Abstinence

Tim Mcneil

Anyone read the article today about abstinence in the Washington Post. Quite informative and only proves that the best way to stop teenage pregnancy is to give out condoms. Do you guys remember being kids? Did you ever pay attention to someone saying to stay out of the bed before marriage? I sure as hell didn't and neither did my friends. I always think that if sex education was preached back in the day, my friend Jack wouldn't have gotten his girlfriend pregnant junior year.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tim Mcneil
proves that the best way to stop teenage pregnancy is to give out condoms.
That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life. Maybe in some friggin' slum where the parents are too cracked out to pay attention to what they're kids are doing - but you better not even try that crap in REAL America.

When I was in high school they didn't give us condoms and most of us managed to not get pregnant just fine. When I DID get pregnant (the year after graduation) I was on the pill - what makes people think condoms are going to be so effective?

Sex education and handing out condoms are two different things, Tim.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19148-2003Jan20.html

LUBBOCK, Tex. -- The day's guest instructor had spiked blond hair, tight black jeans and a propensity for street slang.

"You have been lied to, lied to by the media, lied to by celebrities," Ed Ainsworth told the 120 squirming eighth-graders at Smylie Wilson Junior High School. "Will this condom protect your heart?" he asked, flashing a glossy Trojan ad on a giant screen. "Will this condom protect your reputation? Go ahead and use a condom. You'll still be known as a slut."

Couldn't have said it better myself, kiddo!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Joseph McIlhaney, founder of the Medical Institute for Sexual Health, said it is too early to evaluate the effectiveness of abstinence-only programs, but he has seen instances in which teen sexual activity declined after an aggressive education effort on condom failure rates and the dangers of sexually transmitted diseases.

Tim, I read the article and I fail to see where it says that condom distribution is the best way to go. Please point this out to me.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Anyone read the article today about abstinence in the Washington Post. Quite informative and only proves that the best way to stop teenage pregnancy is to give out condoms. Do you guys remember being kids? Did you ever pay attention to someone saying to stay out of the bed before marriage? I sure as hell didn't and neither did my friends. I always think that if sex education was preached back in the day, my friend Jack wouldn't have gotten his girlfriend pregnant junior year.

Oh puh lease Tim!!!!! You can't get adults to use condoms dingleberry! What makes you think a kid will use them?

The answer to the problem is FEAR baby! FEAR! :lmao: My kids are gonna see what STD's will do to ya! Nothing like a bit of narly venereal warts to do the trick! :lmao: I plan on having my kids convinced that if you have sex you'll die or even worse have some major "junk" hanging from your goods if you don't have your boyfriend/girlfriend tested ten minutes before the "deed" is done!

willie

Anyone read the article today about abstinence in the Washington Post. Quite informative and only proves that the best way to stop teenage pregnancy is to give out condoms.

WOW! I didn't take that article like that at all....not close. The bottom line is Family values. As long as we have the type of movies, TV shows and are pushing the First Amendment to the limit where I don't think it was intended, it will be tough to maintain good family values.

Tim Mcneil

The teen pregnancy rate in Texas has declined much slower than the national average and is still much higher than the national average. It is something like 40 per 1,000 pregnancies in Texas and 30 across the nation. STD rates have steadily increased in Texas as well while the national rate decreases. Abstinence has not worked in Texas, even students are trying to reinstitute sex education.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I think some people are touching on it, but, by far, the best preventative to STD's and pregnancy are education. This is where it's lacking the worst. Most of today's teens (in part, thanks to Slick Willie), still think that it's SAFE to have oral sex
And that's just for starters...

K

Kain99

I just Love those parents out there who say "You can't stop your kids from drinking, having sex etc."

This statement only holds true if you have your fat arse sitting on the couch, so self involved that you don't have time for your children.

Kids are hard non-stop work! They will push every limit you set - The secret is, you have to push back a thousand times harder.

Condoms do not stop STD's and they do not always stop pregnancy. Mom's and Dad's who mean serious business do. :wink:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Kain99
I just Love those parents out there who say "You can't stop your kids from drinking, having sex etc."

This statement only holds true if you have your fat arse sitting on the couch, so self involved that you don't have time for your children.

Kids are hard non-stop work! They will push every limit you set - The secret is, you have to push back a thousand times harder.

Condoms do not stop STD's and they do not always stop pregnancy. Mom's and Dad's who mean serious business do. :wink:

...and those same parents won't get off the couch until it's time to sue the people who handed out the condoms for not being 100% reliable.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by SmallTown
abstinence is highly overrated

Back in the 50's...Ann Landers had a common response that all you need to stop pregnancy is an aspirin..."held firmly between your knees at all times."
Well, not only is that flawed logic, but there are at least a couple of ways that one could impregnate a women while she's precisely in that position, and have fun doing it!

Christy

b*tch rocket

Well Kain, you really can't stop you're kids from doing all that stupid BS, however, being the A-hole parent at least keeps your kids at bay somewhat.

I fully plan on being a Nazi in my household when my kids turn teenagers! My kids are going to do stupid crap but at least they will have consequences for it. I'll never be arrogant enough to think my kids aren't going to dabble in drinking and S-E-X :yikes: I simply won't condone it.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
It's so much better to raise boys than girls...

With boys, you only have ONE penis to worry about...

K

Kain99

You use Nazi so lightly :biggrin: When my kids "dabble" - I'm ready for all out World War 3

Christy

b*tch rocket
You use Nazi so lightly :biggrin: When my kids "dabble" - I'm ready for all out World War 3

Hey! I'm already getting experience with my friends older kids! I've already asked my niece when she's gonna stop using her body as some man's toilet! (you think that was too harsh? :blushing: )

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Christy
Hey! I'm already getting experience with my friends older kids! I've already asked my niece when she's gonna stop using her body as some man's toilet! (you think that was too harsh? :blushing: )

Wow, I see a great pickup line brewing here...

"Hey...you wanna let me use your body as my toilet?"

or...

"How would you like to be a receptacle for my..."
aahhh...never mind...

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Christy

I Love it! Sometime ya just gotta paint that picture! :bubble: