Setting a Fine Example

blacklabman

On the way to work I pass a bus stop with about half a dozen kids waiting. Yesterday, one of the mothers (I assume) was puffing away on a cigarette. Now that's class!

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Right or wrong, children need to know that the world will not revolve around them and people will do things that are not good for them. I smoke and I can tell you, I might step back from the kids a little but I will not not smoke just because kids are present.

Shetiger

The Hard Way
baileydog said:
Right or wrong, children need to know that the world will not revolve around them and people will do things that are not good for them. I smoke and I can tell you, I might step back from the kids a little but I will not not smoke just because kids are present.
:yeahthat:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
What ever happened to "Do as I say, not as I do". I still believe there are things adults are able to do that children cant. I waited a long time to become grown so I would be able to do what I want. Politically correct is CRAP.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
baileydog said:
What ever happened to "Do as I say, not as I do". I still believe there are things adults are able to do that children cant. I waited a long time to become grown so I would be able to do what I want. Politically correct is CRAP.

:yeahthat:

monkey1906

rockin2007
baileydog said:

Yeah, because last time I checked kids actually listen to everythng their parents tell them to do....

Kids learn through imitation and what they see. It's not about being PC, it's about setting a good example for your kids so they don't die from lung cancer too. :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
baileydog said:
For real. If I wanted to be restricted like a child, I'd still be living with my Ma.

And Blacklabman, why didn't you wave to me when you passed by? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
baileydog said:
I might step back from the kids a little but I will not not smoke just because kids are present.
Really, that the best way to get people to keep their bubble-kids away from you. :yay:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
How many parents here believe that it takes a 'village' to raise your kids? Heres an idea, instead of depending on everyone else to raise your little Billy, DO IT YOURSELF. Shelter him all you want, just dont expect me to participate.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
baileydog said:
How many parents here believe that it takes a 'village' to raise your kids? Heres an idea, instead of depending on everyone else to raise your little Billy, DO IT YOURSELF. Shelter him all you want, just dont expect me to participate.
and yet you start a thread about how it's wrong to smoke in your kids presence.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
baileydog said:
How many parents here believe that it takes a 'village' to raise your kids?
"It takes a village" when it comes to telling parents when you see their kid doing something wrong. Of course, we all know how that turns out :rolleyes: which is why nobody does it anymore.

Other than that, I don't care about some overprotected kid seeing me smoke or drink a beer or swear. Keep your kid in their bubble if you don't want them seeing adults in their natural habitat.

That said, I wouldn't have been smoking at the bus stop. It's rude.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
vraiblonde said:
"It takes a village" when it comes to telling parents when you see their kid doing something wrong. Of course, we all know how that turns out :rolleyes: which is why nobody does it anymore.

Other than that, I don't care about some overprotected kid seeing me smoke or drink a beer or swear. Keep your kid in their bubble if you don't want them seeing adults in their natural habitat.

That said, I wouldn't have been smoking at the bus stop. It's rude.

Yes, we do know how telling the parents turn out. Most dont care and those who seem to cant believe "precious" could do such a thing.

PJumper

Bustem' Down said:
That's true. A lot of people don't realize that there is a smokers etiquette.

School bus stop is an open air space and if I recon right, there's no law prohibiting smokers to light up. And as far as setting up an example, at least the kids see what smokers really look like instead of believing they're as glomorous as the cigarette companies want to portray. By the way, where are the other Moms and Dads? Too cold to walk little Jhonny to the bus stop? If they did, then maybe they can discuss with their little ones how disgusting smoking really is (hold it, I also smoke from time to time).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PJumper said:
School bus stop is an open air space and if I recon right, there's no law prohibiting smokers to light up.
No law, but there's no law that says you can't rip a fart loose in an elevator and people don't do that, either.