Christmas Already

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:howdy:

It's not even Halloween yet and they've already got a Christmas display up at the Boscov's.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
BJ's has theirs up. Wal-Mart was putting theirs up last month. All the stores are joining in now.

No lie - I had about 15 pounds of Christmas catalogs in the mail today. :rolleyes:

T

tikipirate

I already got my first Christmas 'e-card'! Chrissake! I understand that the retailers might be hurting this year because of this or that, but why can't we enjoy autumn anymore? Thanksgiving is the most wonderful and singular American holiday*, but it is stepped all over by the Christmas selling push. Sad...

(*All you wiccans out there, just keep it in your pants.)

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
K-Mart has a really cool giant inflatable Santa on a Motorcycle on a shelf behind the checkout counters for $60.
But you're right, it just makes them seem greedy.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
The wooly caterpillers are predicting a miserable winter, lots of snow. Maybe the retailers believe we'll need all those extra shopping days 'cause the weather will shut down much of SOMD.

But then, the weater man last night said we'll have an unseasonabley warm winter so who to believe. I'm must glad the 'hole' in the ozone layer is in the southern hemisphere.

MargeInCharge

Yep, I think it's too early. The first Christmas stuff I really noticed on display and on sale was at JCPenney in Waldorf last week. Next to the escalators there are several full-size trees with ornaments on them. And I was like...it's still September! I don't remember it being quite that early before.

Since then I've noticed other stuff on sale elsewhere, like today in the new Ross. They had a bunch of Halloween decorations up front, but in the back there was an area devoted to Christmas things. And of course I've noticed the displays at the Hallmark stores, but they generally have their new ornaments up in Oct.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Way too early! Retailers used to wait until after Thanksgiving. Wish they still did.

This is consumer driven. Just refuse to buy any Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving. If enough cunsumers do that, the retailers will find it is a waste of time and money to promote early.

lil_daisy

santa is done with the kiddos- they've been really good this year, most of the time. the grownups can wait for their gift certs till after thanksgiviing.

i like the inflatable snowglobe at BJ's- quite pretty!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
buck said:
How many people think it's too early for retailers to put up christmas stuff?
Not me. I started my Christmas shopping back in June/July. Come Thanksgiving, I want to be spending my money on more important things like food and alcohol, not presents. :dance:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
2ndAmendment said:
This is consumer driven. Just refuse to buy any Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving. If enough cunsumers do that, the retailers will find it is a waste of time and money to promote early.
And while you silly consumers are at it, make sure you don't buy any gas until after Thanksgiving, too. :cheers:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Chasey_Lane said:
And while you silly consumers are at it, make sure you don't buy any gas until after Thanksgiving, too. :cheers:
That's why I'm riding the bike as often a s possible.

Well that and it's way fun

K

Kali

I like Christmas but by December, the effect has worn off. After having it forced down your throat, for 3 months, I'm burned out, come December 25th.

janey83

Twenty Something
:shrug: I started my Christmas shopping this past weekend (saw a present for someone I couldn't pass up), but yeah, the stores have started way too early. It kills me that we see so much of Christmas in the fall, but by December 26th, you see Christmas trees on the curb, and tv/radio are done with music and specials. :ohwell:

Sugarhill

Well, you think the stores are rushing it! Tonight, I swear, in the north 235 lane, just past route 4, and before you get to wildwood shopping center, there was a house and lit up in their livingroom was a christmas tree! It was decorated with all white lights! That's crazy!