My Own Sermon...

Jimmyrich

My Own Sermon....

Well, I can see that this Religion forum has degraded into a PmoneyandTT Christian-Post-Fest...it's like I'm being evangelized to, and Robert Tilton and Benny Hin are nowhere in SITE!!! Where DO I send my money???
These aren't even discussions suggested; they are like mini-sermons that all basically could be summed up in one post alone:

"I belive in God and Jesus, and it's good so you should too."

I think that the idea behind PostFest '01 is pure; TT seems to be trying to help people with certain common problems; lonliness, love, marriage, daily living;  But the problem is, there's no room for discussion, there's only long, one-sided, sermonizing.  I'm not coming down on TT for the intent, but it just struck me as odd that all of the sudden, there would be about 10+ posts, all in a row, in FOUR different threads that are all basically one person on their soapbox (or pulpit) without any sort of rhyme or reason....did this seem weird to anyone else?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My Own Sermon....

Well, Jimmy, as the liberals say about profane, violent and sexually provocative entertainment:

If you don't like it, don't read it!

Jimmyrich

My Own Sermon....

Well, I DID read it and I DON'T like it so I'm saying something about it.

I am merely questioning the nature of TT's posts.  They don't seem to be in keeping with the intended use of this forum.  I'm asking where the justification for using this forum as a pulpit comes from.  I mainly see people brining up issues for discussion and the like and, yet, TT posts about 10 different (yet similar) posts on how all problems are solved through acceptance of God. But not in a "what about this idea?" sort of way. Just a "hey, I'm not going door to door today so here's some Christianity for ya!" kinda way.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My Own Sermon....

What exactly about Christianity threatens you so much?  I've asked several times but you've never answered.  How is TT hurting you by posting her missives?  What civil right of yours does it take away?

Just curious...

SxyPrincess

My Own Sermon....

Jimmy,

I can understand your point and I will have to agree with you.  

I am a non-practicing Catholic and if I wanted to read the bible, I would go to Church, not these forums.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My Own Sermon....

Does that mean that when you go to a bookstore you're offended by the religious books on the shelves?  After all, if you wanted to see a Bible, you'd go to church.  Right?

TT's probably cast some white magic on you that forces you to read her posts - takes over your mouse finger until you have no control over it so she can spew her beliefs to the unsuspecting population.  That's some power right there - you better not mess with her.

I have an idea - let's ban religious writings!  That'll teach people to exercise their freedom of speech...

SxyPrincess

My Own Sermon....

No Vrai and that is because I don't go into bookstores.  If I did, I wouldn't go past the "religious freak" section!  I would head straight for the playgirl mags!!!!

Jimmyrich

My Own Sermon....

I don't think it's really a matter of my being "offended" or "scared" by Christian beliefs. Or even a repulsion to bearing witness to them. I realize I'm in an online forum that has all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds and I'm gonna come across people with which I don't agree (see: Hessian).  HOwever, my problem with TT's posts is not that they are CHRISTIAN, it's that TT seems to be using this as a forum to evangelize to others. I just dont' think that's apporopriate. This is a place for discussion, not conversion. I wasn't OFFENDED by it; I dont' care if TT's a Christian or not. And as an "agnostic" not an Athiest, John, but thanks for playing, I don't pretend to know the truth. Therefore, I don't start threads that are like "Hey, got any problems in your life? Well, don't turn to God! He doesn't exist! Sure, you may get a warm fuzzy feeling, but that's because you are weak and it helps you to believe!"  Because that's along the same lines as TT's posts suggesting the Christian God as the answer to all problems.  And I just don't think this is the place for preaching one's own personal agenda.

John

My Own Sermon....

Small world Jimmy.

I fall into the catagory of agnostics as well. The difference I think is that I don't find it nessasary to run down someone elses faith when I don't share it.

That's something I've witnessed countless times among the Athiests.
They seem to feel we shouldn't have "Freedom of Religion" but instead "Freedom from Religion".

But if you're really an agnostic I'll have to take your word!  

;)

Jimmyrich

My Own Sermon....

Nah, I'm not trying to run down Christianity. I'm just saying that I don't think this is the right venue for evangelizing. I just thought it was odd that all of the sudden there are these multi-post sermons on here and they really weren't discussion oriented. They seemed to be pushing a personal objective. I'm not for Freedom From Religion at all. It's not for me, but it's great for some. I'm dating a girl who is a christian (strong in her faith but NOT a fundamentalist). And I dont' give her guff for it.  But she also doesn't sermonize to me etc. If it's really a live and let live attitude that I should be adopting, then I'd say that TT doesn't need to be preaching on these sites. And I'm not even saying that he shouldn't be ALLOWED to do so...I'm just kinda confused as to why he thought to do it in the first place.

SxyPrincess

My Own Sermon....

Did you know the Bible says abortion is ok.  How does everyone feel about that???  

I know...I'm getting off the subject!!!

Christy

b*tch rocket
My Own Sermon....

Jimmy,  This is the religion forum.  It's about as proper place to post a sermon as you can get!  

Someone may find it inspirational or helpful to their lives.  There are a lot of people out there searching.  She's not trying to hurt anyone.  

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My Own Sermon....

Jimmy, for Pete's sake!  TT obviously put up her post because she wanted to share her thoughts.  Why does anyone put up any post?  Now you're just trying to back-pedal because you know you're being silly. :duh:

Now not only is TT controlling our mouse and Hessian gets to decide who goes to heaven, but Jimmy gets to decide who posts what in these forums.  Sheesh!

And, Princess, I'll bite:  where does it say that?

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
So, TT posted post after post....about Christianity in relation to other things....

something new....

No, she may not have intended to use it for discussion purposes....

However, not all threads in the forums here are for discussion purposes....  I don't see why this is any different...

TT wants to share her message.... no harm done!!

Change is welcomed in this <i>church</i>. :cheesy:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Jimmy,  This is the religion forum.  It's about as proper place to post a sermon as you can get!  

Someone may find it inspirational or helpful to their lives.  There are a lot of people out there searching.  She's not trying to hurt anyone.  

SxyPrincess

Vrai,

Here is MY interpretation of an abortion from the Bible!

Exodus 21:22
"When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine."

In this instance a woman has been  injured, in a fight between two men, that she has aborted. The law states that if "no harm follows" the outsider must pay the husband a fine. An abortion has been induced through violence and this is not considered harmful. Abortion, then, is not a capital offense or a violation of the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill."

Hosea 9:14.
"Give them, O Lord: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb (an abortion) and dry breasts."
And later,
"...yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." Hosea 9:16

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You're certainly free to interpret the Bible anyway that fits your argument.  But I'll suggest to you that most Americans can read those passages at face value and come up with a different meaning, no interpreter needed considering it's plain English.

In our vernacular, abortion and miscarriage are two different things.  Abortion is induced; miscarriage is spontaneous.  After 28 (?) weeks it's considered stillborn.  But if you want to call a miscarriage an abortion to fit with your Biblical interpretations, it's okay with me.