Farm Animals In Need

bernsm

Hello All,

Although the Snowflake Society, a horse and hoof animal rescue branch of the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League, has not officially launched, 5 sheep and 5 goats are in desperate need of our help.

As best as we know, these animals were abandoned on a farm by their owner at least four weeks ago. The property is up for sale, and the animals "come
with the property." The sheep and goats are not even contained in a fenced
area and are wandering the property which is adjacent to a busy gravel pit.
They have no fresh water, and the water in the too-tall troughs is filthy.
If it were not for someone recently leaving food for them, they would most
likely be dead by now.

Animal control has been notified and has been aware of the situation.
Please call them and let them know that people care and want something done. 301-475-8018. These animals are located on Burnt Mill Road. However, in the long run, we can't stop there. Please let our County Comissioners and anyone related to our court system know that we care and want animal abusers prosecuted.

What you can do: 1) Forward this to anyone who can help or who cares. 2)
Make phone calls. 3) PROVIDE FOSTER CARE FOR ANY OF THESE ANIMALS. 4) Make room in your permanent flock for any one (or all) of these abandoned
animals. 5) Join the Snowflake Society to provide funding for abandoned,
abused, and neglected horses and hoof animals. Hopefully, you will have an
opportunity to do this before the new year.

If the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League takes legal ownership of these
animals, if desperate, we can hold them temporarily on our property in
Loveville. If so, we will need 1) food, 2) a 50 gallon water trough with
heater, and 3) a pool of volunteers to look in on them every day.

If you are interested in helping in any way, please contact Trish at
tcole84@hotmail.com or 301-866-0084. Please note that she will be in
Mississippi working with hurricane animal relief Nov. 30-Dec. 04, but will
check messages and connect you with someone who will orchestrate this
rescue.

Also, we need to generate a list of potential horse and hoof fosters for the
future--as the future is apparently here. Please call if interested.

Also, if interested in being on the committee of the newly formed Snowflake
Society for horse and hoof rescue, please call Trish. 301-866-0084

By the way, at least six cats were abandoned as well on the Burnt Mill
location. If you need a barn cat, call. They are sweet, sweet, sweet...and
desperate. There's a grey tabby, an orange and white, one all black slender
male, 2 grey and whites, and one brown tabby. SMAWL will pay for the
spaying/neutering and shots.

Best Wishes,
St. Mary's Animal Welfare League

appyday said:
This is not a true story...get your facts straight..and you even sent an email to the lady that owns them...
What's up with this Appy? I was always under the impression SMAWL was a great group. Got one of my dogs from them. Is this just a story to generate business?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
bernsm said:
Hello All,

Although the Snowflake Society, a horse and hoof animal rescue branch of the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League, has not officially launched,
Best Wishes,
St. Mary's Animal Welfare League

At this rate, it won't. I hate seeing Snowflake's name, and Animal Welfare League names associated with something like this. It's just sad.

Has someone forwarded this to the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League? I'm sure they'd be interested in reading it.

tcole

SMAWL Response

The Snowflake Society and the St. Mary’s Animal Welfare League is involved in this situation because we were contacted by concerned community members who had viewed the property for purchase. Alarming conditions were reported to us, another rescue group, and animal control. The animals appeared to have no food source, zero fresh water, and no fencing to contain them safely. The animals roam freely onto a roadway and in an operating gravel pit. As we are animal advocates concerned for all animal welfare, we looked into the situation and contacted the appropriate agencies to offer help.

We did view the property three times. We saw no evidence of grain or water and the fencing is down. Because we work primarily with cats and dogs and have started horse and hoof rescue only in response to an obvious need in our compassionate community, we decided to bring a sheep raiser on our final visit to get professional recommendations and he confirmed that the initial concerns brought to our attention were valid.

The goal of our original post was to secure potential foster homes, if needed, for the sheep and goats as our county does not have a facility to house these animals if a seizure occurs. We are pursuing all legal channels to investigate the concerns brought to us. In addition, if allowed, as with Snowflake, we will hire a vet at our expense to assess the condition of the animals.

We do not need to “drum up” business as we are non-profit organization and business for us comes in the form of animal neglect, abuse, and abandonment in unimaginable numbers. No thanks.

Let’s remember too that these same types of reactive emails were generated when we initiated our rescue of Snowflake. We were told to mind our business. We were told the Park Hall horse was fine. We didn’t stop. Our concern is for the animals who have no one to speak for them. That’s what we do. That’s why we are involved.

Pictures are coming for your review.

Thank you.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
tcole, thanks for clearing that up. Ya' know what would be nice? If you could have one person designated and authorized to post here regarding any action being taken, requests for fosters, etc. It would be a lot easier for us to know if something is legit, regardless of arguments from someone who has been on the forums for a long time.

tcole

Response

I don't know where to begin with appyday. However, as I am involved in the situation both as a member of SMAWL and now as an individual of which false statements are certainly being made, I feel forced to respond to much of this misinformation. I did not file any police report nor try to have anyone arrested. This is getting almost laughable--if only the welfare of innocent animals were not involved. I suppose police reports might be of some type of public record, and I would suggest to appyday to produce one.

As far as animal control is concerned, SMAWL appreciates a working relationship with animal control as our goals are the same. SMAWL has been in contact with animal control, also this morning. I cannot comment accurately as no report has been issued as of yet.

As far as our email "warning" the owners, that was never a concern. We are assuming that the complaints recieved by animal control weeks prior to our involvement would have sufficiently notified the owners that people were concerned.

On a personal note, I am certainly uncomfortable with the misinformation being circulated. As an individual and as a SMAWL representative, I will continue to use all legal and appropriate to means available to help the animals in our community. If in the future we as a group are asked to locate foster homes, we will again do so. Unfortunately, because I was made the designated contact for foster homes, I have become the target of misinformation. I hope our focus can return to bettering the living standards of the animals involved.

bernsm

elaine said:
tcole, thanks for clearing that up. Ya' know what would be nice? If you could have one person designated and authorized to post here regarding any action being taken, requests for fosters, etc. It would be a lot easier for us to know if something is legit, regardless of arguments from someone who has been on the forums for a long time.

Thank you for that great suggestion. Like most volunteer organizations we are made up of individuals who pick up tasks and assignments when time allows, including posting on somd.com. But I see your point - you heard from me first and then tcole. Though they were coordinated posts, I can see how it can be confusing or misleading to the reader. I will make sure that we set up our own account from our e-mail service so that there's only one voice from the SMAWL Board. We will post our identity when this takes place which should be within the next week or two. Thanks again for your suggestion.

W

WildHorses

All differences aside, are the goats, sheep and cats okay? As we all know, there are three sides to every story (yours, mine and the actual objective story). Just hope everyone didn't get caught up in the misunderstandings and forgot about the animals. :flowers:

Animals4Life

Thanks WildHorses for asking the same question that I wanted to ask. I had to join this am just to try and get some simple questions answered. I was just wondering why there was so much drama involved with who called who and who said what and who sent an email and etc? The heart of the matter should be the well being and placement of the animals. I mean if this property was for sale then I am assuming there was an alternate plan for the animals once the property was sold so why not follow that plan? And if the owner is taking care of them but no longer wants to or feels like they should be removed right away then why would taking them to the meat market solve anything? Appyday, since you apparently know the owners why not encourage the owners to give them to a rescue org of some kind instead of sending them to slaughter. Seems to me if the owners cared for them they would not take your advice of getting rid of them quickly in that sense. It just seems shameless for these animals to meet an untimely death because of who said what to whom. If everyone involved cares about the animals then why not work together on the situation? Thanks for everyone's time.

Cowgirl

If the goats/sheep still need a home, I would be interested in a few of them. I'd like details like how many, what ages, etc. What sexes? Does anyone know the breeds? If you send me pics that would be great. Just PM me with any information. Thanks!

W

WildHorses

I'm up to my neck in goats, but do have two pet sheep in a big barn and turnout who would love company. PM me with details if they still need a home.

Cowgirl

Sorry Foxxy, didn't realize I had so many messages saved up..they're all cleared out now!!

bernsm

Thanks to all who have expressed their concern for these animals and your offers to help. SMAWL will continue to monitor this situation. We have communicated with Animal Control and will continue to do so. We know for a fact that they have been involved and we were told they were investigating the matter. Though we have worked closely with Animal Control in the past, they always remain closed-mouth while conducting an investigation and this case is no different. It was this frustrating silence that prompted the community to involve SMAWL in the first place.

If for some reason the animals are seized or if the owners decide to relinquish ownership, as they did with Snowflake, the county will turn to SMAWL to help with foster or permanent home placement. If you are interested in fostering or possibly giving one or some of these goats and sheep a home should they come into SMAWL's possession, please e-mail SMAWL at information@smawl.org.

Also, it never hurts to let Animal Control know that the community expects action out of them, whether it be this investigation or future neglect/abuse cases. Their number is 301-475-8018.

Thank you for your concern and support.

bernsm

bernsm said:
If for some reason the animals are seized or if the owners decide to relinquish ownership, as they did with Snowflake . . .

I did not mean to imply that these animals were owned by the same people as Snowflake. Different case, different owners. My apologies.

W

WildHorses

I didn't mean to call SMAWL back in, just thought I'd offer a home, if the owner needed one, to the sheep. Sorry. :whack: :bonk: :tantrum

V

Vixen

404 said:
Oh. I thought this was another Kizzy and Crabcake thread. Never mind.

You thought they were looking for a sheep to :gossip: and you wanted to play dress up.
:smack: