Deer

gagirl

:elaine: :elaine:

*News : Debilitating Disease Found in WV Deer
Posted by sabraham on 2005/9/29 19:23:01 (69 reads)

NBC25 NEWS- As deer hunting season kicks off in Pennsylvania this Saturday some new restrictions are being put on deer farms to protect the health of the animals and hunters.

The Department of Agriculture is making it mandatory to test deer and elk for chronic wasting disease, a debilitating disorder which resembles Mad Cow Disease.

Just a few weeks ago, deer near Romney, West Virginia in Hampshire County was confirmed to have Chronic Wasting Disease. This area is just twenty five miles from the Pennsylvania line and has caused concern.

“We're very concerned this is the second time we have had a neighboring state, earlier this year is was found in New York. We're just continuing to be hopeful that it has not entered the state," said said Jerry Feaser, from PA Game Commission.

"In the unfortunate case that it has come to Pennsylvania we are prepared with a comprehensive plan to try and contain the disease and eradicate it,” said Feaser.

Although there is no scientific proof this disease can not be caught by humans, officials are recommending that if you come upon an animal that is acting strangely to not shoot it and do not handle the animal.

Folks are advised to call the Game Commission as soon as possible and alert them to the animal’s location so they can contain it and test for the disease.

Reported by Gretchen Gailey
ggailey@nbc25.com

Watch out Maryland :elaine: :elaine:

T

tikipirate

Chronic Wasting Disease...mmm. Venisonlicious! Reminds me of the traditional deer loin with Cranberry/Walnut stuffing. The person who spits out the bullet gets first dibs on the mince pie.

Just kidding... No good hunter's bullet should ever get near the loins...or the hunter near my mom's mince pie.

...and... What's a deer farm? I understand farming upland game (pheasant/grouse/quail) on the east coast because of the habitat loss, but deer are everywhere. ...Too everywhere... I can bag my limit just by driving to work each morning.

Methinks these are deer raised for slaughter as commercial venison, much like cattle, and as cattle suffer from herd diseases. But, luckily, like many diseases they are foiled by heat - the heat from frying, roasting, baking, grilling...

Last edited by a moderator:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
gagirl,

I'm not sure why you think that this is :elaine: :elaine:

Are you pooh poohing hunters because they are evil meat eaters, implying that we should not shoot these animals somehow? Or is this a warning against deer overpopulation that tends to bring diseases like this to the forefront?

Be careful about quoting whole articles like this, we can get the website in trouble with copyright infringement. It's better to excerpt that part you find most interesting and post a link.

Oh, and welcome to the somd loony bin :crazy:

gagirl

tlatchaw said:
gagirl,

I'm not sure why you think that this is :elaine: :elaine:

Are you pooh poohing hunters because they are evil meat eaters, implying that we should not shoot these animals somehow? Or is this a warning against deer overpopulation that tends to bring diseases like this to the forefront?

Be careful about quoting whole articles like this, we can get the website in trouble with copyright infringement. It's better to excerpt that part you find most interesting and post a link.

Oh, and welcome to the somd loony bin :crazy:

:flowers: Thanks for letting me know! Mister? Pumpkinhead? Are you a Mister?

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
There are places that raise deer for commercial deer meat? I didn't know you could buy it in stores. Don't tell my husband!

You know, the whole "hunting is cruel to animals" is a bunch of bunk. The deer that my husband shoots in the woods (that he does eat) has a much better life and more humane death than any cow or chicken that you find on the shelves in the grocery stores. You should see the conditions they live in and how they die in the slaughter factories.

I love me some deer meat... and nice venison chili and cornbread...mmm mmm - good eating!