Prepaid Legal Representation??

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Anyone ever heard of these guys, or groups similar to them?

http://www.prepaidlegal.com

I posted on Indystar.com that I was looking for a good lawyer, and asked for recommendations. This guy, a member of the site, emailed me and told him I should give him a call.

http://wserver0.prepaidlegal.com/Multisite/Multisite?site=hub&assoc=wjstroup

I don't think he's a lawyer - I think he's a salesman. Looks like I deal with many lawyers depending on the subject matter, not him. But, this thing about becoming an independent associate reminds me of Amway.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I did find their BBB report:
http://data.bbb.org/houston2.asp

What I liked about this group is that I have the ability to talk with multiple lawyers in all fields over the life of the membership, and still have a one-stop shop. It's $29 a month for the basic plan - even if I use them only once in a 5 year period, I could see myself recouping that investment easily.

I have several things coming up that I may need legal help with.
1. The employment issues that I'm working on right now.
2. Family law, visitation rights, etc.
3. Opening a new business within 2 years.

It seems to me that this company is almost a 'legal insurance' policy.

I've just never heard of anything like it, and I was wondering if anyone else had.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
RoseRed said:
Doesn't that cost $$$
Most lawyers will give an initial consultation for a reasonable price, and can help you determine if you need more.

Whan my wife and kids were hit, a local lawyer gave me three half hour consultations for free.

Even if you do have to pay, it'll probably work out to be cheaper than any prepaid scam thing.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
MMDad said:
Most lawyers will give an initial consultation for a reasonable price, and can help you determine if you need more.

Whan my wife and kids were hit, a local lawyer gave me three half hour consultations for free.

Even if you do have to pay, it'll probably work out to be cheaper than any prepaid scam thing.
I'd heard that, and I mentioned it to a couple other friends who's reactions were "don't count it, you'll be paying out the yin-yang for a single consultation" and "you'll have to pay at least a retainer's fee to talk to him." Granted, the only people I've talked to were people who went through a divorce and all of them feel they got screwed.

Seems like there are so many bad lawyers out there - how do you find a decent fair one, if there is such a thing?

sleuth said:
Seems like there are so many bad lawyers out there - how do you find a decent fair one, if there is such a thing?
I'm thinking you could actually call a lawyer's office and ask the person who answers the phone how it works...:shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
sleuth said:
I'd heard that, and I mentioned it to a couple other friends who's reactions were "don't count it, you'll be paying out the yin-yang for a single consultation" and "you'll have to pay at least a retainer's fee to talk to him." Granted, the only people I've talked to were people who went through a divorce and all of them feel they got screwed.

Lawyers have a bad rep, for good reason, but actually most are just honest people trying to make a living. The bad ones just make the whole profession look smarmy.

I just walked into the office and asked what it would take. I was willing to pay a reasonable fee, but I didn't have to.

As it turns out, the lawyer I saw is the one that JPC hates so much. Go figure, he was reasonable, fair, and honest.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
I'm thinking you could actually call a lawyer's office and ask the person who answers the phone how it works...:shrug:

:yeahthat:

Last time I met with an attorney the initial consultation was free. Beyond that, there was a retainer fee representing x billable hours, which was the normal time it took to resolve a case such as mine. I was then informed of the hourly "fee", which would come into play if more hours were needed. I wouldn't try to find a "deal" on an attorney. If you want the best results, find the best. That means you're going to have to ask people in your area (not necessarily your friends) who the best attorney would be for your circumstances.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
BadGirl said:
Anything "pre-paid" is seldom worth the money.

Sleuth, I will recommend one more time...find an attorney in the field of Employment Law. Get a consultation and go from there.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
cattitude said:

Sleuth, I will recommend one more time...find an attorney in the field of Employment Law. Get a consultation and go from there.

Stop making sense. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nickel said:

Last time I met with an attorney the initial consultation was free. Beyond that, there was a retainer fee representing x billable hours, which was the normal time it took to resolve a case such as mine. I was then informed of the hourly "fee", which would come into play if more hours were needed. I wouldn't try to find a "deal" on an attorney. If you want the best results, find the best. That means you're going to have to ask people in your area (not necessarily your friends) who the best attorney would be for your circumstances.

Sometimes attorneys charge hourly rates, other times they charge a flat fee. It all depends on the type of case and desired outcome. Personal injury and medical type of cases are percentage-based, with the attorney getting a percentage of the settlement, often with the plaintiff paying costs during the time of the case through settlement.