relocating to Waldorf

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Hi All:

This is a great forum!! I am sure I can get some much needed help here. This is my story. Me, my husband and our two girls ages 10 and 3 are moving to Waldorf from NC!! My husband is a federal police officer and works 2nd shift. I will be working for the US DOJ. Unfortunately, even though I expressed flexibility during my interview, my new bosses insist that I work 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. I understand from asking around and checking bus schedules, this means I won't get back into Waldorf in the evenings until 6:30 pm which is a problem daycare wise!! The youngest will go to a center. Anyone know of one that will give you til 6:45 pm?? The oldest will need after school care until the same time or someone to drop her at the house at 6:00 pm. Any suggestions from ANYONE will ease this mother's mind!!!

My oldest will attend Barnhart elementary. Also any info on summer programs will be helpful.

Thanks so much: :bubble:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Is this your only potential employer? Maybe you could throw your resume out there a little more to somewhere that will start work earlier. I know some who start work at 9am, but it's nice to have the option to go in earlier and leaver earlier - and it sounds like they're not open to that idea.

SeaRide

US DOJ ?? I remember DOJ starting the flexi schedule long long time ago. I am pretty sure that DOJ does have the flexi hours thing unless that specific new bosses of yours does not practice flexi hours in the office. Maybe after working at the new job for a while, you might want to "transfer" to another office in DOJ that does have flexi hours. I am trying to remember which friend of mine works at US DOJ in Wash DC.

SxyPrincess

My (almost 6 yr-old) daughter attends daycare in Waldorf. Her center is open until 6:30 pm, and I believe that is the latest one from what I've checked. I commute from NE, DC and I pick her up anywhere from 6:00-6:30, depending on traffic.

The prices are reasonable, and they are also all-inclusive. They go on various field trips throughout the year and have daily activities, story time, outdoor play...etc.

If you are interested I can give you more information, as well as more information on other centers in the area. You also might want to check the classifieds on this site for childcare.

Good luck! :cheers:

F

Flo

I work for Agriculture, and my flex hours are 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., though I usually try to get in at 6:30 a.m. I catch the 5:35 or 5:45 a.m. bus from the Mattawoman -Beantown Park and Ride. Traffic after 7 a.m. is too much of a headache! I like to get in and unwind. This morning though was a bummer....waited for 35 minutes in the cold...two buses were packed from Charlotte Hall, and one broke down!! :mad: (where is a freezing smilie?!?!)

Not that I get home early though, as I usually don't leave until 5 p.m. :bawl:

Will probably see you on the evening bus. I usually catch the 5:25 p.m. bus from 19th & K.

F

Flo

Another goodie with Agriculture, we get credit leave. They ususally don't like us working more than an hour extra each day, but hey, they want the phones answered! Credit Leave comes in handy also!!
:smile:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Flo

Will probably see you on the evening bus. I usually catch the 5:25 p.m. bus from 19th & K.

I must just miss you Flo. On Tuesdays I catch the 4:37 bus. It's the 902 run to Prince Frederick/St. Leonard. I'll have to hang out one night and we can freeze together.:biggrin:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Sxy

Only on Tuesdays...and I must have a certain look on my face (imagine that.:biggrin:) -- no spillage of late!!

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Thanks so much for all the responses. I sent several resumes and applications out and this was the only interview I got so far. It seemed so nice back in Nov. 2002 and I felt lucking to get the job since it was the first interview I went on!! And I have heard from several people including a girl in personnel that they do have flex time, but it is also based on your boss or bosses in which case I will have three! And evidently, they (all men) have wives that stay at home or work hours that don't require them to pick children up!

We will be renting for one year -- and looking to buy!!!!

My husband says just get your foot in the door and then we will look for something else! I am keeping my eyes and ears open. If anyone knows a firm or agency that needs a good paralegal, let me know!!!

I am interested in the daycare one of the responders talked about. Please send the info!!!

Can't wait to meet you FLO! Is the bus ride really 1 hour or do they get back quicker???

I also thought about finding someone to pick the girls up from daycare and afterschool care at the school at 6:00 and watching them til 6:30. Anyone know a reliable teenager or college student looking for a few extra bucks a week???

THANKS AGAIN -- KEEP RESPONDING:biggrin:

F

Flo

:howdy: Cat,

The manager of the mailroom takes the Prince Frederick bus, or at least he use to.

I have probably seen you out there. Sometimes I try to leave a little early....so maybe we will meet up, :smile: though hope it warms up soon! This cold weather, and waiting for commuter is no fun!!

:cheers:

SxyPrincess

Carolinagirl,

Currently, my firm is hiring for a temporary (3-4 month) full-time position. We may be hiring a permanent full-time atty/paralegal sometime following. Just some FYI for ya.
:bubble:

F

Flo

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Yea, well I get to drive my own vehicle without anyone spilling over me. :biggrin:

:razz2: Hee, Hee....and that is why I usually sit in the very last seat . Once in a while it gets crowded, and it is a threesome :burning: but most of the time I am by myself!! :cheers:

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Carolinagirl,

Currently, my firm is hiring for a temporary (3-4 month) full-time position. We may be hiring a permanent full-time atty/paralegal sometime following. Just some FYI for ya.
:bubble:

Sounds promising -- What firm are you with??

F

Flo

Originally posted by carolinagirl
Can't wait to meet you FLO! Is the bus ride really 1 hour or do they get back quicker???

Carolina,

The ride in the morning is usually an hour and 15 minutes for me, but of course I go further than you. (If you wait till later, it may be an hour and a half!) The evening ride is 2 to 3 hours for me!! Depends on the traffic, weather, and like today, demonstrations and street closures! :frown:

F

Flo

Carolina, I live in Charlotte Hall. Just thought I should clarify that, and the reason it takes me so long to get home. My husband drives me to the park n' ride in Waldorf in the mornings, as he drives to Upper Marlboro, and picks me up in the evenings at Charlotte Hall. On the average, living in Waldorf, you would be looking at probably an hour and a half in the evenings.

K

Kizzy

carolinagirl,

My son's daycare is Children's Center for Discovery which is very close for you and they have a school bus that picks up for Barnhart elementary. They are NOT published in the phone book so PM me if you want that information. They are open from 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and you may want to ask if they will extend that. My son is also 3 and his cousin, 3 years old girl, both attend there and love it. The fee is $135 a week. Now, I know a lady in Indian Head that will keep your child that long, but I went from Waldorf to Indian Head to D.C. for over a year and that really stinks, but if you want her information, I can provide that for you . You can check with your employer and see if you could adjust your hours. They may say yes. My hubby is also a police officer and I understand the hardship this does create. If you need any help with anything send me a PM and I will send you my phone number.

Also, to save you some time with the commute to D.C., you may want to consider the Park & Ride at the end of 210. It gets you in and out of the city at a bus fare, without parking hassles and in your car sooner.

Kim

Last edited by a moderator: