Store Flier Describes T-Shirts As 'Wife-Beaters'

rack'm

Jaded
Toxick said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I've been calling those kinds of t-shirts "wife-beaters" since about 1992 - and I heard it from other people.

Me too, that's what made the story so funny to me. :lol:

Ponytail

"3 White Wife Beaters" :roflmao:

Attachments

• 3 white wife beaters.jpg
    3 white wife beaters.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 187

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We called them "wife-beaters" in high school. These folks are really on top of things, aren't they? :rolleyes:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Read the survey. 81% of the respondents call them wife beaters, even if they do not admit it. I ain't skeered, I was wearin' ma wife beater tonight. :buddies: :cheers: :alkies:

sinwagon

I sleep in a wife beater everynight lol. Who cares, I am not offended by this. I guess we should be affended by the penny loafer too because that may make people feel that they paid a penny for their shoes. Or peddal pushers because that may elude that people who wear them tend to speed!

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I love my wife beaters! Sooo comfortable! I wonder if anyone was actually offended by that flyer??? :shrug: I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Doesn't the description "wife beater" come from the movie "Streetcar Named Desire"? I always throught it was in reference to Marlon Brando's character - Stanley Kowalski. The movie came out in 1951.

I could very well be wrong, though. :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
itsbob said:
Doesn't the description "wife beater" come from the movie "Streetcar Named Desire"? I always throught it was in reference to Marlon Brando's character - Stanley Kowalski. The movie came out in 1951.
Stanley wears a white T-shirt. :drool::hot:

Use of the term wifebeater to describe an article of clothing (as opposed to its literal use) is relatively new, perhaps originating as early as the 1970s.
Interestingly enough...
In Great Britain, the term is used as slang for the Belgian beer Stella Artois. A possible origin is the famous scene in the movie A Streetcar Named Desire, where Marlon Brando's character yells "Stella!", the name of his wife, as he begs her to return after violently beating her. In British culture, Stella Artois is associated with a drinking culture in which domestic abuse may follow a bout of drinking at the local pub.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wifebeater_(shirt)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
... and I love the store.. I used to go to Building 19 and an 1/8th, and Building 19 and 1/2 , DIFFERENT kind of store, you never knew what they were going to have in stock, so every trip was a different experience.