America criticized for Halloween?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Oh, brother...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/venezuela/story/0,12716,1605283,00.html

President Hugo Chávez yesterday urged Venezuelan parents not to let their children dress up as witches and ghouls for Halloween, calling it a "game of terror" - a US custom with no place in the South American country's cultural traditions.
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051026/D8DFRN3O6.html
So the mayor of Rankweil, a town near the border with Switzerland, has launched a one-man campaign disparaging Halloween as a "bad American habit" and urging families to skip it this year...

Although Halloween has become increasingly popular across Europe - complete with carved pumpkins, witches on broomsticks, makeshift houses of horror and costumed children rushing door to door for candy - it's begun to breed a backlash...

Frosini denounced the holiday as a "manifestation of neo-paganism" and an expression of American cultural supremacy. "Pumpkins show their emptiness," he said.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Frosini denounced the holiday as a "manifestation of neo-paganism" and an expression of American cultural supremacy. "Pumpkins show their emptiness," he said.

:lmao: :killingme

What's funny is that Leftist America-haters will jump on this bandwagon (we know how much they love it when the US is criticized), not realizing they are aligning themselves with fundamentalist Christians, who have been against Halloween for as long as I can remember.

:killingme

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
vraiblonde said:
:lmao: :killingme

What's funny is that Leftist America-haters will jump on this bandwagon (we know how much they love it when the US is criticized), not realizing they are aligning themselves with fundamentalist Christians, who have been against Halloween for as long as I can remember.

:killingme

Very well said vraiblonde! :cheers:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
The tradition of dressing up like ghouls and witches dates back to the middle ages, it's not an american invention.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
When I was in college, there was a hellfire-and-damnation preacher who gave noontime sermons each school day. On Halloween, he would stand there and rant for hours. The holiday was a big party day on campus, and at first I assumed that he was urging kids to stay sober and celibate.

My answer for the fundamentalists and the foreigners who criticize Halloween? It's just a celebration. It's a chance to laugh at things that normally frighten us, like death and monsters. My kids love playing dress-up and painting pumpkins. Why deny them that fun?