Inflation rises in U.S.

Carmalita

NEW YORK U.S. inflation rose to its highest monthly rate in more than 25 years in September, the government reported Friday, reflecting the rise in gasoline and natural gas prices after the hurricanes Katrina and Rita struck the Gulf Coast.

Excluding the soaring energy costs, prices remained restrained through most of the economy. The overall consumer price index, which has been on a moderate rise through much of the year, surged 1.2 percent last month, a pace not seen since March 1980, the Labor Department reported. The core inflation rate, which excludes volatile energy and food prices, rose only 0.1 percent, a pace that has stayed steady for the past four months.

Full Story

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My, you are just a little fountain of knowledge, you little news reaper, you!

Surged 1.2%, eh? Well, that is just astronimical and I'm certain we're all going to die. Thank you so much for warning us!

C

czygvtwkr

I don't see how we can say that we dont have inflation when the cost of single family homes (by far the most expensive thing most people buy) has gone up so dramatically. Couple that with energy costs and I say we are in a fairly strong period of inflation.

Carmalita

czygvtwkr said:
I don't see how we can say that we dont have inflation when the cost of single family homes (by far the most expensive thing most people buy) has gone up so dramatically. Couple that with energy costs and I say we are in a fairly strong period of inflation.

As the story said, this was the highest monthly rate in twenty-five years. I wonder how much it would be if gasoline costs were not included?

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Carmalita said:
As the story said, this was the highest monthly rate in twenty-five years. I wonder how much it would be if gasoline costs were not included?

It was in the piece you quoted!

The core inflation rate, which excludes volatile energy and food prices, rose only 0.1 percent, a pace that has stayed steady for the past four months.

Steve

Enjoying life!
And home price increases are regional. This area has seen a spike in recent years, but nationally the average has been less than 10% per year.

2000 $139,000 4.3% increase
2001 $147,800 6.3%
2002 $156,200 5.7%
2003 $169,500 8.5%
2004 $185,200 9.3%

Carmalita

aps45819 said:
:yeahthat: 0.1% You posted it :dead:

The part that I quoted included energy AND FOOD. My wonder was only about how much was due to the increase in the cost of gasoline. Food prices have not risen as dramatically as have gasoline costs.