Tracfone

yakky doodle

anyone have one? curious about the good and bad, or any tips/tricks. just got one for when I'm running late or for an emergency (had a regular cell couple years ago and about went bankrupt with it).

anyone have any experience with them?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I have an analog cell phone (obsolete after only 3 years), which I use only for emergencies. The cost per call is outrageous. I've thought about the Trac Phone as an alternative. But I've heard of Trac plans where the minutes expire in a month or so. Any details would be great.

yakky doodle

the minutes don't expire, per se. they roll over, but you have to purchase a new card for minute every 60 days.

check out www.tracfone.com for info on it. I was looking for more user-friendly tips/experience. (i.e., is it better to go with the double minute deals, etc).

SxyPrincess

If you must have a cell phone, but don't want to pay a monthly fee, and want the freedom of cancelling at any time without charge, it's good. I just don't like the actual "going rate" per minute on those cards. I think it's something like $.60-$.75 a minute...ridiculous!

I've been with Cingular for about 5 years now, and I'm getting ready to swith to Nextel. My normal plan with Cingular is $74.99/month, but since I like to yap so much, my monthly bills for the passed two years have averaged $130. :rolleyes:

Not sure what plan I'll go with once I switch, but I hope to save a few bucks. Most (almost all) my friends have Nextel, and I'll be able to chirp them. :biggrin:

yakky doodle

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
My normal plan with Cingular is $74.99/month, but since I like to yap so much, my monthly bills for the passed two years have averaged $130. :rolleyes:

maybe you should have an MPD named "Yappy Doodle" :lol:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by yakky doodle
multiple personality disorder.

i.e. I suffer from it. I used to be BchBns. Now I'm Yakky Doodle :biggrin:

Thanks. I read that in the BchBns thread, and I tried looking for BchBns posts and found they had all been deleted. No offense meant for the Forum administrators, but that reminded me of the Unperson concept in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Maybe you could adopt a new handle--Yakky Buns! :lol:

H

Heretic

I looked into a Tracphone but found out it would cost more than a minimal plan with any provider. Right now I have Cellular one and I have the minimal nationwide plan for $30 a month, if you dont plan on roaming you can get the minimal local plan for $20 a month and you will get a free phone and 100 minutes a month. I make about 2 calls a month on my phone. Its digital and very clear.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Heretic
I looked into a Tracphone but found out it would cost more than a minimal plan with any provider. Right now I have Cellular one and I have the minimal nationwide plan for $30 a month, if you dont plan on roaming you can get the minimal local plan for $20 a month and you will get a free phone and 100 minutes a month. I make about 2 calls a month on my phone. Its digital and very clear.

Granted, a phone is priceless in a true emergency. But Heretic, I use my phone the same amount that you use yours, and $20 per month sounds high to me.

H

Heretic

I do alot of traveling and like having mine on me because my dad was quite sick for a while. I rarely make calls or even receive them but like the fact that I can recieve them if need be. The phone hasn't rang once while traveling thank god.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'll get us back on track:

Right now I have an analog plan for $10 a month. But each call costs anywhere from $1 to $3.

As far as I can tell, no company offers analog service for new customers. The digital plans I've seen start at $20, and that's even before I make any calls.

Maybe I've been spoiled by land-line service, where I get unlimited local calling for about $8.