Ideas for New Businesses in Southern MD

pilot

The recent closure of Chesapeake Bagels got me thinking about how much I miss not being able to get a good bagel or a quick deli sandwich close to home anymore. I eat this kind of food for convenience--who wants to drive 45 minutes just to get a bagel!

Like many people here, I don't want to see the area overdeveloped. But there are a few things I would really like to see come here that might improve the quality of life a bit without detracting from the peace and quiet.

To start with, I'd love to see a new bagel/deli place to replace the one we lost.

The other thing the area could use is a movie theater where all the seats have tables attached, and you can order a full meal.

Any other ideas (please don't say more WalMarts!)?

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
How about a good old fashioned Drive Inn Theater, with a go cart track? Movies at night and go cart during the day.

It would be nice to have a decent driving range....

When I lived in Washington State there were drive thru Coffee Kisok's...just pull up, get your coffee/latte and go on to work. They had bagels too...:banana:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by SEABREEZE 1957
How about a good old fashioned Drive Inn Theater, with a go cart track? Movies at night and go cart during the day.

It would be nice to have a decent driving range....

When I lived in Washington State there were drive thru Coffee Kisok's...just pull up, get your coffee/latte and go on to work. They had bagels too...:banana:

The drive up coffee place is a great idea! Any place with a drive up for coffee/breakfast is a great idea. I hate fast food breakfast with a passion. It's a pain in the butt to get out of the car and actually go into a place with a 1 year old in tow. Especially coffee. When I lived in Waldorf I can't tell you how much of my money Dunkin Donuts got just because they had a drive through.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Charlies Deli in Millison Plaza, right around the corner from the closed bagel bakery has great deli sandwiches. He is also open for breakfast and makes some of the best eegs in the area. Real home fries also.
From what I was told from a friend of the owner of Ches Bagel Bakery, he just wasn't making money. The place always looked busy but then again I have no idea what he had to pay to operate his business.
Now I just heard that Shoppers Warehouse isn't doing the sales that they expected, and there is some talk that they are evaluating the situation. Why they thought that they would do any better than Super Fresh is beyond me. Let's see ,,, a population that is still under 100,000 and 11 or 12 super markets, that averages about 8000 POSSIBL customer/market that only works on a bottom line of under 5% ,,,hmmmmmm. Doesn't look to surprising to me.
Would love to see other businesses come to the area, New and unique stores but when you do the math.some things won't work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Chuckster hit the nail on the head. There just isn't the population to support so many businesses.

Put down my vote for a drive-in theater - not for you all but up here for ME!
:lol:

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by vraiblonde
There just isn't the population to support so many businesses.

There also isn't the population of employable people here. Stores and restaurants are still begging for people, but this is also true up in Waldorf. Some of the ones you hire will also rip you off and think nothing of it. I have to beleive that part of the problem was that the owner was an absentee owner and trusted employees to do the daily operations. Can we say "Friends eat Free"?
The other problem, once again, is that people in St Mary's don't support the local businesses as much as they could.
No you won't hear me say WalMart or will you see me in there.

RangerJohn

Originally posted by SEABREEZE 1957

Having been up to the Puget Sound area (Good ol' NAS Whidbey Island) several times, I can attest to the large number of coffee kiosks that are operated by chains and independent owners...in fact, I think it must be a Washington State Law that a latte' kiosk must be located at least every 500 yards on large and medium sized thoroughfares. When I was in the Navy in San Diego, I used to pass by 10 Starbuck's and 3 other stands on my way from Scripps Ranch to either North Island or 32nd Street.

Most fast food franchises depend upon entry-level labour, who are paid no more than minimum wage. It is difficult to find those entry-level workers with the necessary work ethic, a large number of them concentrate upon their studies, and lets face it, a young person who lacks the discipline to take advantage of a free high school education, usually (but not always) lacks the discipline to excel in the workplace.

Personally, I think the perfect business to open here would be a Krispy Kreme franchise located at the site of the old Western Steer restaurant at the corner of 235 and Route 4. They would kick the pants off of the Al Quaeda Donut connection, as well as put a serious dent in the business of every other breakfast restaurant/diner in the area.

now if I could only come up the $750K Franchise fee....hmmmmm

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
I was one of the first employee's of Chesapeake Bagel Bakery and recently went back ther in a part time position, the change of the base gate was the major killer of the bakery...When I was running it we were pulling in $2000 a day. In the end they were only pulling $400 a day! Overhead was at least 3 times that! We had absolutely no customer base in the evenings. I tried to talk him into moving it up to First Colony, but he closed instead. I have an idea....to all the lost customers, travel up to Annapolis, Tom has a bakery in Annapolis. Voice your opinions....tell him you want it back but in a location with better access and parking!!!!

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Originally posted by RangerJohn

Personally, I think the perfect business to open here would be a Krispy Kreme franchise located at the site of the old Western Steer restaurant at the corner of 235 and Route 4. They would kick the pants off of the Al Quaeda Donut connection, as well as put a serious dent in the business of every other breakfast restaurant/diner in the area.
The county Commisioners just did a study on that intersection to see if it will support a WAWA's...the intersection is close to failing. They said we would end up with another Chancellors Monster. First Colony puts to much strain on 235.........Personally I would LOVE for something to go in there. I hate to see empty buildings!

K

Kain99

What about a Water park? Lazy River, Water Slides, etc... The idea should boost tourism and I'm sure the locals will eat it up!

It would of course need to be slightly upscale..... With an affordable Restaraunt (Local Seafood) Chicken Salad, Hot Dogs, Pizza and Ice cream for the kids.

We could add the Go - Kart Park here too.... :wink:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by chuckster
I have to beleive that part of the problem was that the owner was an absentee owner and trusted employees to do the daily operations. Can we say "Friends eat Free"?

The other problem, once again, is that people in St Mary's don't support the local businesses as much as they could.
No you won't hear me say WalMart or will you see me in there.

I'm with you on the Walmart deal. I can count on one hand, the number of times I've been in there, and only half as many have I made a purchase.

As for absentee owners, that seems to be a problem with people who aren't in business. They think they can drop a few dimes and open up a shop, then have someone else run it (ie. watch their investment for them.) Most small businesses can't afford a business manager. So, if you're the owner, you're either hands-on, every day, in the trenches setting the example. (As you well know...) Or someone else is "hands-in" stealing/wasting time, money or both. I believe that goes with any business, and any type of business. Not just the failed bagel shop.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Kain99
What about a Water park? Lazy River, Water Slides, etc... The idea should boost tourism and I'm sure the locals will eat it up!

It would of course need to be slightly upscale..... With an affordable Restaraunt (Local Seafood) Chicken Salad, Hot Dogs, Pizza and Ice cream for the kids.

We could add the Go - Kart Park here too.... :wink:

There's a water park in Chesapeake Beach.
However, I can't ever get too accustomed to the idea of swimming in the colletive urine of 87- six year olds!
:barf:

K

Kain99

Well.................... That's what chlorine is for! I'm pretty sure that there is enough distance between St. Mary's County and Hells Angel's town to make the venture profitable. :neener:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Kain99
Well.................... That's what chlorine is for! I'm pretty sure that there is enough distance between St. Mary's County and Hells Angel's town to make the venture profitable. :neener:

And besides...you said "upscale".
Nothing that really fits that description here in Calvert!
:biggrin:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Charlies Deli in Millison Plaza, right around the corner from the closed bagel bakery has great deli sandwiches. He is also open for breakfast and makes some of the best eegs in the area. Real home fries also.

Is Charlie's the same as the old Showtime Deli? Same owners and menu?

From what I was told from a friend of the owner of Ches Bagel Bakery, he just wasn't making money. The place always looked busy but then again I have no idea what he had to pay to operate his business.

Thanks, Chuckster. I would be curious to know what the owner had to pay. I've heard that the rents for business space in St. Mary's are obscenely high.

Also, I wonder if a business closes and the bank finds someone else to move into that space, does the bank fold all or part of the old merchant's debts into the new merchant's rent?

SmallTown

Football season!
Now I just heard that Shoppers Warehouse isn't doing the sales that they expected, and there is some talk that they are evaluating the situation. Why they thought that they would do any better than Super Fresh is beyond me. Let's see ,,, a population that is still under 100,000 and 11 or 12 super markets, that averages about 8000 POSSIBL customer/market that only works on a bottom line of under 5% ,,,hmmmmmm. Doesn't look to surprising to me.
Would love to see other businesses come to the area, New and unique stores but when you do the math.some things won't work.

Super Fresh and shoppers are completely different types of stores (prices) so I think it was a good gamble.

If that was a bad decision, how about the local boys putting in another store even after shoppers went in? And with this prices?? Sheesh.