Life Insurance Payout Investment

C

czygvtwkr

My mom is recently widowed and will be receiving a life insurance payout. I need to figure out what to do with it for her. She already has some stocks and I have talked to financial advisors about mutual funds but honestly what they showed me for low risk funds had less of a payout than some of the best CD rates out there. (about 5.5%)

The life insurance payout she will get will be 150k, overall not including the house which she owns she will have about 280k in assets and is not elegible for social security for a few years yet.

dustin

UAIOE
How is the real estate market in her area?

Possible investment in a commercial business?

Perhaps buy a home and rent it out?

:shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
That's enough money to consider using an accountant. Anything else you get off of here will be amatuer guesses. We mean well, but if we were that smart would we still be here?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
MMDad said:
That's enough money to consider using an accountant. Anything else you get off of here will be amatuer guesses. We mean well, but if we were that smart would we still be here?

A financial advising accountant is usually a bad move. Accountants know how to tally money, pay taxes, etc..., but they are rarely good at the other side, as well.

I highly recommend stoping by an Edward Jones office and letting them get the complete financial picture and timeline. A lot of financial advisers will pre-condition their recommendation to what they think you want, but a good EJ adviser will take the whole financial picture and tell you what you really should do.

A couple problems you have already...

1) You are talking limited funds for retirement as is. You should be trying to increase the value on that $280k until she gets another fixed income (i.e. social security) and not using any of it to survive till then, if possible. If you deplete that any further (don't at least break even), that doesn't help future matters.

2) Social security isn't going to do much for her. If she has a valuable home and she can down size, she should consider that. If she can capture at least another $100-$150k, she will do okay in retirement. The rule here is to assume about 5-6% of her retirement nest egg will be the income she can take out of yearly if she plans to maintain the fortune. If she doesn't need to save any of the funds themselves, a fixed annuity is her best option then and will give her a better level of income than the 5-6%. She can also do a fixed annuity with a small survivor benefit to cover costs at death (like a fixed plus $50,000 survivor benefit).

3) Don't speculate at all with that money like Dustin suggested. Don't play real estate, don't do small business. With her that close to retirement fixed income she would be the mainstay to increase on... not what anyone thinks is going to happen in any market.

4) The simple rule is your percentage of fixed income investment should be around equal to your age. If you are 60, then 60% should be flat fixed income investments. That doesn't mean put the rest in stocks. The rest needs to be conservative, too, at that point. The highest risk you should take is conservative growth and income funds (such as American Funds, USAA, Fidelity, and a few others).

MMDad is right on one point. You need to speak to an appropriate professional who isn't just trying to show you something to buy right now. They need to be looking at the whole picture and planning years ahead.

edit: Also, a side point, is how her health is. If a lot of women in her family live long healthy lives and she shows signs of being the same, helping that fortune last is imperative and leaning toward an annuity is better (she will probably live long enough to get a benefit from it). On the flip side, if she is in poor health, an annuity is a bad idea because she will never capture the full value more than likely. Annuities are calculated based on actuarys... you want to get an annuity if you feel you will at least make the actuarial figure for you.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Well she has a very nice house, in southern maryland it would be a $350k house. But she lives in the real world LOL and its worth about $175k. As long as she can take care of herself she isn't going to move. It isn't a large house but a moderately sized house (only 1 kid).

Social security will actually be enough for her to live on if she waits till she is 62 to start collecting, the average family income there is only 35k a year and my dads social security payment would have been $1700 a month. I think she could live on $1000-$1200 a month easily. She hasn't worked herself since 1973 (when got pregnant with me). Her mother died of cancer when she was the age she is now (55) but her fathers side of the family (14 kids total) all live to be 95-105. I am her only survivor and could care less about getting any survivor benefits I just want her to live comfortably and not worry.

And like I said I have talked to a financial advisor and done some research myself and found that the low risk type funds offer very little in return.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just remeber "Financial Advisers" are salesman, and may not point you to the best investment for your mom, but to what will pay them the best commission.. look at VANGUARD.. There are others out there that are "No load" that don't charge sales commission, and pay VERY good returns..

And beware of "Back-load" funds.. they look good as they invest every penny now, but they take their commission out on the money when you take it out.

If you do a little research you can best invest your own money into a no-load fund, and talk directly to the company rep about what you are trying to do. No salesman, no middle men

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
itsbob said:
Just remeber "Financial Advisers" are salesman, and may not point you to the best investment for your mom, but to what will pay them the best commission.. look at VANGUARD.. There are others out there that are "No load" that don't charge sales commission, and pay VERY good returns..

And beware of "Back-load" funds.. they look good as they invest every penny now, but they take their commission out on the money when you take it out.

If you do a little research you can best invest your own money into a no-load fund, and talk directly to the company rep about what you are trying to do. No salesman, no middle men

This is pretty good advice, at her age the majority of the investments should be conservative so there is no real need to pay for advice. All the info. you need is out there for free, it is not as though you are looking for the next hot IPO or anything. I say just stay mostly conservative with the majority of the money and invest a small percentage in a low fee, no load growth mutual fund. 80-90% of it you probably will want to keep in low risk bonds or some kind of cash account.