Send More Marines...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Great read for ALL:

Hold it. You anti's won't believe any of it. Why bother?

http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20051121-093501-9601r.htm

Fun fact:

Fun fact: Random autopsies on dead insurgents shows a high level of opiate use.

Of note:

The .45 pistol: Thumbs up. Still the best pistol round out there. Everybody authorized to carry a sidearm is trying to get their hands on one. With few exceptions, it can reliably be expected to put 'em down with a torso hit. The special-ops guys -- who are doing most of the pistol work -- use the HK military model and supposedly love it. The old government model .45s are being re-issued en masse.

Of note:

The Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle: Thumbs way up. Spectacular range and accuracy and hits like a freight train. Used frequently to take out vehicle suicide bombers -- we actually stop a lot of them -- and barricaded enemies. Definitely here to stay.

Rummy:

SEND MORE TROOPS

Bottom line, though, and they all say this: There are not enough guys there to drive the final stake through the heart of the insurgency, primarily because there aren't enough troops in-theater to shut down the borders with Iran and Syria. The Iranians and the Syrians just cannot stand the thought of Iraq being an American ally -- with, of course, permanent U.S. bases there.

Let's shut them down.

Now.

Baywatchv8

Some times old tech IE .45 Cal, M-14 are tried and tested. Some of the friends I have coming back from the War zone can't wait to get back to finish the job. Hope the law makers just north of us don't start interfering like in the Nam! GOOD Read thanks!

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Baywatchv8 said:
Some times old tech IE .45 Cal, M-14 are tried and tested. Some of the friends I have coming back from the War zone can't wait to get back to finish the job. Hope the law makers just north of us don't start interfering like in the Nam! GOOD Read thanks!
Lawmakers love interfering with war. Of course they know better than the Generals in theatre.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My one and only choice in hangun is .45, and is still the only handgun I own..

We had to get a turret weapon (a weapon that could fit in the confined spaces of the Bradley turret for personal use) for the Bradley Scout Vehicle, they wanted us to use the Beretta, until we found out there were .45 Grease Guns available nobody was using. We opted for the WWII era M3 Grease Gun to go into the turret of the M3 Bradley.. SMART choice, but I think we were the only unit that did it!

ylexot

Super Genius
BTW, I think part of the reason the 9mm isn't hacking it is because they are required to use ball ammo (no HP) and it just over-penetrates. Of course, if they used HP, they'd probably have more feed issues.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ylexot said:
BTW, I think part of the reason the 9mm isn't hacking it is because they are required to use ball ammo (no HP) and it just over-penetrates. Of course, if they used HP, they'd probably have more feed issues.
This is also true of the .45.. all jacketed, so any gain in going HP with the nine would be an exponential improvement with the .45. The reason they went with the nine was at the time there were two handguns in the inventory.. .45 for men, and .38's for women and pilots.. 9mm was a "middle" weapon that both men and pilots could handle.

I always preferred 25mm or 120mm to any of the above. They need to bring back flechette rounds for the 120mm.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
ylexot said:
But it's cheap.

ylexot

Super Genius
itsbob said:
This is also true of the .45.. all jacketed, so any gain in going HP with the nine would be an exponential improvement with the .45.
Yes, but the 45 ball doesn't penetrate as far since it is slower and has a larger diameter. Therefore, more energy goes into the target which translates into "stopping power". My comment was more of a general nature towards people who might see this and think that 9mm is weak and won't drop someone. The type of round plays an important part as well. Of course, shot placement is the most important, but not the easiest thing to do under stress.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I thought that unless...

ylexot said:

...you were truly special forces, it was all ball .45 or 9mm???

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
ylexot said:
Yes, but the 45 ball doesn't penetrate as far since it is slower and has a larger diameter. Therefore, more energy goes into the target which translates into "stopping power". My comment was more of a general nature towards people who might see this and think that 9mm is weak and won't drop someone. The type of round plays an important part as well. Of course, shot placement is the most important, but not the easiest thing to do under stress.
Since in the Navy we have no choice but to use the 9mm, I always trained my security teams to use the philosophy of "Shoot, Shoot, Look, Shoot".

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Wickedwrench said:
Don't know about 120mm but I had some flechette rounds for my 12 gauge that were butt nasty!
The 105mm round in the M60, the 152mm in the Sheridan, AND the 40mm M79/203 all had flechettes that were NASTY!! Dart sized razor blades set into a canister fused for range (except for the 79/203).. ie, troops at 500 meters, you set the fuze for 500 meters.. canister exploded about 450 meters sending thousands of large razorblades (about 4 inches long) down range.