pH Levels

SunDog

I was reading online and i found a chart that tells you to put a small amount of salt and it gives the amont per gallon tank. it says to do it to help bring the pH to 7 which is good for what i have Neon tetras. Is this true? and also if it is will the small amont of salt hurt my snails?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SunDog said:
I was reading online and i found a chart that tells you to put a small amount of salt and it gives the amont per gallon tank. it says to do it to help bring the pH to 7 which is good for what i have Neon tetras. Is this true? and also if it is will the small amont of salt hurt my snails?
Careful on the type of salt, it is NOT the same kind of salt you put in a saltwater tank(nor is it table salt).. Aquarium salt is what you are looking for, in the 29 gallon tank it takes about 2/3 cup of aquarium salt. You'll notice a BIG difference in color of your fish.. I have a barb that is green with a red mouth and bottom.. couldn't really see the red marks until I treated the tank now it looks like he's lit up. My blue cichlids are bluer and brighter as are the orange ones.. and it SEEMS to keep the water clearer.

I've also treated tanks with the aquarium salt prior to medicating for assorted reasons.

To keep my old tanks at 7.0 I used crushed coral instead of rocks on the bottom of my tank, with an undergravel filter. Never had to adjust my PH again. My new tanks are Cichlids, so 7.0 doesn't do me any good.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
and checked the box RE snails.. nothing on the box about it. (I've never had snails so can't speak from experience on that one)

and it calls for one rounded tablespoon for every five gallons

Mikeinsmd

SunDog said:
Thank you. I thought i made a mistake by asking my question on here and seeing the dumb answer i got.. its good to know some people on here know what they are talking about
Here $$

Go buy yourself a personality and a sense of humor!! :smack:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
SunDog said:
For those of you that have nothing better to do then give karma... This is my real Id... I dont give a darn about the karma... I just dont want you "over thinkers" to think i am someone else then you will feel stupid when you find out i am not that person... Ive known about the forums for a long time but never found to much interest in it... but i know there are like two or three people that actually know what they are talking about on here that is why i started posting again... besides that it is a good time killer
I can't speak for anyone else, but I won't feel stupid when I find out you're not who I think you are. And I'm sorry you don't like recipes. :shrug:

PrepH4U

SunDog said:
Thank you. I thought i made a mistake by asking my question on here and seeing the dumb answer i got.. its good to know some people on here know what they are talking about
OMG why the attitude? :shrug: People goof around on here and give silly answers, and if you have read the forums so much before you would have known that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The salt IS NaCl Sodium Chloride (table salt) but the Aquarium salt doesn't have Iodine, and another additive in it, it's just pure NaCl.. and table salt does Melt snails, diluted in a figh tank? Who knows..

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
The salt IS NaCl Sodium Chloride (table salt) but the Aquarium salt doesn't have Iodine, and another additive in it, it's just pure NaCl.. and table salt does Melt snails, diluted in a figh tank? Who knows..
You're the nicest one here. :huggy: