Best Buy "Re-stocking" Fee

SamSpade

We had a fun time last night - this time, at Best Buy.

My wife's 35mm camera died a few years back - so I ponied up some big bucks to get her a new one this year (among other things) with the whole thing - zoom lens, etc. Anyway, turns out she learns her old camera is actually NOT BROKEN - so she decides she wants to return the camera. I dig around and find the receipt, and gleefully - NOT - stand in the very long line for returns. I watch patiently - NOT - as the three attendants do just about anything but actually wait on people.

I learn that - regardless of who returns the gift - they will charge a *RESTOCKING* fee for certain big ticket gifts - unless they are defective (in which case, it is implied, they will refund the full price).

WORSE - it's 15% of the item cost. This means to return a 350 dollar camera - they're gonna CHARGE me 50 bucks to put it back on the shelf!

What's ironic is, if I'd just gone out to the parking lot and dropped the thing on the pavement - there'd be no argument. "Defective" items are refunded without argument.

What's the deal with this crap? If I'd actually bought the *900* dollar camera I'd planned to buy, and it was being returned - I'd be paying 135 bucks "re-stocking" charge. This is ridiculous. Of course, it IS written in the fine print on the back of the receipt, but until they change this absurd policy, I don't intend on EVER returning to Best Buy.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
SamSpade said:

My wife's 35mm camera died a few years back - so I ponied up some big bucks to get her a new one this year (among other things) with the whole thing - zoom lens, etc. Anyway, turns out she learns her old camera is actually NOT BROKEN - so she decides she wants to return the camera. I dig around and find the receipt, and gleefully - NOT - stand in the very long line for returns. I watch patiently - NOT - as the three attendants do just about anything but actually wait on people.

I learn that - regardless of who returns the gift - they will charge a *RESTOCKING* fee for certain big ticket gifts - unless they are defective (in which case, it is implied, they will refund the full price).

WORSE - it's 15% of the item cost. This means to return a 350 dollar camera - they're gonna CHARGE me 50 bucks to put it back on the shelf!

What's ironic is, if I'd just gone out to the parking lot and dropped the thing on the pavement - there'd be no argument. "Defective" items are refunded without argument.

What's the deal with this crap? If I'd actually bought the *900* dollar camera I'd planned to buy, and it was being returned - I'd be paying 135 bucks "re-stocking" charge. This is ridiculous. Of course, it IS written in the fine print on the back of the receipt, but until they change this absurd policy, I don't intend on EVER returning to Best Buy.

best Buy = best buy somewhere else.
its always been in there fine print :elaine:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Most stores do this. Before they can put the item up for resale it has to be checked and inventoried. The store can either raise all their prices to cover the cost or just charge the folks that are incuring the cost.

mainman

Set Trippin
SamSpade said:

Did you actually return the item? Is it the same if you purchase online? :confused:

SamSpade

mainman said:
Did you actually return the item? Is it the same if you purchase online? :confused:
After arguing with the clerk - it turned out they did NOT do this for film cameras. She would have otherwise charged me when their own policy didn't require it, because she didn't look at the camera.

Still - I see no reason to purchase anything else at their store, knowing that a return is going to COST ME MONEY. That's a strong disincentive to buying from them.

Plus, I don't see the point in doing this for electronic items - at a store that SPECIALIZES IN ELECTRONICS. I don't for a minute buy the concept that returns - *especially* at Christmas - are anything but a cost of doing business. Small businesses get to write these costs off - but for some reason, big franchises are deciding to stick it to the consumer?

Further, they do this based on the item - which means, if it's a *gift*, you're getting screwed because of what was given to you - if they bought you a suede jacket - you get your money's worth. If they buy you a computer - screw you. I'm not buying it at all. The item is unused, with the original receipt and the unopened box. It's a completely ridiculous policy.

I also don't buy the cost idea, either. Most of these stores boast they won't be "undersold" and will match or beat any competitor's price - but I'm supposed to believe that they are recouping the cost of their sales by ramping up the costs of returns, after Christmas?

I guess I'll just do business with the places that DON'T charge these fees, especially ones that are based on the COST OF THE ITEM. I *might* understand a fee of 20 bucks - but 15% of the item cost? That means it costs a few hundred bucks to re-stock a computer?

SamSpade

workin hard said:
Target is doing the same thing for electronics...I heard it on the radio Monday.
I think people should complain. I can see no practical reason for this, except that electronics cost more, and it makes more money than charging a percentage of small-ticket items like hats, gloves and books.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
SamSpade said:
Small businesses get to write these costs off - but for some reason, big franchises are deciding to stick it to the consumer?

What makes you say that small businesses write off these costs? And, exactly how and where do they write them off?

I don't mean to be confrontational. But I do think your statement is inaccurate, and that small businesses are just better at servicing their customers.

SamSpade

Oz said:
What makes you say that small businesses write off these costs? And, exactly how and where do they write them off?

I don't mean to be confrontational. But I do think your statement is inaccurate, and that small businesses are just better at servicing their customers.
It may be - I was under the impression that business losses due to returns were a tax write-off - but I can't confirm that. I can't confirm it, so I'll just take it back.

I've been reading about this - different companies have had differing luck with "re-stocking" fees. Most of the folks online I've read from, including Best Buy employees have confirmed, this is strictly to prevent "loaners" - people who 'buy' something for short-term use, and return it for full price. Say, a student who buys a lap-top, uses it for a weekend and brings it back after they've written their term paper.

But this is famously done by people - with CLOTHES, and JEWELRY - and I hear of no such complaint. Of course, with those items, there's no concern about being "opened" - we all understand that any item off the shelf in the department store MAY have been tried on several times before WE bought it. But Best Buy has to consider marking down an item that has been opened and repackaged. (I say "consider" because that is ALSO the rationale behind the fee - that returned items that are not defective COST them money, because they must now re-sell them for reduced price and there's nothing wrong with them. However - in all the years I've shopped at Best Buy or Circuit City or any such store that has or had this policy - I've never seen a mark-down for a previously opened package. In fact, I've certainly seen stuff on the shelf that definitely looks as though someone has opened it, whether on the floor or as a return.)

I just think the concept is lame - my wife has told me she wants a different iPod accessory than the one she received - but if THAT's one of the items they covered - *I'm* getting socked with the cost, because they have to restock it.

I've learned there are a few stores - like Costco - that never have these fees.

Stirituprebel

Target has been doing this for a few years now. You have to be careful when buying electronics from them and make sure it is what you want. I got a camcorder from my wife two years ago for christmas. I did not want it and took it back to target where she bought it. They wanted to charge a restocking fee. After arguing with the clerk and the store manager, we called the nationwide customer service number, the regional office then called the store and finally they refunded our money at full price. So if this does happen to you, don't give up, follow the chain of command and with persistance you will prevail.

willie

I just discovered one very good reason they do it.

The item will probably go back for sale as an 'open box' item at a discounted price as it is not new anymore. They are losing money because of your mistake. Many items may have small parts removed (lens covers, earphones, batteries, etc.) that would be undetected by the re-stocker but a real piss off to the next purchaser. I just purchased a $660 electronic 'open box' item from Best Buy for $100 off. When I went to register it and update the programming (maps), I find out it is already registered and the manufacturer won't communicate with me without the proper password. Best Buy took it back with no problem and even if they charged its first purchaser a re-stocking fee, they lost money.

I believe it is Best Buy but on while Christmas shopping I did see on some stores contract the words 'restocking fee applies IF THE BOX HAS BEEN OPENED'.

It all sounds reasonable to me, shop wisely especially when it's electronics.

mainman

Set Trippin
willie said:
I just discovered one very good reason they do it.

The item will probably go back for sale as an 'open box' item at a discounted price as it is not new anymore. They are losing money because of your mistake. Many items may have small parts removed (lens covers, earphones, batteries, etc.) that would be undetected by the re-stocker but a real piss off to the next purchaser. I just purchased a $660 electronic 'open box' item from Best Buy for $100 off. When I went to register it and update the programming (maps), I find out it is already registered and the manufacturer won't communicate with me without the proper password. Best Buy took it back with no problem and even if they charged its first purchaser a re-stocking fee, they lost money.

I believe it is Best Buy but on while Christmas shopping I did see on some stores contract the words 'restocking fee applies IF THE BOX HAS BEEN OPENED'.

It all sounds reasonable to me, shop wisely especially when it's electronics.
But, as Sam said above... I don't think I have EVER seen an item marked down due to restocking. I have seen items on the shelf with bits of leftover wrapping paper on the box at the same price as the rest of the merchandise.... Items are constantly retaped and put back on the shelf for the same price...

Steve

Enjoying life!
Best Buy Returns

I didn't have to pay a restocking fee, but I did have to attempt the return process twice at BB before I finally succeeded. Their "process" for returns goes something like this:

1. Stand in the first line to "check-in", whatever the hell that means.
2. After being assigned to a clerk, return your item and explain like you're talking to a 2-y.o. exactly why you are bringing it back.
3. Stand in a second line to get your cash back.

I aborted my first attempt on Monday at step 1. I also had an item to pick up, so I decided to circumvent the "check-in" process and go to the register labeled "Pick-Ups". I told her I also had a return, but she blew me off because I didn't follow the "process". Then she took - no shit - 20 minutes to find my pick-up order. So I spent about 30 minutes there on Monday, just to get a game controller. Buddly Lee was my witness; he saw me there.

I went back yesterday determined to follow the "process" this time. :yay: I get in line according to step #1. A guy in front of me is returning a complete computer system, or so I thought. He was actually buying it, so why was he in the returns line? Who knows? :shrug: And the clerk is just rambling on, telling the customer stories about other customers he's helped over the last week or so. The guy buying the computer obviously could give a shit; he just wants to go. Meanwhile, the returns line continues to grow.

After nearly 10 minutes, I'm giving the clerk the hairy eyeball. Finally he says to me (still working with computer guy, BTW) "Can I help you?" "Yeah, I got a return..." "Oh, just go right through to one of the registers and they'll help you."

UFB...so why did I stand there for 10 minutes? What happened to the "process"? I'll buy all my stuff online from now on, I think.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:

That is a little steep, and Wal-Mart, nor Target do that. I'd write Best Buy and let them know about your displeasure for sure, I could see MAYBE 5% fee.. but 15%??

Especially this time of year, you'd think they'd be more forgiving on their return policy... oh, and in your letter make sure you mention Circuit City. let them know you returned the camera then went and spent the money at Circuit City, or Wal-Mart.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've been reading about this - different companies have had differing luck with "re-stocking" fees. Most of the folks online I've read from, including Best Buy employees have confirmed, this is strictly to prevent "loaners" - people who 'buy' something for short-term use, and return it for full price. Say, a student who buys a lap-top, uses it for a weekend and brings it back after they've written their term paper.

now THAT makes sense.. i wouldn't put it past somebody to buy a digital camera for a wedding, then return after they've downloaded the pictures.

itsbob said:

now THAT makes sense.. i wouldn't put it past somebody to buy a digital camera for a wedding, then return after they've downloaded the pictures.

I know people who have pulled that at Lowes. Buy a tiller etc., use it and return it. Lowes has no restocking fee. So why does BB? I'll shop somewhere else.

Cletus_Vandam

mainman said:
But, as Sam said above... I don't think I have EVER seen an item marked down due to restocking. I have seen items on the shelf with bits of leftover wrapping paper on the box at the same price as the rest of the merchandise.... Items are constantly retaped and put back on the shelf for the same price...

I think that if you checked around on this, you might find that some vendors cannot re-sell certain products that have been returned.

On a similar note there are some vendors re-selling things that are not permitted to be re-sold after return. I recall seeing a story about Victorias Secrets restocking panties after they were returned.... Real nice. :whistle:

I know that Ross and some of the other stores that carry the reduced price merchanidise get their inventory from returns, as well as last year's model/style that didn't sell.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a friend who impulse-buys large ticket items, then returns them within days. I'd charge him $20 just to walk in my store.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Returns are an expense to businesses. Not a write-off. They increase inventory because a returned item might already have been reordered and restocked. They cost sales because someone else may have actually purchased and kept the item that someone else chose to return. And it takes time for someone to handle all of the paperwork with the customers and vendors.

So, returns are a cost of doing business. And sometimes, they are a very large cost. That's why restocking fees are charged. Your displeasure with restocking fees are why small businesses can't get away with charging them.