Anybody got a good idea for part-time work?

SamSpade

I've been doing tax preparation - but - the season is actually very short. They prepare all the way up to April 15, but the number of clients drops off considerably by the middle of February - which is when they send most of us home.

I'm thinking that the best part-time work isn't advertised - since I don't see all that much. What kind of part-time work have you done in the past?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
vraiblonde said:
Tend bar or wait tables in a good restaurant. The best part-time wages available. :yay:

True. If you get in with a swanky restaurant, it's not unusual to walk out after 6 hours of work on a Friday or Saturday night with $300 in your pocket. Bartending can be more hit or miss, depending on the venue.

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
SamSpade said:
I've been doing tax preparation - but - the season is actually very short. They prepare all the way up to April 15, but the number of clients drops off considerably by the middle of February - which is when they send most of us home.

I'm thinking that the best part-time work isn't advertised - since I don't see all that much. What kind of part-time work have you done in the past?

I have worked part time job at Staples in Copy Center. They pay a little more than the mininum wage and gives out bonuses checks every quarter. :yay: They also pay a very good pay if you work on a holiday. For example, if you make $7.00 an hour, they pay you 1.5 more of that hourly pay for working on a holiday. Why don't you check out Staples and ask to speak with the managers and ask for a part time job? That's what I did even though they don't advertised the jobs available.

Good Luck!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I had a part-time job for three summers bartending, and those summers always provided me with a TON of money. I typically worked 20-22 hours per week, for 6.5 months of the year, and averaged over $2K extra per month. It was a wonderful job, allowing me extra money and being surrounded by some really terrific customers; I only had a scant handful of bad customers.

I'd love to bartend again, just don't think my old, decrepit body can handle it any more. :bawl:

R

remaxrealtor

I'm looking for someone to do some speadsheet work for me. Not a ton of hours, but you can do it at home and I pay pretty well. PM if interested!

bcp

In My Opinion
Just curious
how come only part time work?
Do you have a full time job and are just looking to supplement your current income, or do you have time limitations due to child care etc...
Either way is really no problem and no real business of mine, I do understand this.

Im asking because I have been thinking on moving the services of at least one of my company divisions to southern maryland and will be needing
sales people
cleaning crews
landscape crews
and a supervisor/office manager for the buisness there. (I can not be in three places at once.
somebody to beat the crews on a regular basis.. (just kidding)

morganj614

bcp said:
Just curious
how come only part time work?
Do you have a full time job and are just looking to supplement your current income, or do you have time limitations due to child care etc...
Either way is really no problem and no real business of mine, I do understand this.

Im asking because I have been thinking on moving the services of at least one of my company divisions to southern maryland and will be needing
sales people
cleaning crews
landscape crews
and a supervisor/office manager for the buisness there. (I can not be in three places at once.

I'll administer the beatings, as long as they agree to wear my blindfold :yay:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
elaine said:
Pizza delivery. :yay:

Did that, many years ago. It paid fairly well, but there were a couple differences.

One was, I delivered in a unique place - a fairly densely populated, blue-collar town with no traffic lights, light traffic and very little crime.

The downside was - I had to use my own car. I could rack up a few HUNDRED miles a night. It tore my car to pieces, and the compensation they gave for that wasn't nearly good enough.

The other was - at the time, it was my ONLY job - I started at 4pm and went till an hour past closing - about 1am. I could NEVER get up before noon on long nights. And I had little time for social life, as almost everyone I knew was working when I was off.

bcp

In My Opinion
morganj614 said:
I'll administer the beatings, as long as they agree to wear my blindfold :yay:
Hell with the employees,, Im hiring you for me.:wench:

thank you master,, may I have another?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Frank said:
Did that, many years ago. It paid fairly well, but there were a couple differences.

One was, I delivered in a unique place - a fairly densely populated, blue-collar town with no traffic lights, light traffic and very little crime.

The downside was - I had to use my own car. I could rack up a few HUNDRED miles a night. It tore my car to pieces, and the compensation they gave for that wasn't nearly good enough.

The other was - at the time, it was my ONLY job - I started at 4pm and went till an hour past closing - about 1am. I could NEVER get up before noon on long nights. And I had little time for social life, as almost everyone I knew was working when I was off.

I was joking.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
bcp said:
and a supervisor/office manager for the buisness there.
Ohhhh pick me pick me - I want out of DC

Frank, I work full time in dc and bartend on the side. It's usually worth it but you'll have to figure out where ya want to work vs what kind of crowd and what hours you can handle. I have to be honest, some nights my body feels like I spent the night in a Turkish prison. And then you have some nights where you showed up and nobody else did and you walk away with next to nothing in $.

SamSpade

elaine said:
I was joking.
Actually, it paid pretty well, at the time. It was the late 80's and I made about 6-700 bucks a week. Not too bad for four nights a week and very easy work. It came at a time when I was in way too deep into a cult, and it was an easy excuse NOT to have to go to all their pointless meetings - because I was working.

Actually, I wouldn't mind tending bar for extra cash - but I haven't seen evidence that anyplace local is hurting for help. (I'm not about to hike up to DC just for extra cash).

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
SamSpade said:
Actually, I wouldn't mind tending bar for extra cash - but I haven't seen evidence that anyplace local is hurting for help. (I'm not about to hike up to DC just for extra cash).

Jethros is always looking for help.

SamSpade said:
Serious? That might be fun, and I'd get to hang out with y'all from time to time.
I think you would have a blast working there on Friday nights... but be sure to think this through... Otter can get pretty persnickety if you don't keep a full bottle in front of him.