This crap should be against the law

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got a check in the mail today from YP.com for $3.25. We have several affiliates listed on Somd.com, so it's not unusual for us to receive a low amount check from a company I don't recognize.

As I flip the check over to stamp it, I notice the following:

"Please list my company's information as shown in this check on the YP.com Internet website. I am over 18 and authorized to place this advertisement by depositing this check into my business account, and by doing so I agree to pay $27.50 per month for this advertisement."

What the hell is THAT all about??? So you can just send people a check that, if they erroneously deposit it, obligates you to purchase their bogus service??? What kind of scam is that and why is that not illegal???

We get clients whose domains we manage calling all the time because they received an "urgent notification" from Domain Registry of America that their domain is getting ready to expire and they must send a check or pay online with a credit card immediately or they'll lose their domain name. Some are sharp enough to call me and verify this, but others go ahead and pay the "invoice", which then transfers their domain name to this bogus registry service and it becomes a nightmare getting it back.

These types of misleading sales tactics should be illegal and I'd love to know why the DOJ hasn't done something about this. I wonder what it would take to file a class-action lawsuit against these people and get them shut down.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I've seen the same from insurance companies and phone carriers. By cashing the checks, you agree to whatever terms they have. Usually service for a year or something.

Steve

Enjoying life!
vraiblonde said:
These types of misleading sales tactics should be illegal and I'd love to know why the DOJ hasn't done something about this. I wonder what it would take to file a class-action lawsuit against these people and get them shut down.
I think as long as they contain the fine print, they are legal. There is no "standard format" that offers for service must conform with. Depositing the check implies that you read everything on it. What would be illegal is if they never listed your site on YP.com after you've paid for the service. That would be fraud.

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
These types of misleading sales tactics should be illegal and I'd love to know why the DOJ hasn't done something about this.

Too busy worrying about the gluten content in McDonalds' French Fries.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:
I've seen the same from insurance companies and phone carriers. By cashing the checks, you agree to whatever terms they have. Usually service for a year or something.
:yeahthat: and I got one from YP, too.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
To heck with the gluten. I want to know how they got dairy products in them.
I remember hearing about that on a cooking show back in the 70's.. How to make crispy fries.. ONE of the suggestions, soak your potatos in milk..

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I got a few of these w/ one of my credit cards (Master Card). Send you like a $5 check and when you cash or deposit it it automatically enrolls you in one of their "personal protection" services to the tune of like $10 a month. Ha! :lmao: I was really suprized that a MC was pulling such crapola. I cut that card up after getting a few of them along with the phone solicitations for the same crap.

S

Scaratica

Why is there a "Do Not Mail Me" list simulaqr to the national do not call registry?
vraiblonde said:
I got a check in the mail today from YP.com for $3.25. We have several affiliates listed on Somd.com, so it's not unusual for us to receive a low amount check from a company I don't recognize.

As I flip the check over to stamp it, I notice the following:

"Please list my company's information as shown in this check on the YP.com Internet website. I am over 18 and authorized to place this advertisement by depositing this check into my business account, and by doing so I agree to pay $27.50 per month for this advertisement."

What the hell is THAT all about??? So you can just send people a check that, if they erroneously deposit it, obligates you to purchase their bogus service??? What kind of scam is that and why is that not illegal???

We get clients whose domains we manage calling all the time because they received an "urgent notification" from Domain Registry of America that their domain is getting ready to expire and they must send a check or pay online with a credit card immediately or they'll lose their domain name. Some are sharp enough to call me and verify this, but others go ahead and pay the "invoice", which then transfers their domain name to this bogus registry service and it becomes a nightmare getting it back.