Live Rock - Aquaruim type

slik

Considering starting a saltwater tank.
Anyone know where I can find some live rock ? Any idea of how much would be the appropriate amount to use for a 42 gallon hex tank ?

Happened to be in Petco - they said they could order some for me but just didn't feel to good about it when I saw all of the dead fish in their tanks.

I also have a large (8") Pleco that is looking for a home if any one is interested.

slik said:
Anyone know where I can find some live rock ? Any idea of how much would be the appropriate amount to use for a 42 gallon hex tank ?

Happened to be in Petco - they said they could order some for me but just didn't feel to good about it when I saw all of the dead fish in their tanks.

I also have a large (8") Pleco that is looking for a home if any one is interested.
I have ordered mine online in the past. The pet store in Great Mills has some, but its crummy. I have been thinking about getting rid of my salt water set up so I might just have a deal for you. I've got a 45 gallon tank with some well established rock. I'll give it some serious thought if you are interested.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
We got our live rock from Tampabay saltwater. http://www.tbsaltwater.com/

Look at "The Package" We did 75 gallon tank in our bedroom. They helped us from start to finish and it is grogeous and sooooooo alive.

This is eco-friendly live rock and some of the most beautiful we have ever seen. And you get so many unexpected extras. We even got a little octopus in ours.

Well worth the price.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
slik said:

Generally a good rule of thumb, 1lb of live rock per gallon of water (not always perfect but it works).

A good, you'd never know it was there unless you looked, place is Roozens Nursery ( <--Linky ) (in PG) they have both a good selection of Live rock, fish and corals. I've used them for years, in setting up tanks and adding to existing tanks.
they do have "some" tank supplies (lights wet/dry's protein skimmers etc) and will definetly almost always be cheaper than PetsMart/Petco. ex: their live rock runs between $2.00 to $5.00 per pound.

They are actually the supplier for alot of the FPS's in the DC area.

Its run by a couple of Dutch brothers, and the store is a little "rough" (their other job is a plant nursery) but they are more than willing to help the "newbie" out there, dont be afraid to ask them (or their workers) questions.

warning on the Live rock, even though it is cured its always a good idea to cure it first. if your setting up a new tank, then its not a problem (and actually the organisms and bacteria that settle from the rock will help your tank get established).

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
slik said:

A 42 gallon tank is too small for a stable salt tank in my opinion. I had a thiry salt tank for a while. It was terrrible to keep stable. I had a 125 salt tank for a long time. It was far easier to take care of than the 30. About 75 gallon is the smallest I'd do now.

Get your live rock on line. Here is a good place. https://www.aquacon.com/saltwater_aquarium_liverock.html

They have a great selection of fish, too.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Looks like Rosens may get their stuff from the place I linked unless they import it themselves. Rock from Fiji.

The place I linked has free shipping on rock.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
slik said:

I got a 90. I'll take your Pleco. I was at Petco today and bought 2 Red Tails and 2 Albino sharks. Those people do NOT know how to handle fish that's for sure. If your converting to salt it will tell you on the box. I had a salt tank and went back to a regular. To much build up of salt resin.
Don't know of anyone around here that carry's live rock. One place in DC, can't remember the name off hand. Will get back to ya. I know what good does that help. :lol:
One thing I did was take some nice rocks from the beach's around here an other places. Soaked them for days in clean water. NO problems and looks really nice. :yay:

slik

unixpirate said:
I got a 90. I'll take your Pleco. I was at Petco today and bought 2 Red Tails and 2 Albino sharks. Those people do NOT know how to handle fish that's for sure. If your converting to salt it will tell you on the box. I had a salt tank and went back to a regular. To much build up of salt resin.
Don't know of anyone around here that carry's live rock. One place in DC, can't remember the name off hand. Will get back to ya. I know what good does that help. :lol:
One thing I did was take some nice rocks from the beach's around here an other places. Soaked them for days in clean water. NO problems and looks really nice. :yay:

PM me with a way to contact you and we can make arrangements for the pleco. I actually have 2 large plecos you can check them out and decide which (or both) you might want. I'm in Chuck county in the La Plata area.

MysticalMom said:
We got our live rock from Tampabay saltwater. http://www.tbsaltwater.com/

Look at "The Package" We did 75 gallon tank in our bedroom. They helped us from start to finish and it is grogeous and sooooooo alive.

This is eco-friendly live rock and some of the most beautiful we have ever seen. And you get so many unexpected extras. We even got a little octopus in ours.

Well worth the price.
That's pretty cool about the octopus, is he still alive? I got a sea urchin in some live rock from somewhere, maybe even the Tampa place and he's huge now. He started out this little thing that looked like fuzz.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
desertrat said:
That's pretty cool about the octopus, is he still alive? I got a sea urchin in some live rock from somewhere, maybe even the Tampa place and he's huge now. He started out this little thing that looked like fuzz.

My octopus commited suicide not long after the tank was established. The stupid thing spooked and swooshed backwards right into one the sea anemones, which stung it and it died. :twitch:

camily

Peace
My friend has a little one. He is a cutie! I have a snowflake eel, a yellow tang, 2 pajama cardinals, a clown, and a sailfin tang. There are also several hermit crabs and a horseshoe crab. I got a chocolate chip starfish last week but he died. So sad.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
camily said:
My friend has a little one. He is a cutie! I have a snowflake eel, a yellow tang, 2 pajama cardinals, a clown, and a sailfin tang. There are also several hermit crabs and a horseshoe crab. I got a chocolate chip starfish last week but he died. So sad.

I just got some peppermint shrimp. They're so cool.

Draco69

I know this is an old thread, but i was reading thru and see that all of you guys and gals have saltwater tanks. My name is kenny, and I am the tresurer for the local salwater club here in southern maryland. Our website is www.smmas.org . We are a non profit organization and have lots of fun with corals and fish and playing with tanks. There is about 60 of us locals that get together all the time and do coral fragging and swaps. We have 13 sponsors that we get some really nice deals with and they donate some nice items to us for our yearly symposium. Speaking of our symposium, it will be happening in september this year and I should know next week which special guest we have coming and speaking. We have a local live rock dealer that recently starting a busniess in wildwood in his garage. He gets some very nice rock and cures it and sells it real cheap. Another great sponsor is DR. Macs, out in eastern md. We recently ( last week ) picked up another sponsor in VA that is selling frags of corals starting at 5 bucks. I hope that i see everyone visit our site and register on the forums. Everyone take care now. :howdy: