DVR Question

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
So the cable guy was just here to deliver and hook up my DVR, and I happen to notice it has a USB plug on the front and back of it. Does this mean I could hypothetically download somehow something that I digitally record and say, hypothetically burn it to a DVD on my laptop? :whistle:

I wouldn't see that as necessarily illegal anyway so long as it's for personal home viewing. For example, if I want to record the race to watch later, I could do so with a VCR and that's okay so long as I don't rebroadcast it for monetary gain.

Anyone know how one might go about this? :tap:

crabcake

cattitude said:
Good thing you don't need help with hauling a refrigerator.
I bought a utility trailer for that crap! :lol:

aps45819 said:
:shrug: plug it in and see what happens.

Ooh Ooh, I know. read the manual
Well, it's not so simple. I don't have a cord that has male USB on both ends, so I'll have to dig out my flashkey thing and try that. But there's nothing in the manual that came with it that tells me how to do this (I'm smart enough to have checked that first. :nerd:). :lol: And I asked the cable guy but he said he wasn't trained on how (if it's possible) to do that, but I wouldn't figure they would. :ohwell:

And even with the flashkey, there would have to be an option somewhere on the DVR box menu to download to it, whereas (I'm guessing) if I have a male/male USB cord, I could access the DVR as "hardware" from my laptop and probably download that way. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it and if they were successful, or if they know how to go about it if my thinking is wrong.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Crack it

Look for a hardware crackIf you download some kind of driver for that, you might be able to install that for Windows. Maybe there's some drivers written.

crabcake

There is a device you can get from Best Buy which plugs into your computer via USB and has A/V and S-Video input from the DVR. I bought one today and will test it out here in the next couple days and will report on it in case anyone else is interested in trying it out. :yay: