutely NO way. And I have sat here at my desk and bawled like a baby just about every night reading the pleas from people that have nothing and are desperately looking for their pets, or just seeing the poor animals and what they are going through.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
If I was responsible for a child, I'd go. In my present state, just me and Otter...no effin way I'd go with out my pets. Absolutely NO way. And I have sat here at my desk and bawled like a baby just about every night reading the pleas from people that have nothing and are desperately looking for their pets, or just seeing the poor animals and what they are going through.

On a good note, one of the ladies at work is very involved with pet rescue and she told he that they have already adopted out more that thirty cats and dogs. :huggy:

Christy

b*tch rocket
cattitude said:
I'm with you Catt. :yay: But I'd also be more inclined to evacuate beforehand if I had animals to care for.

I still remember when we got our mini hurricane up this way I was panicking as to how to evacuate my portly livestock. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Christy said:
I'm with you Catt. :yay: But I'd also be more inclined to evacuate beforehand if I had animals to care for.

Florida has established pet-friendly shelters and they've found that they get more people to evacuate.

Christy

b*tch rocket
cattitude said:
Florida has established pet-friendly shelters and they've found that they get more people to evacuate.

That definitely makes sense. I just couldn't imagine leaving an animal behind. For some people (especially the elderly) their pets are the only thing they have left in the world.

Heck, I'd take my animals before I'd take my husband. I know he can swim, I'm not so sure about my pigs. :shrug: :wink:

Steve

Enjoying life!
Christy said:
I still remember when we got our mini hurricane up this way I was panicking as to how to evacuate my portly livestock. :shrug:
True story. Except today we could probably use them as floatation devices. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
But I'd also be more inclined to evacuate beforehand if I had animals to care for.
Thank you!

My cats are survivor types, except for the dumb baby one. They'd be just fine, long after I'd died in some looting misadventure.

morganj614

IMO
vraiblonde said:
Strongly disagree It was nature and I feel the best was done with what was known regardless of coverage

None of the above Fools because the stayed. those that left are survivors

Somewhat agree

Strongly disagree It's not the smartest move

Strongly oppose I'm not paying for their folly

Strongly oppose They already blew that chance

After all attempts are made for humans

A combination of owners and Humane Society

Disagree major effort of humans first and animal rescue groups do their thing

Not at all likely I would adopt a pet at a later date

Not at all likely

Confirmation hearings and isn't there a war going on?

Christy

b*tch rocket
cattitude said:
I'd evacuate too, if I could take my animals. That's what Christy is saying, right?
I'm talking evacuating and making my own arrangements for my animals. It's cool that there are shelter's that accept animals, but I'm not a shelter kind of person. I'd probably just drive somewhere and impose on relatives. :shrug: I have them scattered about everywhere in the US. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
I'd evacuate too, if I could take my animals.
Okay, but think about it: why would you own pets if you can't care for them? Then wander around crying about how they're the only thing in the world that matters to you, yet you don't even have the means to get out of the way of a hurricane???

So you, Cattitude, wouldn't be in a situation where some helicopter dude had to come save your life and force you to leave your babies behind - you, as a responsible pet owner, would have already made arrangements for them and yourself in the event of a hurricane you knew was coming.