FHA-HUD refund scams

tirdun

staring into the abyss
If you get a letter or email from someone offering to help you claim a FHA-HUD refund check, its either a scam or a rip-off. I know there's not much difference, but here's what I found out after getting one of the rip-off offers and doing some research.

1- There is an authentic FHA refund available to certain homeowners. It's complicated (it is, after all, a gov't agency) and you can read the details here.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/comp/refunds/index.cfm

2- Certain people are scamming homeowners by claiming they're due a refund. These are more often emails than US mail. You can go to the above link and enter your name in the form at the bottom (lastname firstname MI) and find out instantly if you're due money. There, I just saved you the tracer fee. Unless you're feeling really generous.

3- Certain iffy banks and mortgage companies are offering to "trace" the refund. In other words they'll fill in your name in the website and then fill out the form you need for the refund. For a cost. They'll also offer to write you a check today as a loan if you sign over the (bigger) check from HUD.

Oh, and if you don't actually qualify for a loan, well I'm sure they've got a deal for you on a high interest home equity loan or re-fi. Maybe they'll sell you some popular prescription drugs too, I dunno. And since you've done business with them, they can call you despite the do-not-call list.