I Guess Dean Got Tired of Insulting Just Republicans

B

Bruzilla

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/20/102120.shtml

Howard Dean: I Saved the Democratic Party

DNC Chairman Howard Dean is now boasting that he's the savior of the Democratic Party, in a none-too-subtle slap at former party chief Terry McAuliffe, not to mention the last Democratic standard bearer, Sen. John Kerry.

Asked why he wanted to run the DNC, Dean told ABC's "The View" last week: "Somebody had to save the party."

He insisted that Democrats were heading in the wrong direction before he took over, telling "View" gabber Joy Behar: "We thought we were going to win by becoming Republicans."

The ex-Vermont governor suggested that Sen. Kerry didn't have the backbone to defeat President Bush in last year's election, saying, "If you want to win, it's not so much what you believe . . . it's whether you're willing to fight for what you believe. And the Democrats had given up. We had simply not been willing to stand up and fight."

Dean's bizarre attack on his fellow Democrats went unnoticed by the mainstream press. But talk radio host Steve Malzberg told NewsMax he had a field day play the clips while filling in on Atlanta's WGST.
After criticizing his predecessors for being too lame, Dean turned his fire on the GOP.

"The truth is, they are a white Christian party," he insisted. "They don't welcome and embrace diversity."

Dean also blasted the Bush administration for what he charged was a bid to deflect blame over Hurricane Katrina, saying, "That really was a [Karl] Rove inspired thing - to go attack the local people."

But when it came to New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, Dean turned defensive, saying it wasn't his fault that the city's school buses weren't use to evacuate his trapped constituents.

"The school buses were controlled by the school board, not the mayor," Dean insisted. "You can't blame the mayor for that."

No... But he sure can blame Bush for it!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
"The school buses were controlled by the school board, not the mayor," Dean insisted. "You can't blame the mayor for that."
THAT is the dumbest thing I've ever heard (seen) Howard Dean say. Unfortunately, just when you think he can't get any dumber, he tops himself.

B

Bruzilla

rraley said:
Completely egotistical...this is just plain awful that he actually believes this crap.

No, what's really plain awful is that there are thousands of people who would listen to that and nod their heads in complete agreement.

Toxick

Splat
Bruzilla said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my train of logic goes like this:

School board :: Busses
School Board == Local government.
Mayor > Local Government.
Mayor > School Board.
Mayor :: Busses

Q.E.F.D.

And even if the mayor couldn't wrest control of those school busses (which is a load of BS), are we to seriously believe that the school board is such a pack of stingy punk jackasses that they wouldn't have helped by loaning out the busses, had they been asked?

Bruzilla said:
No... But he sure can blame Bush for it!!!

Just more fun cognitive dissonance from the current left-wing screech-orgy.

B

Bruzilla

I don't know who controls the schools, but I doubt it's the Mayor. Most school districts that I know of are controlled by the county (Parish?) government. Back in PA we had school districts based on major municipalities, either at the town or borough level, so you had multiple districts within each county. So it could go either way.

Toxick

Splat
Bruzilla said:
I don't know who controls the schools, but I doubt it's the Mayor.

I wasn't trying to imply that the mayor controls the schools - only that since the schools are governed by local gub'mint - of which the mayor is top-dawg - then the mayor probably has a little say-so.

Maybe not much, but I'd bet that a mayor could, at least, influence the distribution of resources.

I.e:
Mayor: Can we borrow those busses to evacuate people?
School Board (or Board of Transportation): Sure. In fact, we'll come with.
Mayor: Thanks
SB/BoT: No - Thank YOU, sir.

B

Bruzilla

Toxick said:
I wasn't trying to imply that the mayor controls the schools - only that since the schools are governed by local gub'mint - of which the mayor is top-dawg - then the mayor probably has a little say-so.

Maybe not much, but I'd bet that a mayor could, at least, influence the distribution of resources.

I.e:
Mayor: Can we borrow those busses to evacuate people?
School Board (or Board of Transportation): Sure. In fact, we'll come with.
Mayor: Thanks
SB/BoT: No - Thank YOU, sir.

Once again... it all depends on who controls the schools. Where I lived in Pittsburgh the Mayor of Plum Borough was in charge of the Plum Borough School District. Here in Florida there are two incorporated towns in Clay county, Orange Park and Green Cove Springs, but neither mayor of these towns has any authority over the Clay County School District.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Bruzilla said:
Once again... it all depends on who controls the schools. Where I lived in Pittsburgh the Mayor of Plum Borough was in charge of the Plum Borough School District. Here in Florida there are two incorporated towns in Clay county, Orange Park and Green Cove Springs, but neither mayor of these towns has any authority over the Clay County School District.

Since when did a Southern mayor have to ask permission to take over public resources? Florida may be smartening up with a Bush for governor, huh?

Back to New Orleans, the place is so corrupt from the top down that you KNOW the Mayor could have hot-wired every one of them sum-biches in two minutes.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
Bru,

If you check out the supplement to the Louisiana Evaciation Plan you will find that one of the assumptions was that both school and municipal buses (along with any other public vehicles) would be used to evacuate those that don't have the means to get out.

With that laid out as an assumption it seems obvious that the plan gave them the authority to use whatever means was available. Now if they had only followed the plan. :tap:

B

Bruzilla

Hey Ken, I was wondering what your view on the indictment of the owners of the nursing home where the 30+ patients drowned is. From what I heard they were indicted on negligent homicide charges, but since there was no mandatory evacuation called for, did they have an obligation to move the patients? The City of NO has requirements for hospitals and nursing homes to have plans in place to evacuate their patients, but I didn't see anything that said they had to evacuate during a voluntary evacuation.

Also, if these two people could be indicted for negligent homicide for failing to get those patients out by not following the plan, shouldn't the mayor of NO and the governor of LA also be indicted for the deaths resulting from their not following the plan?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Does it really matter who controls the buses? How about a nice dose of common sense?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
Hey Ken, I was wondering what your view on the indictment of the owners of the nursing home where the 30+ patients drowned is. From what I heard they were indicted on negligent homicide charges, but since there was no mandatory evacuation called for, did they have an obligation to move the patients? The City of NO has requirements for hospitals and nursing homes to have plans in place to evacuate their patients, but I didn't see anything that said they had to evacuate during a voluntary evacuation.

Also, if these two people could be indicted for negligent homicide for failing to get those patients out by not following the plan, shouldn't the mayor of NO and the governor of LA also be indicted for the deaths resulting from their not following the plan?
To let people lay there and just drown is wrong. Those patients were entrusted into the care of that establishment and they should have been proactive in ensuring their safety. I see nothing wrong with indicting them and letting a court determine their fate.

As to the Mayor and Governor of Louisiana I think their lack of action is equally criminal, if not more so, for failing to protect the citizens of that region when they had the assets, time, and ability to do it.

willie

If the owners knew enough to find safety for themselves, it is negligent homicide. Did they even get wet trying to rescue the residents under their care?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is what I love about Dean...

...the whole defiance, fight, anger thing. It is bedrock of what it means to be a Democrat and Howard keeps it alive. He bears the torch.

The simplest and perhaps most accurate way to describe what it means to be a Democrat vs. a Republican is to say a spoiled child as to a permissive parent.

Childen desire to fight and stomp their feet when they don't get their way and 'their way' is fueled by wants, not needs. If they don't have it, they want it. If they are told they can't have it, then they REALLY want it and, just like spoiled children, when they lose, when they don't get their way, their parents are being 'mean' and 'harsh' simply by winning, by virtue of being parents.

Democrats want NO compromise in their rhetoric or goals. When they lose, compromise becomes their favorite word, just so long as it means the winners are compromising with them. Just like spoiled children.

Republicans are permissive parents because we give so much to the losers. We compromise so much and we worry that they, our children, won't lke us if we put them in time out or take away their party or if, heaven forbid, we hold them responsible for their actions.

So, Dean. He appeals to that core child in every Democrat and he appeals to me in that I can't wait to take his party away because he broke the rules and went to far.

Democrats do not fear Republicans, not really, because they know we get weak kneed when they start crying. If we spoke and acted in uncompromising ways such as Dean does, Howard would be out of business tomorrow just like the obstinate child who says 'you wouldn't dare take away our party!".

It's gonna hurt you more than me, Howard. It's supossed to.

B

Bruzilla

Ken King said:
To let people lay there and just drown is wrong. Those patients were entrusted into the care of that establishment and they should have been proactive in ensuring their safety. I see nothing wrong with indicting them and letting a court determine their fate.

As to the Mayor and Governor of Louisiana I think their lack of action is equally criminal, if not more so, for failing to protect the citizens of that region when they had the assets, time, and ability to do it.

Apparently the "let them lay there and just drown" story was a fabrication. It's shaping up that those people drowned as a result of an immediate surge of water coming from the leavee failure, so there was barely time for the able-bodied folks to get clear yet alone get a lot of bed-ridden folks moved. Now granted, the home was suppossed to have a plan for evacuating all of the patients, but I would guess that plan would only be required to be implemented for a mandatory evac, which was never ordered.

It sounds to me like this was an emotional/reactionary endictment that stemmed from the comments that pinhead said on Meet The Press. He made it sound like those people were left behind to slowly drown over a period of days, which wasn't the truth.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
Apparently the "let them lay there and just drown" story was a fabrication. It's shaping up that those people drowned as a result of an immediate surge of water coming from the leavee failure, so there was barely time for the able-bodied folks to get clear yet alone get a lot of bed-ridden folks moved. Now granted, the home was suppossed to have a plan for evacuating all of the patients, but I would guess that plan would only be required to be implemented for a mandatory evac, which was never ordered.

It sounds to me like this was an emotional/reactionary endictment that stemmed from the comments that pinhead said on Meet The Press. He made it sound like those people were left behind to slowly drown over a period of days, which wasn't the truth.
The city's mandatory evacuation order was issued on Sunday at 09:30 and the state had been under a state of emergency since Friday. The levees didn't break until Monday as the storm passed and the city begins to flood with maximum flooding reached on Tuesday.

Of course it will be an emotional/reactionary indictment, people died due to inaction. Don't you think that the owners of the facility should have taken steps to get these people into a safe location as these were people that were unable to move on their own and since they didn't do that shouldn't they shoulder the responsibility for their inaction?

B

Bruzilla

Ken King said:
Don't you think that the owners of the facility should have taken steps to get these people into a safe location as these were people that were unable to move on their own and since they didn't do that shouldn't they shoulder the responsibility for their inaction?

I think they shoulder the responsibility because they have a requirement to have a plan to evacuate once the order is given, and apparently that plan either wasn't executed or was seriously flawed. In either case they should be held accountable. But, if you're going to charge them with negligent homicide for not following the plan they we're suppossed to, how can you not charge the mayor and others with the same crime for not following out the plan they were suppossed to?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
I think they shoulder the responsibility because they have a requirement to have a plan to evacuate once the order is given, and apparently that plan either wasn't executed or was seriously flawed. In either case they should be held accountable. But, if you're going to charge them with negligent homicide for not following the plan they we're suppossed to, how can you not charge the mayor and others with the same crime for not following out the plan they were suppossed to?
Bru,

I made this comment earlier in the thread;