Bumper sticker rant

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The other day I saw a bumper sticker that had the Confederate battle flag with the message "Fighting Terrorism Since 1861."

Now, I can understand the feelings of today's Southerners who see the flag as a benign symbol of regional pride. I happen to disagree with them, because it wasn't so long ago that the flag was the chosen symbol of those who used murder and violence to defend segregation. But on the whole, I think it's admirable to take pride in being a Southerner.

What I don't like, however, is equating the Union cause in the Civil War with the kind of murderous religious fanaticism embodied by al Qaeda. Not that I condone what General Sherman did to Georgia, but to compare him to Bin Laden seems unrealistic. Besides, the bumper sticker referred to the year when the war started.

In my view, it's a mistake to romanticize the Southern cause as some noble struggle for independence. The South seceded because slaveowners wanted to expand slavery into the territories and the Republican Party was opposed to any such expansion. True, the majority of the Confederate soldiers, the grunts, didn't own slaves. But the Confederate politicians and much of the officer corps, especially the junior officers, were very pro-slavery. (General Lee was a notable exception.) As I see it, the slaveholding aristocracy was using poor Southern whites as cannon fodder to feed its own greed.

(If I had been Lincoln in 1861, I might have been tempted to offer the South a deal: recognition of the Confederacy as an independent nation in exchange for the complete abolition of slavery.)

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Tonio said:
The other day I saw a bumper sticker that had the Confederate battle flag with the message "Fighting Terrorism Since 1861."

Now, I can understand the feelings of today's Southerners who see the flag as a benign symbol of regional pride. I happen to disagree with them, because it wasn't so long ago that the flag was the chosen symbol of those who used murder and violence to defend segregation. But on the whole, I think it's admirable to take pride in being a Southerner.

What I don't like, however, is equating the Union cause in the Civil War with the kind of murderous religious fanaticism embodied by al Qaeda. Not that I condone what General Sherman did to Georgia, but to compare him to Bin Laden seems unrealistic. Besides, the bumper sticker referred to the year when the war started.

In my view, it's a mistake to romanticize the Southern cause as some noble struggle for independence. The South seceded because slaveowners wanted to expand slavery into the territories and the Republican Party was opposed to any such expansion. True, the majority of the Confederate soldiers, the grunts, didn't own slaves. But the Confederate politicians and much of the officer corps, especially the junior officers, were very pro-slavery. (General Lee was a notable exception.) As I see it, the slaveholding aristocracy was using poor Southern whites as cannon fodder to feed its own greed.

(If I had been Lincoln in 1861, I might have been tempted to offer the South a deal: recognition of the Confederacy as an independent nation in exchange for the complete abolition of slavery.)
Your posts give me a headache.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Being that it was a "Southern" bumper sticker, I'm pretty sure not that much thought was put into it.. and if you mentioned the civil war they probably would look at ya with the 1000 yard stare and exclaim.. Huh? Whatchu talkin about?

Little ol Billy Bob just thought it was pretty darn funny..

turtlebanana

History lesson

Tonio said:

You are an idiot. You have no idea what the Civil War was really about. Go take an American History class so that you don't come accross as such an uninformed, loud mouthed, dolt.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
turtlebanana said:
You are an idiot. You have no idea what the Civil War was really about. Go take an American History class so that you don't come accross as such an uninformed, loud mouthed, dolt.
Your post made me throw up in my mouth.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
turtlebanana said:
Who gives a crap what you think? :shutup:

Anyway, Tonio, I actually had to read your post before I 'got" the bumper sticker. It's dumb, whoever had it on their vehicle is dumb, end of story. Not surprising - lotsa dumbness going around. (See quote above)

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Ok turtle-with-bananas-for-brains...what is your version of the main cause of the civil war???? I think Tonio pretty much hit it correctly. Mostly southerners bellow that it was all about the north trampling on the state's rights of the south....at a time that the south was trying to expand slavery.

I think of "enemy of my country" whenever I see the confederate flag. The confederate army and it's supporters did not want to be citizens of the United States of America. They were our enemies by their own declaration. End of story.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
I still get a kick out of it when the rednecks hoot & holler with CDB:

So gather 'round, gather 'round chillun'
Get down, well just get down chillun'
Get loud, well you can be loud and be proud
Well you can be proud, hear now
Be proud you're a rebel
'Cause the South's gonna do it again and again

Do what again....lose????:killingme

Geek

Have you ever seen the pick up trucks with the uh, "things" hanging off behind the license plate? I hate those.

chevycentral

No sense

You really should learn more about the civil war before you speak. There is nothing wrong with the confederate flag, besides the fact that it gives people something to complain about. If you are worried about an old flag, something is wrong with you. Maybe you should worry about a more voulger sticker, like piss on ford or something. I am going to have a confederate flag head liner and a piss on ford sticker. heres one for you to not like and something new to talk about. STICKER

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Rambling tonight...

The Confederate flag is part of our history and it doesn't offend me in the slightest. I have a bit of sympathy for the Confederacy - Reconstruction and the devastation of the South was just wrong. They were treated like a vanquished country instead of our fellow Americans.

However, the other side of me says screw 'em - they brought it on themselves.

I think Southerners and wannabes display the Rebel flag because they think it's cool, not because they're trying to make a political statement. Sort of like those Che Guevera t-shirts the kids wear - no idea what it really means, they just think it looks cool. If you questioned them about it - "So what part of the former Confederacy are you supporting? Slave ownership? State's Rights? Hoopskirts?" you'd just get a blank stare.