Anyone interested in discussing other religions besides Christianity?

Hi all,

I'm kinda new here but I'm looking for folks involved in other religions (Native American, Buddhism, "New Age", Pagan, etc.). If you're out there, please get in touch, or reply here. :guitar:

Lynn
----------------------------
http://www.webkooks.com

BudoPo

I'd Love to

Welcome to the forums.

I'm Jewish, studied some Buddhism (which really isn't a religion in the Western sense), and know a little about Wicca. The only Native American stuff I know is related to healing work. What shall we discuss first?

shammy

Hello all, I am a former Catholic myself. I am a reiki practitioner and have always found my roots in nature religions such as wicca. I really enjoy a lot of Buddhist philosophy as well. Glad to see this post on here as it gives me hope there are other open-minded individuals out there for me to chat with. It seems I'm surrounded by family and friends that don't exactly understand some of my beliefs and practices so it's always nice to have support from those that do.

Hello BudoPo and Shammy!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been offline the past few days (sometimes the brain just needs a break, LOL!).

A little background on me - was raised Catholic, did the whole "born-again" thing (no offense to anyone, that's just how I phrase my own experience - nothing personal). Found that neither really had any impact on me, and practices Wicca for about 4 years. That ended about 3 years ago. Now I pick what applies to me and leave the rest, basically. I'm what I call a "spiritual mutt". ;)

I guess my current label (if I needed to have one) would be "Lightworker", at least it's what seems to fit.

Not sure how to get started. Maybe we could start by discussing what spiritual viewpoint has had the biggest impact on our lives? Something like that?

Let me know what you think!
Lynn :)

shammy

Nice to meet you too Lynn :)
I have been officially "out of the broom closet" for about a year and I just recently told my parents I no longer consider myself a catholic. I'm not an initiated Wiccan as of yet. I consider myself a lightworker also. Have you ever practiced/experienced reiki? My involvement in that had probably the most to do with me finally making the decision to get involved in the things I've always wanted to partake in.
How about you BudoPo?

BudoPo

I'm a Reiki master. December will be 10 years that I've been practising it. It's a pretty good way to get into healing techniques. I also do another technique called Aboukra (not very well known), and every once in a while I'll do some Shamanic work. You're right; this work does tend to make you more spiritual. Just be careful that you don't go off the deep end with it. Luckily, I was in engineering school at the time, and I think that helped me stay grounded while I was first exploring all this.

There's a Reiki circle in St. Mary's City. They're a pretty nice group, but I haven't been there in probably a year or so. The only problem is they won't let me practise, since their technique is a little different than mine. Perhaps we can start one.

Like I said, I'm Jewish, and pretty happy with that. I've also studied Buddhism (Tendai Mikkyo, to be precise). I find it very interesting, but I never got into a daily practise of it or anything like that. I'm not sure why. I learned a bit about Wicca from a friend of mine, but just know the basics.

shammy

I know you!

Hello there... I was reading your post BudoPo and was thinking hey a guy I work with does Aboukra... then I read the Jewish part and realized you are the guy I work with. Roger... meet Shannon :) Haha, small world huh? We've been chatting on here not realizing who we are!!!
I have never been to the St. Mary's City group. I know you said before they seem strict on their practices. I strongly believe you can't put limitations on something like reiki. You need to just do what you feel is right and listen to your guides in order to do the best you can to heal someone. That's why I've never ventured over to that circle of practitioners. I recently got my own table and have a few potential clients so that is good. I am a reiki II and will probably get my master within a couple years.

BudoPo

Curses!!! You've discovered my alter ego!! Shannon, where are you now? The HA? Stop by my cell, er, cube some time.

The St. Mary's City Reiki circle is a nice group of people, don't get me wrong. They're not the typical super-flaky types I've seen at most other healing circles. It's just that they want to make sure everyone gets the same thing. I can see their point, but I don't really agree with it.

"I strongly believe you can't put limitations on something like reiki. You need to just do what you feel is right and listen to your guides in order to do the best you can to heal someone."
Yep, exactly. This is a huge point. It took me quite a while to learn to listen (no doubt being an engineer (ie analytical type) hindered that). Now I'm pretty good at it. Good luck with your practise.

Lynn, to answer your question about what had the biggest influence on my spirituality, I'd say I had two events. One was my martial arts training, which got me into healing techniques and Buddhism. I find both very interesting (although there are many fraudulant "healers" out there, so you have to be careful). Buddhism I find really interesting, and right now I'm reading a couple of books on the relationship between it and quantum physics (I want to brush up on both subjects).

The other even was my move to Southern MD from New York City. That really made me look at my Jewish heritage, since (1) Jews are in such a minority here, (2) the population here is pretty religious and I get questions about my religion, and (3) the population here is much more homogeneous than NYC, so differences stand out more (in NYC, people are just used to having a very diverse population).

OK, who's story is next?

shammy

I'm pretty slick hey Rober??? Haha, found you out! That is too funny.
I am not on the base anymore as of this week. I was in the HA but I have been looking for a job with my sister's company and I should be transitioning to there anytime now. I'm literally just waiting for that all-important phone call. I really hope I get it very soon. In the meantime I'm up at my other office.

Lynn... where are you???

S

Shanobi

Born again Pagan

I tend to shy away from people claiming Wicca as their new way of life. It seems like they've had a spiritual reunion with the all powerful notion of common sense. That's it. Relying on the forces of nature rather than the faith that they hope will save them. Does this make any sense? It's like People are swept away ( pun intended) with the simplicity of the whole concept of life. Now that's as far as I'm getting into all of this today because I know we can all rant all day about our theory of religiosity....Toodles

BudoPo

I tend to agree. I never really liked the idea that there's only one way that's right, and thus everything else is wrong. The whole "I *know* my beliefs are right, and if you don't share them, then you're obviously wrong" idea doesn't sit well with me (and of course, "if you don't believe in my faith, then you'll burn in hell for all eternity" :) )

shammy

You two are very right, I don't like for someone to tell me I am going to burn in hell because I no longer practice the Catholic religion. I think that's a crock in any faith. If I was born and raised a Buddhist for instance and I am a good person who lives a good life it's absurd to say that I would die and go to hell for not being Catholic when I never was even exposed to that lifestyle. Can anyone help how they are raised or what beliefs are instilled in them their whole lives? I think everyone should always question their beliefs and seek to learn more before they settle for anything. That's why I haven't initiated into anything else because I like a lot of different aspects of different religions and I agree that a specific title means nothing. You should just be able to believe what you want without having to give it a name. I don't think there is any one religion that I would agree with 100%. Everybody thinks that their way is the right way and maybe that works for them but I like to keep learning new things and experiencing as much as I can without just believing what I am told is right.

BudoPo

Sounds like a plan. I remember once I got a knock on my door with people spreading the word (well, it's happened a number of times, but this time I was in the middle of packing to head to NYC for Passover, and as I was talking with them, my head was next to the mezzuzah on my doorpost). I asked them your question about what happens if someone leads a good life but is not Christian, or all the people who lived before Jesus. The reasoning in their answer (which I've kind of forgotten already) left me baffled.

In fairness, I posted that question on this bb, and got a link to a website, but I have to admit I've only just skimmed the site so far. In any event, if some feels that way about having to be saved, that's fine with me. Just please stop knocking on my door. I can see, in their mind, they're doing something good in trying to save me, but I just find it annoying.

One thing I don't really think highly of is the type who won't even explore other ideas. It's ok with me if someone is really into their own philosophy/religion, but some people don't even want to learn the basics ideas of other religions. To me, it's being small minded, and going through life with blinders on. Or perhaps it's just because it's uncomfortable looking at things that challenge your own ideas. I know a few people like that, and while they're nice enough people, it just seems to me that they're not growing ("I'm comfortable where I am, so why change?").

shammy

I think the people knocking on your door are just a perfect example of the type that thinks theirs is the supreme religion and you should be following it as well. I get more than annoyed by someone knocking on my door or putting brochures on my windsheild saying I'm going to burn in hell and I must "save myself". Who are they to know who I am, what I believe, and how I live my life??? I think it's harrassment!
This area is filled to the brim with narrow minds and it gets very frustrating repeating yourself over and over to the people that just don't get it why you want to read between the lines on everything. I can't comprehend someone not wanting to learn as much as possible and grow as a person. I think it has a lot to do with you beliefs of life as well. I believe in reincarnation and past lives and I think that is a reason I am so intent on learning because I think that's what it's all about. But to someone that thinks this is it, they don't have that drive to explore other possibilities. All I can say is that I'm ecstatic to not be one of them and instead be able to experience new things and find more spirituality in each one. As long as you are spiritual who cares what you call your God or how you worship?

mancrazy

Help me out here...

Help me to see the light (so to speak :D ) What is "reiki"??

don't mean to be a dummy...

I've found that a good way to keep the religious guys from knocking on your door incessently is to answer it with a pentagram on your forehead and invite them in for the sacrifice. I've never had anyone come back since. :lmao:

shammy

Re: Help me out here...

Originally posted by mancrazy
Help me to see the light (so to speak :D ) What is "reiki"??

don't mean to be a dummy...

I've found that a good way to keep the religious guys from knocking on your door incessently is to answer it with a pentagram on your forehead and invite them in for the sacrifice. I've never had anyone come back since. :lmao:

Reiki is an alternative method of healing. It is an ancient technique derived from the teachings of Jesus and Buddha etc. I have been a practitioner for almost a year and it is a very relaxing experience. My dad is a total sceptic but he marvels at how hot my hands get when I treat him and he said it is extremely relaxing. If you've never tried it I suggest you give me a call and I'll hook you up with a free session so you can see what it's like :) www.reiki.org has a lot of info. The best way to understand it is to experience it!
As for the pentagram... I'll give you some info on that too. It isn't a satanic symbol(unless you invert it and use it for devil-worshipping). It is a symbol of protection that witches wear to remind them to honor nature and the balances of life. The five points of the star represent the five elements (earth, air, fire, water and spirit) and the circle represents the cycle of life (birth and rebirth). To clarify, most people who call themselves witches do not even believe in the devil so it is also a misconception to say that witchcraft is satanic.
Haha, that be the lesson o' the day!!!

mancrazy

Just be sure not to send out the Pentagram info to the guys knocking at my door. If they knew all that, they'd keep coming back! :cheesy:

thanks for the info. I'll check out the website...

shammy

HAHA!

That's hysterical! You're running away those poor people. To them it's like selling girl scout cookies but instead of buying yummy chocolatey goodness you get a pamphlet that says you're time is coming and you're going to burn in hell for all of eternity. Doesn't quite compare to Thin Mints does it?? :rolleyes:
Don't worry, the secret is safe with me!!! :p

BudoPo

Shammy,

Actually, Reiki is believed to have first been taught by the first Buddha. The only relation it has with Jesus is that some people feel that Reiki is what he used to heal people (Buddha did similar healings, but lived about 500 B.C.E.). It really doesn't have origins with Jesus, per se.

Even the inverted pentagram isn't really a evil symbol. It was first used by Anton Levay, who started the whole modern Satanist thing (the two points on top represented the horns of the devil). So, it really doesn't have any big historical background.

A Reiki master friend of mine and I once were thinking of sending Reiki to some Satanists on Long Island during their yearly Halloween ceremony (yeah, I know it's Pagan, but they used it anyway). We were curious about the effects of sending healing energy to a Satanist thing, but we decided not to risk any weird juju. :)

My folks were pretty skeptical, too. I first learned Reiki in December, so everyone was wearing heavy sweaters, and my hands were always cold, but they were impressed with the heat they felt.

Mancrazy, Reiki is pretty good. I use it for relaxation and general healing/ailments. For specific problems I usually do a combination of things. Reiki is really user-friendly, too.

mancrazy

"Mancrazy, Reiki is pretty good. I use it for relaxation and general healing/ailments. For specific problems I usually do a combination of things. "

So, what (if anything) could be done for, oh say Migraines ???

I'm not asking as some kind of weird test or anything. I really am curious. I have had migraines since 96, and have tried everything Any ideas???