Question on "No Call" List

blacklabman

A while back, a law was passed that if a person wanted to be on the "no call" list, they submitted an input doing same. I did so. I recall that charitable, and only charitable, organizations were exempt from "no call". Can someone please amplify on this and other restrictions.

The reason I am asking is last month I received a solicitation from Maryland Troopers Association (MTA). I asked the caller if MTA was charitable and got a positive response. When the pledge return card came in the mail, it clearly stated that MTA is NOT a charitable organization. Being a man of my word I submitted my pledge (only $15).

UpChuckMan

Upper Charles County :-)
http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall

From "Facts for Consumers":

Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors are still be permitted.

Organizations with which you have an established business relationship can call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase, payment, or delivery — even if your number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. And companies to which you've made an inquiry or submitted an application can call you for three months. Therefore, carefully read any questionnaires or surveys you submit; they may be an attempt to establish a business relationship. Also be careful to read anything you sign, such as sweepstakes forms or requests for "free" products; they may be attempts to get your written permission.

If you place your number on the national registry, you still can give written permission for particular companies to call you. Alternately, if you have an established business relationship, you still can ask the company not to call you. The company must honor your request, regardless of any prior written permission. And if you don't put your number on the national registry, you still can prohibit individual telemarketers from calling, by asking each to put you on their company's do not call list.

One more important point: Although callers soliciting charitable contributions do not have to search the national registry, a for-profit telemarketer calling on behalf of a charitable organization must honor your request not to receive calls on behalf of that charity.

willie

MTA was the worst for me. I have heard or read that very little money is left, after overhead, for the actual MTA.

MMDad

Lem Putt
blacklabman said:
A while back, a law was passed that if a person wanted to be on the "no call" list, they submitted an input doing same. I did so. I recall that charitable, and only charitable, organizations were exempt from "no call". Can someone please amplify on this and other restrictions.

The reason I am asking is last month I received a solicitation from Maryland Troopers Association (MTA). I asked the caller if MTA was charitable and got a positive response. When the pledge return card came in the mail, it clearly stated that MTA is NOT a charitable organization. Being a man of my word I submitted my pledge (only $15).

Sucker! Why would you donate to a bogus charity? "Being a man of my word I submitted my pledge." You knew they were bogus, and donated why? If they lie to you, then you contribute, you are now part of the scam. Idiot.

willie

MMDad said:
Sucker! Why would you donate to a bogus charity? "Being a man of my word I submitted my pledge." You knew they were bogus, and donated why? If they lie to you, then you contribute, you are now part of the scam. Idiot.
Why are you so angry?

onebdzee

off the shelf
From my understanding(and please correct me if I am wrong), if people call you and you tell them that you don't want whatever it is that they are selling, giving away, trying to refinance, etc. and to take your name and number off their list....They can not call you back....and if they do call you again you can actually sue them for harassment

blacklabman

To UpChuckMan: Thank you for your informative answer. I will use in the future.

To MMDad: Is your only means of "intelligent" response a personal attack? I hope you don't deal with everyne in that fashion.