Help in Finding Pediatrician

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Can anyone help me find a decent pediatrician? My wife and I have been through two, and our daughter isn't even a year old yet.

The first doctor didn't bother to tell us about Infant Tylenol after vaccinations. And when our daughter went though a bout of constipation, he told us to give her enemas until further notice. Not a word about tracking down the source of the constipation.

The second doctor is long on testing but short on diagnosis. During an early visit, our daughter had some nasal congestion and he said, "Oh, that's a cold." No questions about her symptoms, which surprised us because we were thinking she might have an allergy.

This guy's idea for treating the constipation was a mineral oil laxative. We did this for about three weeks, and then we found out that long-term laxative use can be harmful. More recently, our daughter got the same cold as the rest of the family, and has had a hard time sleeping because of her cough. The doctor keeps wanting us to bring her in every week, with no explanation, as if he only cares about his co-pays. Also, his office space is scary because it's always dirty.

We want a doctor who will answer our questions fully, who will ask us about our girl's symptoms, and who will not insist on endless testing and medicating just for the hell of it.

Someone suggested that we try a family practice physician instead of a pediatrician. We have another baby on the way. Are family physicians as qualified as pediatricians in treating babies?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Where are you at?

My daughter has been with Dr. Lindeman in Leonardtown since birth and he has been great. Nice clean office and never a wait. He has his own practice, not part of a medical group.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Thanks for the info, Rose. We live in St. Mary's and our current doctor practices in Leonardtown. We talked to Dr. Lindemann recently, but still haven't decided whether to switch. What has been your experience regarding his prescriptions? We don't like the idea of keeping our daughter on medicine continuously if she's not getting any benefit from it.

Christy

b*tch rocket
The best doctor I've ever taken my kids to is Dr. George Leon in Waldorf. The only drawback (other than the obvious distance) is that getting an appointment with him takes forever, and plan on making an entire day of it when you go in for an appointment. He doesn't rush people in and out of his office, so you always wind up waiting to be seen. The first time we saw him, he spent over an hour with my daughter.

I'm still looking for a good pediatrician in the local area to take the kids to for every day colds and flu bugs, but I'll always take my kids to Dr. Leon if I feel there is something more serious going on. He's always been dead on with diagnosing and treating my kids.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
He's never overmedicated. A lot of the time he'll give samples and say try this, if more is needed come back. When my daughter was sick this last time, I brought her in and then the next day she was sick with I think a touch of the flu and I called and talked to him. He just said the keep her hydrated and if she got worse to call him back. Nothing he could do about that at that point. She got better on her own the next day. No wasted trip.

Another fiend of mine transferred her 3 boys to him and she is happy with him and Yakky might so as well.

yakky doodle

Originally posted by RoseRed
Another fiend of mine transferred her 3 boys to him and she is happy with him and Yakky might so as well.

yep; he came highly recommended by the school. I'm sick of the Shah chic who doesn't even convey a diagnosis in clear English, and I feel that if I have to track down a 20-yr-old nurse to decipher it, she should get paid. I'm switching my daughter over to Dr. L!

Another one, though, who has a family practice and is wonderful (but doesn't accept my daughter's insurance yet) is Dr. Tom Wilkinson. He has his own office now in California or Wildewood, I think. He was my primary and left the Shah's as well. He's wonderful, nice, pleasant and on the younger side (late 30s) so you don't feel like you are going to get a 90-year-old treatment plan. :wink:

K

Kizzy

I'm over here in Waldorf and use Dr. Sait and Chabraa(sp?). They are great. They were my doctors when I was just a kid and now they are my sons doctors. And, they haven't aged a bit. They have actually been wonderful. I wouldn't trade this office for the world. They get me in right-a-way when I have a sick call and they do not over medicate.

K

Kain99

OMG Kim Dr. Sait and Chabra were my doctors too...... Man time flies I think I'm gonna cry. :bawl:

K

Kimmy

I am in the same boat as you Tonio. I use to take the kids to Dr. Dublin in Waldorf. But he is overseas right now. Dr. Dublin takes his time with you. Whenever we went there, there was a next to nothing waiting and the same for waiting for him. And he does not over book himself. Now he is not one of these doctors that are in there for 5 minutes and out. Our visit's normally would be anywhere from 30 mins. to an hour. He explained things to us in every little detail. (We had some health problems with the baby) So now I am at a point that I don't NO where to go. We normally just go to Dhillon but that has not gone very good. (I will keep that at that with him.) Everyone's advice will help me too. Thanks :biggrin:

mrs potts

Originally posted by IM4Change
I'm over here in Waldorf and use Dr. Sait and Chabraa(sp?). They are great. They were my doctors when I was just a kid and now they are my sons doctors. And, they haven't aged a bit. They have actually been wonderful. I wouldn't trade this office for the world. They get me in right-a-way when I have a sick call and they do not over medicate.

I also recomment Sait and Chabbra. They were my doctors when I was small. In fact, I found out a year after my daughter was born that I never consulted my hubby on the ped selection. Oopps...I just assumed he would agree. They are always able to get my daugter in and I think they are the best!

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Kimmy
We normally just go to Dhillon but that has not gone very good. (I will keep that at that with him.) Everyone's advice will help me too. Thanks :biggrin:

:burning: Dr. Dhillon! Don't even go there! I essentially had to beat up and hog tie the man in order for him to FINALLY test my daughter for lyme disease! Yep she had/has it and will probably have to deal with for the rest of her life, when he coulda nipped it in the bud from the get go! :burning:

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in & recommend Dr. Sheth. He has taken care of my youngest since birth and my oldest since she was 6. Nothing but great care from him! Just moved into a new, larger office on Three Notch Rd in California. Neet thing about his waiting room, they keep sick and well kids separated and in different areas!