tobacco buy out?

sunny

I over heard a farmer in the local market talking about her receiving $4,400. a month, 12 months a year for the next ten years NOT to grow tobacco. The State is paying her, which means we are probably paying her with our taxes, does anyone have any info on what this buy-out is?

sunny

thanks Skyprincess for the article.
Cariblue I am not sure if farmers can grow other crops or not, but either way it seems like if farmers wanted to, they could just sit back and not grow anything and still get the cash, but most farmers I know are hard workers and probably can't just sit back and not work their land, does anyone know more details? and if you have never grown tobacco, could you tell-(threaten)the state pay me too or I will grow tobacco?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Time was, a Southern Maryland farmer could earn more money from tobacco (a deadly crop) than growing wheat or vegetables. Truly ironic. So I can see why the state wants to use the settlement money to help end tobacco farming in Maryland.

But what happens when the buyout period ends in 10 years? I think it will only mean more farmland sold for development. Family farms aren't doing well to begin with. I think it's outrageous that small farmers in Southern Mayrland and elsewhere have to sell their land simply to have money for retirement. Of course, part of the problem is that few of their sons and daughters have no interest in farming. Given the struggle their parents face to earn a living, who could blame them?

I remember reading that milk producers are getting less money per gallon every year, even though the cost of milk keeps rising. To me, that means a lot of the money is going to the middlemen.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I don't know what the article links read, but farmers are getting paid not to grow tobacco. It is a 10-year plan that pays them something like the average of what they made 10 years ago or over the last 10 years. They can't even touch a leaf of tobacco on any farm, and can't even let other tobacco growers use their barns or equipment. And as far as I know, they are able to grow grain and other crops. Now if the State would just realize to do a buyout with watermen and give the crabs a chance to catch up, then they'd be doing something. We all know Maryland farmers not growing tobacco isn't going to stop people from smoking.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yep,

In Maryland tobacco is becoming taboo, but what about the Carolinas, Virginia, and the other growing states. Growing strong now that there is less competition in this market. Way to go Glendening. Now the farmers not growing tobacco can get a permit from our Governor and grow hemp. They can pocket the $1.00 per pound they used to grow from the state and grow whatever they want, except tobacco.

Tipsy,

Any buy out or moratorium on crabs in Maryland makes the Virginia watermen happy. Get them to quit raping the Bay and we might get some crabs and fish up here.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Absolutely true, Ken. Efforts to save crabs and anything in the Bay are useless until Maryland and Virginia get together and set up one set of rules to govern the Bay and the Potomac. Virginia watermen can keep smaller crabs and smaller oysters while Maryland's sizes keep going up. It seems like they would at least try a restriction on female crabs for a couple years and see what that does. I watch these watermen late in the summer when the females are plentiful catching tons of them a day, and with the market so full they get about $5 a bushel, sometimes less.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
My husbend the farmer(and no he dosn't grow tabacco) says that they have to grow other crops. They can't just sit around and spend there money. And the money isn't coming from our taxes, unless you smoke. The money is coming from the high smoking tax. I wish someone would pay me big bucks not to grow something.:D

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
He grows corn, soybeans, and wheat. Him and his dad have a 100 acre farm up in Upper Marlboro in PG County. And the rest they rent from people and the gov't. They farm about 1300 acres.

SxyPrincess

Missi,

True but do you understand how tiresome it is waking up in the middle of the nite to your "pager" going off? And you know it ain't nothing but some lil ol chicken head wanting a dub. :lol:

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
:lmao: No sexy I don't know. But I'm sure it's hard work! I think it's worth $4400 a month. What do you think?