Amazon Phishing Scam

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This was a pretty good one - check the screen shot of the email. Looks all official-like.

Unfortunately for them, I check links and headers in email like this and neither were kosher.

So beware, folks! The scammers want your credit card information!

Attachments

• amazonscam.gif
    amazonscam.gif
    86.9 KB · Views: 197

Fred Hoeck

Similar ones are coming looking like PayPal. Have been for quite awhile, 6 months or so. I answered one, gave phony data to show I was on to them. Even gave name as "I Am Not Stupid". They used phoney data and locked out my PayPal account. Used to be able to tell since one was service. other services. So beware. PayPal has been sending messages warning of these schemes since Summer.

Trick is to log-on with wrong password, if it takes it, it is false site.

willie

I got the identical one and one very similar (looked like the same author) from Pay Pal. I forwarded them to Amazon and Pay Pal saying they they were being very rude to a valued customer (me). I was hoping they would send me something free but it didn't work.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Whether its Amazon, PayPal, Ebay or any online merchant, your account will never be suspended for "erroneous information" or "failed verification attempts". Legitimate companies will simply wait until you login again, then notify you of any actions required. Verifying credit cards or shipping addresses are never required until you are in Checkout. Occasionally, you will be notified if the credit card you have on file has expired, but again, this will almost always occur after you have logged in to their website.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Steve said:
Whether its Amazon, PayPal, Ebay or any online merchant, your account will never be suspended for "erroneous information" or "failed verification attempts". Legitimate companies will simply wait until you login again, then notify you of any actions required. Verifying credit cards or shipping addresses are never required until you are in Checkout.
But the scammers count on not everybody knowing this. A certain percentage must fall for it, else the scammers would be out of business.

Occasionally, you will be notified if the credit card you have on file has expired, but again, this will almost always occur after you have logged in to their website.
Both Paypal and Ebay notified me via email when my credit card on file was getting ready to expire. They also post the same message on their website so you see it when you log in.

Steve

Enjoying life!
jazz lady said:
But the scammers count on not everybody knowing this. A certain percentage must fall for it, else the scammers would be out of business.
Of course. And they've been counting on suckers forever. Before the Internet, there were pyramid schemes via the mail, Get-Rich-Quick seminars, unbelievable land deals, etc. Some have even gotten rich and famous with their schtick, like Tony Robbins.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Amazon is real good about it though. Last year I got a call at like 9:30 at night from Amazon. They said that a bunch of stuff had been ordered on my account, but the shipping address had never been used by me so they were double-checking with me before they processed the transaction and sent it out.