Good Bye Old Downtown Lexington Park

redneck_woman

Starting Over
First it was the old movie theatres, Jack & Ray's Rexall Drugs, the Lexington Park hotel, the library, the Hub, Dietz Shoes, Park Jewelers, the Tropics, the Laundromat, the Sunset Lounge, the Brass Ass, Pat's Bar, Eddie's Nav-air Grill, Cedar Point Tavern, the A & P, the Foodland, Safeway, SAV-On Gas, Ben Franklin, Western Auto, Jenkins Amoco, Duff's Drive-in, Rue's Roost, King's Shoparama, The Piccolo, Lord Calvert Motel, the Belvedere Motor Inn and Restaurant, Honey Lane, Gibraltar Home Sales, the Office, the Dock, the Two-Spot Club, the Horseshoe Club, Peach Blossom Inn, the Spinning Wheel, Hopkins Roller Rink, Patuxent Motors, Mr. Donut, Baskin-Robbins, Bambinos, Marlyns Young Wear, Lo-Ru's Dress Shop, Fashion Center, Sears, Treasury Drugs, Maryland National Bank, Montgomery Wards, Pete's Galley, Cato's Texaco, Maryland Capital Savings & Loan, Jack Daugherty's Merchandise Mart, Hardees, Simmons Exxon, and the list goes on, all are gone now due to competitive changes in the market, deaths of owners, retirements, sale or some due to progress and government actions such as road widening and redevelopment projects. Now the St. Mary's Commissioners are going into the real estate development business, but, of course, claim that they are not. We report, you decide. http://www.stmarystoday.com/board_okays_redevelopment_scheme.htm

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I really don't want to read the local gossip rag, but your post makes perfect sense. It's called progress, and it's not specific to Lexington Park. It happens all over.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
redneck_woman said:
First it was the old movie theatres, Jack & Ray's Rexall Drugs, the Lexington Park hotel, the library, the Hub, Dietz Shoes, Park Jewelers, the Tropics, the Laundromat, the Sunset Lounge, the Brass Ass, Pat's Bar, Eddie's Nav-air Grill, Cedar Point Tavern, the A & P, the Foodland, Safeway, SAV-On Gas, Ben Franklin, Western Auto, Jenkins Amoco, Duff's Drive-in, Rue's Roost, King's Shoparama, The Piccolo, Lord Calvert Motel, the Belvedere Motor Inn and Restaurant, Honey Lane, Gibraltar Home Sales, the Office, the Dock, the Two-Spot Club, the Horseshoe Club, Peach Blossom Inn, the Spinning Wheel, Hopkins Roller Rink, Patuxent Motors, Mr. Donut, Baskin-Robbins, Bambinos, Marlyns Young Wear, Lo-Ru's Dress Shop, Fashion Center, Sears, Treasury Drugs, Maryland National Bank, Montgomery Wards, Pete's Galley, Cato's Texaco, Maryland Capital Savings & Loan, Jack Daugherty's Merchandise Mart, Hardees, Simmons Exxon, and the list goes on, all are gone now due to competitive changes in the market, deaths of owners, retirements, sale or some due to progress and government actions such as road widening and redevelopment projects.
My mom and I were just talking about this last weekend. All the businesses that have come and gone over the years and reminiscing about them. You've named some even I have forgotten about and some she named that I don't remember. :smile:

Now the St. Mary's Commissioners are going into the real estate development business, but, of course, claim that they are not. We report, you decide. http://www.stmarystoday.com/board_okays_redevelopment_scheme.htm
I just see them as facilitating the overhaul of an area that has been a run-down eyesore for many years in order to attract new businesses and more customers. :shrug:

K

Kain99

LPCity / Great Mills is a Cess Pool..... I grew up there and miss those old place too but I'm thrilled that plans are in teh works to wipe it out.:wink:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
happyazz said:
It Was'nt A Cess Pool When I Grew Up There!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe it was, and you were in your own element and was comfortable.. ??

just a theory!!