Usaa

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Was just updating my info with them, and mentioned that I'd forgotten to deposit a dividend check they sent that I found when I moved but it was outdated. They're able to pull up your member history, see which ones you did not cash/deposit, and reissue them to you. I didn't expect they'd be able to do it, but they were more than happy, and I should have the check in about a week. :yay: :yay:

crabcake

Nickel said:
We ended up getting our homeowner's insurance with them. :yay:
I've had all my insurance stuff covered with them for years, and while they've pizzed me off a time or two, I'm happy for the most part. Definately have the best rates for auto insurance that I've come across (even against Geico). :yay:

And it's nice getting that nice dividend check each year. :smile:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
I've had all my insurance stuff covered with them for years, and while they've pizzed me off a time or two, I'm happy for the most part. Definately have the best rates for auto insurance that I've come across (even against Geico). :yay:

We have our auto insurance with AIG right now, and Dustin had Geico before we got married. They (Geico) wanted to charge us out the ass for auto insurance, so he just jumped onto my policy. I think we're going to go with someone else in January though.

crabcake

Nickel said:
We have our auto insurance with AIG right now, and Dustin had Geico before we got married. They (Geico) wanted to charge us out the ass for auto insurance, so he just jumped onto my policy. I think we're going to go with someone else in January though.
:yay: I hear ya. I believe the more policies you carry with USAA, the bigger your dividend check each year. :wink: And with him being active duty, the check will get bigger each year as your membership continues, even after retirement. :really:

hwyman3

I've had USAA for years and have been very happy with them. I even had a friend who was a State Farm agent once tell me he could save me a ton of money. he asked who I was insured with. When I replied USAA, he said never mind!

PJay

hwyman3 said:
I've had USAA for years and have been very happy with them. I even had a friend who was a State Farm agent once tell me he could save me a ton of money. he asked who I was insured with. When I replied USAA, he said never mind!

Haha...true that. I love it when an agent calls trying to get you to go with them
then ask who your provider is...they hang up fast.

MMDad

Lem Putt
crabcake said:

They wouldn't do life insurance for my wife because of melanoma five years ago.

Car insurance didn't work because of one ticket and the one time she was rear ended. Geico ended up being the better deal.

Other than that it's okay.

crabcake

Homesick said:
All you are sharing, Crabcake is true!

Just got me a check recently :yahoo:
Yea, I got mine last week. :yay:

And FYI -- while you might think they know you served on active duty (which ya have to be to be a member unless you're a dependent), call eligibility and make SURE they know you are/were active duty. It makes a difference in your dividend checks. :really:

I just learned this today. My situation: ex-h and I were enlisted and married in '94 (before enlisted folks could join), but he was a member b/c his step dad was an AF colonel. So, we got married, I joined on his policy, then in '96, they opened it up to enlisted folks. Yet, they said my acount was only a dependent account. Well, if you were on active duty when you were/are a member, they invest a certain amount of money in an account, and your divident checks are a percentage of that, and that account rolls over each year, therefore, your checks get bigger each year. If you're only a dependent member (i.e., child, ex-spouse, etc.), you still get a dividend check, but the account doesn't roll over each year. You won't get all the money in that account, only a percentage, but make sure your info is current WITH ELIGIBILITY so you're getting your rightful share as a member. :yay:

As for the rest of that account money, it's some sort of "oh shiat" account USAA sets up to cover costs in the event they have an extraordinary amount of claims or suffer a loss or something. :ohwell:

crabcake

MMDad said:
They wouldn't do life insurance for my wife because of melanoma five years ago.

Car insurance didn't work because of one ticket and the one time she was rear ended. Geico ended up being the better deal.

Other than that it's okay.
Well, they are an insurance company. :ohwell: Risk is part of their business, and drives up rates, unfortunately.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
MMDad said:
If I remember correctly, they gave us a pretty good quote on car insurance. I was in two accidents in a 3 week period almost 3 years ago and Geico wanted to charge us a ton of money (one of them wasn't my fault, I was rear ended, and the second was weather related) for that. I have no tickets on my record, and D has one. The thing that kills me is a lot of insurance companies are penalizing us because his motorcycle was stolen. :rolleyes:

dustin

UAIOE
Nickel said:
If I remember correctly, they gave us a pretty good quote on car insurance. I was in two accidents in a 3 week period almost 3 years ago and Geico wanted to charge us a ton of money (one of them wasn't my fault, I was rear ended, and the second was weather related) for that. I have no tickets on my record, and D has one. The thing that kills me is a lot of insurance companies are penalizing us because his motorcycle was stolen. :rolleyes:
yeah i dont get why I should be penalized because my bike was stolen. what a bunch of crap. :boo:

Where does the money from a dividend check come from? I dont get it :confused:

How much should I expect to get back on a dividend check? And does anyone claim that as income on their taxes?

MMDad

Lem Putt
dustin said:
yeah i dont get why I should be penalized because my bike was stolen. what a bunch of crap. :boo:

How much should I expect to get back on a dividend check? And does anyone claim that as income on their taxes?

I agree. I understand if you left your bike unlocked in a bad place, or you were at fault in an accident, but if you are a victim why should you be penalized? Actually, I know the answer. It's so you won't make a claim.

The dividend check is if you are a shareholder. I used to get a check from State Farm. The members pay into the big pot. After they pay claims and expenses, the remainder is refunded to the shareholders. Kind of like how we used to get money back from SMECO.

USAA worked the same way, but I'm not sure how it works now.

I am not an accountant, but I think it is a refund of fees you have already paid taxes on, so it is not taxable.

hwyman3

dustin said:

USAA operates as a member owned insurance company and is non-profit. When they take in more in premiums than they pay out in claims (which is almost evey year), they must refund the difference to the "owners" being those who hold policies. I got mine last week :yay:

Pete

Repete
Hmmmmm, I have USAA and I don't get a dividend check, I get a SSA (subscriber savings account) deposit notice. I have a few hundred in there but they never send me a check. State farm used to. :confused:

dustin

UAIOE
So does it depend on what Zip code you have your insurance for in order to decide the amount which you will receive?

dustin

UAIOE
MMDad said:
I agree. I understand if you left your bike unlocked in a bad place, or you were at fault in an accident, but if you are a victim why should you be penalized? Actually, I know the answer. It's so you won't make a claim.

It's too bad I can't seek "restitution of future costs" from the bad guys that stole my bike. Right now I'm only asking for 500 for the deductible... (I have to have receipts, etc.) court date is on Jan 24th.

hwyman3

dustin said:
So does it depend on what Zip code you have your insurance for in order to decide the amount which you will receive?

I think it depends on your total premium, those that pay more in premiums get more back.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I've gotten a lot of checks from USAA this past year. :lol: Actually with all the flood damage, a lady from USAA came out the next day and I had an emergency check asap. Then I received an advance check in the mail and a final check later. Then they still called me to follow up and see if I needed any additional money for replacement costs. Great folks. And I received my dividend check too. :biggrin: