Electronic Throttle Control System

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Ok guys I had the fear of God put in me this morning. On my way to drop the little one off at the baby sitters I was coming up Rt. 5 when some moron who didn't know what a left turn lane was decided to start braking heavily in the left lane. I hopped into the right lane and hit the gas pretty hard as to not cut anyone off. Well the engine opened up and wouldn't stop accelerating. I hit the brakes and it did nothing, I put the car in manual (it's an automanual) and tried to manually down shift and finally I had to put the car in neutral and stomp the brakes for a good minute or so before the engine would stop. The RPMs stayed in the 7-8 range the entire time this was all happening.

The car is under warranty and I plan on taking it in to get checked out but I don't want to go in blind. I've done some research this morning and my car is equiped with this "Electronic Throttle Control System." I think that's where the malfunction was. Does anyone know anything about these systems? They're realatively new and not many cars have them for anything other then cruise control.

Another thing. I know there's a chip that can be put in the engine to add horsepower. How do I tell if my car has one of these? The car is supposed to have 215-200 hp but I tell you it had more then that. My dad has a Z28 which I've put the petal to the floor on before. It supposedly has 300 hp. This morning my car took off faster then his ever has.

SxyPrincess

What did I tell ya? There's gotta be a reason you got the car so cheap. :really:

I'd call that funky guy at the dealership, or the manager and explain the situation. The car should still be under some kind of dealership warranty (if they honor it) and hopefully they can look at it w/out any expense on your part.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Don't know about the fancy stuff, but I could be as simple as the accelerator sticking. My Mercedes did that and I plowed into the back of a lady a couple of years ago in DC traffic.:frown:

SmallTown

Football season!
Maybe if you didn't stomp on the gas you wouldn't have the problem! I had a similar problem once where the cruise control wouldn't shut off... Hit the breaks and the car would slow down, but let off and the car resumes speed. Scary stuff.

As for the Z28 comparison, that is pretty easy. Americans love cars with big engines. They haven't quite mastered the act of getting as much power to the wheels in a timely matter. Must be a redneck thing where they think size matters. But anyways, foreign cars are more efficient with their power. In school I was riding in a (only slighly modified) acura integra. We pulled up next to a 5.0 'tang and smoked by him. Sure, since the 5.0 has the larger motor, he EVENTUALLY caught up with us and passed. But it took a LONG time. I like to hit the gas and have the car move. American's seem to like to hit the gas, hear the car rumble for awhile, then go.

And no, I don't support racing on the highways... Anymore... :smile:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by SmallTown
Maybe if you didn't stomp on the gas you wouldn't have the problem! I had a similar problem once where the cruise control wouldn't shut off... Hit the breaks and the car would slow down, but let off and the car resumes speed. Scary stuff.

As for the Z28 comparison, that is pretty easy. Americans love cars with big engines. They haven't quite mastered the act of getting as much power to the wheels in a timely matter. Must be a redneck thing where they think size matters. But anyways, foreign cars are more efficient with their power. In school I was riding in a (only slighly modified) acura integra. We pulled up next to a 5.0 'tang and smoked by him. Sure, since the 5.0 has the larger motor, he EVENTUALLY caught up with us and passed. But it took a LONG time. I like to hit the gas and have the car move. American's seem to like to hit the gas, hear the car rumble for awhile, then go.

And no, I don't support racing on the highways... Anymore... :smile:

and you wonder why people take issue with you. :frown:

However, I am a redneck and I'm here ta tell ya...SIZE matters!! Guess I'm an American too..aren't you?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Maybe if you didn't stomp on the gas you wouldn't have the problem!

:biteme: If I didn't stomp the gas then I'd have slowed down traffic behind me. Just because the idiot in front of me didn't mind being rude and making people stomp their brakes doesn't mean I need to do the same to other people. :rolleyes:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
What did I tell ya? There's gotta be a reason you got the car so cheap. :really:

I'd call that funky guy at the dealership, or the manager and explain the situation. The car should still be under some kind of dealership warranty (if they honor it) and hopefully they can look at it w/out any expense on your part.

The car is still warrantied by Lexus so I'm not worried about paying for it. I just want to get a good idea of what the problem may be when I take it in to get fixed.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by cattitude
and you wonder why people take issue with you. :frown:

However, I am a redneck and I'm here ta tell ya...SIZE matters!! Guess I'm an American too..aren't you?

I'm just saying Americans "speed" cars generally come about by putting as big of a motor as possible into a car. Foreign makers try to get the most bang for the buck. When you have a 4cylinder acura go past an 8 cylinder ford, there is a problem there.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
DAGGONE Pix!! I haven't a clue about the throttle control system, but am VERY glad that you were able to get things under control and that you and Noah were alright. That had to be the scariest thing ever. Thank goodness ya'll are alright, and I hope you can figure out what caused the problem.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I would just like to let everyone know that Lexus (thus far) is awsome! I called the 800 customer service # to find out where to take my car since it's still under warranty and to have everything put in my name since I didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer. I didn't have to wait on hold at all. They're sending me an owners manual and supplement since I didn't get one. I was explained all the warranties on my car. I told the guy about what happend this morning, he appologized about a million times and called a local Lexus dealer himself as well as giving me the number he was calling in order to get the car fixed ASAP. When I called the dealership, the guy I needed to speak was unavailable so I left a message. As soon as I hung up the phone the guy from the 800 # was calling to let me know that he tried to contact the same person and was unable to reach him but left him a message and would be sending him an email.

Thus far Lexus gets :yay: :yay: from me!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Have you checked for recalls on your model. I remember YEARS ago Audi had that problem with it's cars. It was all over the news and they started recalling them. I couldn't tell you what the problem was. I was too young and too poh to afford an Audi.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Christy
Have you checked for recalls on your model. I remember YEARS ago Audi had that problem with it's cars. It was all over the news and they started recalling them. I couldn't tell you what the problem was. I was too young and too poh to afford an Audi.

That was the first thing I checked this morning. Not a recall on anything.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
ok ok, enough of this, your car is not faster than a z28 with a LS1 motor in it, either is a slightly modded Acura, bring your Lexus and your Acura and see what 320 horses to the rear wheels will do your rice cars.:biggrin:

On a lighter note, I'm glad your safe Rachel, be careful!!:kiss: :kiss:

Again I feel the need to say :biteme: ! I've had plenty of experience driving a z28 and BTW my dad's is nicer then yours and my car took off faster then my dad's ever has. Upon research this morning I read somewhere that they use the same engines in the IS 300 that they used in the Supra. So double :biteme: :biteme: ! I'm sure the top speed of a z28 is faster then an IS 300 but the get up and go is no where near the same.

I personally have no love for the Acura Integra either. I hate them. Nothing more then a glorified Civic. An IS 300 is a far cry from an integra.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by pixiegirl

I personally have no love for the Acura Integra either. I hate them. Nothing more then a glorified Civic. An IS 300 is a far cry from an integra.

I was only saying if the integra good do it, I know the IS could do it easily. Grant it, it was a "Type R" integra, but still.

You get what you pay for. Lexus might cost more than other cars, and some people will look at it and say "Nothing special". I can't say anything about the IS because I only drove one once and it was a bit tight, but drove the SC a couple of times and just from a "feel" standpoint I was sold (if I had that kind of cash to drop on a car). Until you have driven a car like the SC or even a BWM 3 series, you can't really appreciate the added cost. The same probably holds true for the IS (I could almost see pixie smiling through the computer when she first told us about hers!).

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
ST, I wasn't busting your chops about the Integra; Joey's. It's ok I understand how it is. My dad tried to talk me into a z28 since he's got one. After driving my IS he's a changed man and is looking at the new Accord as a potential new car.

You and I actually agree on something. I better check the weather channel I think hell might be freezing over! :kiss:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by joeyinlexpark
here you go Pixie, read and weep hon, and I said becareful and gave you a kiss and you treat me like that, hmmmmmm, oh well you can as well BITE ME.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=72388&highlight=Lexus+IS300

Ok Joey and these again are opinions. Like I said in my original post there is some chip you can out in to boost hp. I think my car has one because it accelerated a lot better then it should have. I test drove the new V6 Accord and opened it up. It has 240 hp and my car took off better then that one did too.

I'll give this to you though.... Yes, your penis is bigger then mine.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Oh and BTW I didn't see not one article. I saw a message board just like this one and if you want to take everything you read on here as fact then God help you. :rolleyes: