Get THIS!!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
CNN has some Congressman on TV who is putting forth a bill that makes it against the law for you to smoke in your car!!!!!!!! A misdemeanor and a $30 fine!!!!!!!!

When will this end?

K

Kain99

What in God's name is he baseing this idea on?

Is it offenseive for people to "See one smoke now?"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, I see...he's talking about making it against the law to smoke in your car if you have children in it.

While these people are trying to parent my children, why don't they come take over the teenager? :duh:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by vraiblonde
CNN has some Congressman on TV who is putting forth a bill that makes it against the law for you to smoke in your car!!!!!!!! A misdemeanor and a $30 fine!!!!!!!!

When will this end?

What's his name?!?!? I will back that bill!! (Hey, Larry, ya with me?)

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I looked in http://news.google.com and the articles describe it as a bill in the Georgia legislature, not the US Congress. I agree that it's a dumb bill (and I'm not even a smoker). Maybe you can organize a road trip to Atlanta instead to protest it. My wife and I don't allow smoking in our house, which I'm sure might be asking for an idiot lawsuit from a guest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
My wife and I don't allow smoking in our house, which I'm sure might be asking for an idiot lawsuit from a guest.
Why? It's your house - if you don't want people smoking in it, that's your right.

My daughter came to me one day and said, "You know, so-and-so's Mom won't let her come over here because you smoke." I was like, "Good! Tell her to keep her a$$ at home."
:duh:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Why? It's your house - if you don't want people smoking in it, that's your right.

I agree 100 percent. But I don't know if a personal injury lawyer would agree.

H

Heretic

I think there should be more of a law against people throwing the butts out their car windows.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Check this out....

How much more can we take of government running our lives?
Now they want to turn our relatives, friends and neighbors against us!

Net used to tattle on smokers
Tempe police add new tool to reduce bar violations

Jan. 30, 2003 12:00 AM

Cigarette snitches can now go anonymously online to have undercover police dispatched to smoky Tempe bars.

An online complaint form at www.tempe.gov/police/Smoking_Violations.htm is the latest attempt to catch violators of the city's controversial smoking ban.

During the months after the ban went into effect, uniformed officers responded to 140 complaints but issued only five citations. At several bars, employees would warn customers as police approached, and police could cite only if they caught someone in the act.

So earlier this month, Chief Ralph Tranter designated a team of plainclothes officers to work full time targeting smokers until compliance increased.

After a week's work, they had issued more citations than the beat officers did in six months, and bar compliance increased dramatically.

But there were also dozens of complaints from residents and business owners about undercover officers being used to catch smokers instead of car thieves or prostitutes.

This week, Tempe once again revised the smoking enforcement policy.

Now undercover officers will only respond to complaints filed online or over the phone.

"So many people go online, and we have a lot of hits on our Web site," said Tempe Sgt. Dan Masters. "It's just another tool for us and an option for people who many not feel comfortable calling and giving their name or feel like they don't want to bother the police department by calling."

The Web page provides a complaint form with spaces to mark whether it is customers or employees smoking and room for an explanation of the violations. Complainants don't have to identify themselves

MGKrebs

endangered species
http://www.jointogether.org/sa/news/summaries/reader/0,1854,556367,00.html

Georgia Bill Would Ban Smoking in Car with Kids
1/30/2003

"Legislation introduced in the Georgia House of Representatives would prohibit smoking in a car where a child is restrained in a car seat, the Associated Press reported Jan. 29.

"This is just protecting the kids from second-hand smoke. It's damaging to adults and it's even more dangerous to children," said Rep. Paul Smith (D-Rome), who proposed the bill.

"The bill would apply to cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. It carries a misdemeanor charge. "

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
What's next?

...ratting out fat people in McDonalds?

...buying junk food at the mini-mart?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just curious...

In the letter and spirit of the law, what if you get busted for smoking on the way to the clinic to have an abortion?

I offer this because it occurs to me that first hand smoking straight into the bloodsteam is obviously more toxic therefore more of a danger to the intended protected class...

Further, if abortion is a right protected by the privacy argument "smoked" out of R v. W, how in the hell can smoking NOT be a matter of choice, child or not?

No Catt, not gonna support this one! I end up taking her side when the issue becomes government force over something the chicken sshihts won't ban yet wanna make money and faux moral points over!

Puff, puff...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Something interesting I've noticed:

I smoked when I was pregnant with both of my bio-kids and all through their growing up years. Neither had or have respiratory problems - no asthma, no bronchial weirdness of any kind. Contrast that with most of the kids in my daughters' classes, who have all kinds of issues and take all kinds of medication for them - yet Mommy has never smoked a cigarette in her life.

Is it me or does it seem like these bubble kids have all kinds of problems, yet the kids who grew up with all these toxins around them are just fine?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Something interesting I've noticed:

I smoked when I was pregnant with both of my bio-kids and all through their growing up years. Neither had or have respiratory problems - no asthma, no bronchial weirdness of any kind. Contrast that with most of the kids in my daughters' classes, who have all kinds of issues and take all kinds of medication for them - yet Mommy has never smoked a cigarette in her life.

Is it me or does it seem like these bubble kids have all kinds of problems, yet the kids who grew up with all these toxins around them are just fine?
Nope, I’ve noticed it too. Kids exposed to "hazards" seem to adapt and overcome. Those shielded and anti-bacterially scrubbed within an inch of their lives seem to end up being sickly. Is there a message here?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Neither of my kids have ever had an ear infection. They've never even had a bad flu. Healthy as horses. My Mom smoked with me and all through my growing up years and I only had one ear infection when I was a kid. And I can count on one hand the number of times I've been really sick in my whole life.

Testimonials, anyone? This is interesting, now that I'm thinking about it.

alex

Vrai - I agree. All this antibacterial this and antibacterial that is a big problem. My Mom smoked with all 4 kids and we grew up with. We were basically pretty health outside of childhood illnesses like measles, chickenpox, etc. None of us has allergies or needed tubes for ear infections.

Our son is basically pretty healthy too. We don't smoke but I don't panic about everything being germfree in the house either. I think all this is just the growth of trying to protect everyone and everything. We are so paranoid in this country and expect everything to be perfect all the time when life just isn't that way.

SxyPrincess

My mom smoked during all four of her pregnancies. I smoked for about 3 months while I was pregnant, then gave it up...and started again. :rolleyes: Aside from a few sniffles and 2 ear infections, my daughter has been healthy.

Also, my parents never bundled me up with a gazillion blankets when there was a slight breeze outside. I think the more you're exposed to certain conditions, the more you'll adapt and be less likely to get sick.

SxyPrincess

Oh, and I never boiled a single bottle in my daughters infant months. I know they say you are supposed to do this to kill the germs, but does it really help that much?