Ahhh Progress

SmallTown

Football season!
There was an article in the Southern Maryland Extra today about a church in Waldorf being moved in order to put in a Best Buy.. Apparantly it is right on the corner there, across from Circuit City..

But the article mentioned something about Best Buy having troubles getting the permits needed.. I only glanced at the article so I don't know what is going on.. Anyone else see this and can offer some more input?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Well, that's just what they need. Two of the same type of stores on adjacent street corners. Never understood that concept, here or anywhere.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well the concept is meant to keep prices down but it doesn't always work. It would be nice to have a best buy but I am surprised they are knocking down a church to do it. I say if its not used and it won't hurt anyone, why not?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I like Best Buy a lot. They're great!!! Good prices, lots of variations of things. I think they'd take a lot of business from Circuit City.

OliveOyl

Here's a smart idea. Let's put two of the same stores next to each other and place bets on which one will survive (can anyone say Best Buy)?

Next, let's tear up and MOVE a church (isn't this sacreligous?), as well as most likely divert traffic at one of the BUSIEST intersections in SoMD!

Sure, why not? It's progress! Here's one example of why I don't like SoMD. What an idiotic idea. :burning:

redfish

It sure doesn't seem to be a problem for the church involved. Here's a quote from the article:

"But this is not a story about a mega-store pushing out the little people. The Baptist church tried unsuccessfully for nearly a decade to sell its cramped two acres, Pastor Wayne R. Kempson said. The congregation was growing, but it had no place to expand.

When Best Buy offered $1.8 million for what has become prime commercial terrority in the heart of Waldorf -- across the street from electronics competitor Circuit City -- the church accepted."

K

Kain99

It seems dumb to put a Best Buy in next to Circuit City but secretly I'm glad.

I love Best Buy and I really think they have more to offer!

pilot

Originally posted by cattitude
Well, that's just what they need. Two of the same type of stores on adjacent street corners. Never understood that concept, here or anywhere.

This isn't stupidity--it's a delibarate tactic. It's not by accident, for example, that Home Depot wants to move just across Rt. 4 from Loews--despite the fact that people in Wildewood are protesting it, and there are plenty of other locations in Pax.

Ditto for the new optician's store near the Starbucks, which is just across Rt. 4 from Pearle Vision.

It has to do with competition over market share. One easy way to increase market share is to put your competitor out of business. If you put your store next to theirs and then lower your prices, you can decrease their market share just enough that they can't compete. The newer store has the advantage in attracting people, not only because of the lower prices, but also because of the novelty effect. By the time the novelty effect has worn off, and the first store has had a chance to lower its prices, it's too late.

Good for the consumer initially, but, unfortunately, once the competition has been eliminated, prices go right back up again--maybe even more than they were before.

Wise up people!

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by pilot
This isn't stupidity--it's a delibarate tactic. It's not by accident, for example, that Home Depot wants to move just across Rt. 4 from Loews--despite the fact that people in Wildewood are protesting it, and there are plenty of other locations in Pax.

Ditto for the new optician's store near the Starbucks, which is just across Rt. 4 from Pearle Vision.

It has to do with competition over market share. One easy way to increase market share is to put your competitor out of business. If you put your store next to theirs and then lower your prices, you can decrease their market share just enough that they can't compete. The newer store has the advantage in attracting people, not only because of the lower prices, but also because of the novelty effect. By the time the novelty effect has worn off, and the first store has had a chance to lower its prices, it's too late.

Good for the consumer initially, but, unfortunately, once the competition has been eliminated, prices go right back up again--maybe even more than they were before.

Wise up people!

My point exactly. Just like having Giant, Food Lion and Safeway practically w/i walking distance of each other. Now all are expensive!!!!!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I would presume that the church didn't have another source for $1,800,000 dollars. I would think that such a large amount of money will go a long way towards building a new church, and furthering their work. Seems like a great opportunity for the Church, at a time when many charities and churches are struggling to make ends meet and serve their "customers."

I'm a little confused however, so I will be attending Best Buy during Sunday's church hour. :biggrin:

fuzzyng

I think the priecs at Circuit City are going to be great during their "going out of business sale" :biggrin:

I'll be moving to Waldorf, if the Best Buy is put in... right in their parking lot... I'll be the car that hasn't moved from the handicap spot in months :biggrin:

I do think that the church parish deserves the Circuit City building when it closes :biggrin: "Brothers and sisters of the congregation, I ask you to turn your attention to the 62 inch plasma screen that was mysteriously left behind to watch todays teachings..." :biggrin:

Did someone say Best Buy in Waldorf.....ddddrrroooollllll!!!! A tech geeks heaven. Me and my bro make a day of it on occasion and drive up to Springfield just to go to Best Buy and a few others places of interest. The proposed location in Waldorf absolutely stinks!. The traffic is horendous in that spot. Can you imagine it once Best Buy opens. Nope, the old Hechinger would have been the perfect spot.

mrs potts

I agree - the old Hechinger's building would be a better place for the Best Buy. The traffic at the Route 5/301 intersection is terrible and can only get worst with the Best Buy.

This idiotic move is exactly why I avoid Waldorf on weekends and will not consider moving in Waldorf!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by mrs potts
I agree - the old Hechinger's building would be a better place for the Best Buy. The traffic at the Route 5/301 intersection is terrible and can only get worst with the Best Buy.

This idiotic move is exactly why I avoid Waldorf on weekends and will not consider moving in Waldorf!

Something else is moving into the old Hechinger building. Maybe a Shoppers Food Warehouse?

K

Kizzy

Yes, Shoppers is moving to the old Hechinger's building, but I still have no clue if shoppers will use the old location for storage or if that will be vacant.

The church was happy about the sale. I know from various members that attend. I WANT (don't need) a laptop, so I have been holding off until the competition begins. :clap:

I agree the location really stinks. They are taking the church down and they have already started tearing down HOJO's. This intersection is already a nightmare. They should have bought the empty K-Mart building.

K

Kizzy

They should have bought the empty K-Mart building.

Better yet, why not the empty Super Fresh store in the same shopping center.

:wink: See JH I told you I'm a thread killer

Technogeek

I bet Best Buy corp. heads feel they are to good to use the left overs of closed stores and prefer to build a new building. If thats the case they could have demolished and built new.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
From what I've seen, Best Buy likes to be in new shopping centers. Too bad, because the old Kmart or Super Fresh or Hechinger could really use new tenants.

I like the example of Waldorf Shoppers World--this place found new life with big new tenants (Borders, Sports Authority, Bed Bath and Beyond).

Last edited: