Ace Hardware PRICE GAUGES Wood Pellets

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Got a message from Ace Hardware today (have no idea WHERE) telling me they have Pellets available....limited to 25 bags...must pick up within 48 hours...AT 5.65 A BAG!!!!!!!!!!! :burning:

They're charging this rate simply because they CAN not because their supplier has gone UP in price. Reminds me of gas prices over the last week or two.

I'll wait TYVM.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I am well aware of that. HOWEVER...it is NOT IMHO in the least bit fair to double the price of a bag of pellets if the supplier has not done so. A new plant opened up so production shouild be up, coupled with the fact that it's been very mild, so lower consumption should account for something. Price gauging steams me ROYALLY. Pellets are suppose to be a cost effective, efficient, environmentally safe means of heathing one's house.

willie

Very mild? I'm freezin' my ass off and just got a fill up of #2 fuel oil for $473.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OH don't get me started....Suburban charged me 3.25 for propane which we only use for the stove and the hot water heater :burning:

:huggy: appy....need it put through the grinder, then the pulper...then extruded into rabbit pellet looking things....can you do that for me while i wait? :lol:

G

Gemmi

happyappygirl said:
Got a message from Ace Hardware today (have no idea WHERE) telling me they have Pellets available....limited to 25 bags...must pick up within 48 hours...AT 5.65 A BAG!!!!!!!!!!! :burning:

They're charging this rate simply because they CAN not because their supplier has gone UP in price. Reminds me of gas prices over the last week or two.

I'll wait TYVM.

I work at a True Value and we have not been able to get any pellets at all this winter.They have been on order since September.I don't know about Ace,but ours did go up about a $1.00 more in price from last year.

Christy

b*tch rocket
happyappygirl said:

I'll wait TYVM.
:yikes: Holy crap! I got the call too, but didn't ask how much they were. That is insane! I may have to pass as well.

willie

happyappygirl said:
OH don't get me started....Suburban charged me 3.25 for propane which we only use for the stove and the hot water heater :burning:

:huggy: appy....need it put through the grinder, then the pulper...then extruded into rabbit pellet looking things....can you do that for me while i wait? :lol:

Might want to try Taylor for the Propane...$2.45 on 12-20-05.

MMDad

Lem Putt
What's a price gauge? Is that like a tire gauge? Does it measure the pressure of the pellets?

L

ladylara

i'm guessing that maryland does not have a law against price gouging.
during the hurricane, the food lion in solomons was charging $12.99 for a four pack of D batteries. the 7-11 in prince frederick was charging $7.99 for a pound bag of ice.
way to go - kick people while they're down. :tantrum

SamSpade

ladylara said:
i'm guessing that maryland does not have a law against price gouging.
They have SOME - when it's clear that THAT is what's happening.

You do realize that when a LOT of people want something that is in very limited supply - the prices go UP. It isn't screw people when they're down - it's supply and demand. If there was always a constant supply of product to the shelves to consistently meet the demand, there'd *never* be a price change either up OR down.

T.Rally

When demand goes up it is because the supply has gone down for some reason. Demand does not increase on someone's whim. There is an inverse relationship between supply and demand and a direct relationship between demand and price. Supply goes up, demand goes down, prices go down. Supply goes down, demand goes up and prices go up.

Ace Hardware, who may rely on pellet sales to make up a certain percentage of gross sales, now faces the realization that sales of pellets are going to way down this year. Not only are sales going to be down but so will his profit margin. To combat this he raises his price.

Some may call him a greedy businessman others may call him shrewd.

In a supply and demand economy, one could make the arguement that there can be no such thing as price gouging.

Last edited:

SamSpade

David said:
Well, the prices "typically" go up when supply is low because the suppliers know that they can charge more and people will likely pay it. This is not a universal law of physics that can never be broken. This is purely a human decision. Prices do NOT have to go up just because demand increases. The supplier could charge the same price as always and make the same profit he did before. One could easily argue that it is greed that drives the prices up. Capitalism says that you do something to make a profit. Capitalism does not demand that you be greedy.
There are a lot of factors than simple supply and demand, and one of them I alluded to - and it plays a lot into this. And that's the flow of goods to the seller. If the shelves are always stocked, there's no particular consequence there - obviously, if the shelves aren't going to BE resupplied, and demand is too high, it's sensible that prices will go up.

But with a commodity like wood pellets - or anything that can be sold by volume - you have to take into consideration how long before your shelves are full and what future demand is going to be. For example, you're a wood pellet dealer, and you know that you're only getting in one more shipment before spring - when the demand will drop nearly to zero. How do you price your product, knowing that you'll have empty shelves a couple months before the season is over?

Like any capitalist, I also recognize there's certainly nothing wrong with getting as much as you can for what you're selling. I find it strange that if we're talking DVD players or PlayStations, no one whines about "greed", even though their pricing can be outrageous. Why? Well, because no one "needs" those things. (Most people don't really 'need' wood pellets either, unless they were dumb enough to become completely dependent on a commodity that they had NO IDEA how to get when they needed it).

I tend to have similar feelings towards those ill-diposed towards politics regarding oil. For reasons I can't guess, the oil companies are always greedy, the oil sheiks for some reason *aren't* (just being good capitalists and opportunists), all because they deal in a product that so many depend on - BUT - should they interfere in national poliicy to secure that lifeline, it's seen as EVIL. I just don't get why it's seen as stopping price gouging domestically, but robber baron imperialism when oil companies try to secure THEIR lifeline. Why can't THEY say, hey, I'm just trying to stop US from being gouged?

Anyway---

There are ways to tell if it's price gouging, but it's not easy.