Media Hypocrisy...

FromTexas

This Space for Rent

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What are you all worked up...

includes human skeletons, animals preserved in formaldehyde and skinned lambs, propped up as if praying or splayed upon crucifixes. One work shows a lamb kneeling inside a crystal container, looking as if it is carrying a white-covered Bible and red rosary between its legs.

...about?

Jeez. At least they're not drawing cartoons or selling t shirts.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
FromTexas said:
Maybe its because Christians either protest peacefully over works like these (although this is far from the worst-- not like the feces Jesus or others) or turn the other cheek. Don't forget that having fundamentalist Christians is just as bad as fundie Muslims according to many libbies... :rolleyes:
I think the peaceful protests are due to the Western principles of freedom and speech and freedom of religion, not due to the virtues of any one religion. Hundreds of years ago, Christianity used murder and torture to silence heretics, such as during the Spanish Inquisition. But Western culture have become much more mature since then. Westerners know that their many faiths are strong enough to withstand some childish artist playing in his own pooh. That artist is just desperately trying to get attention, in my view.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We still do!

Tonio said:
I think the peaceful protests are due to the Western principles of freedom and speech and freedom of religion, not due to the virtues of any one religion. Hundreds of years ago, Christianity used murder and torture to silence heretics, such as during the Spanish Inquisition. But Western culture have become much more mature since then. Westerners know that their many faiths are strong enough to withstand some childish artist playing in his own pooh. That artist is just desperately trying to get attention, in my view.

Iraq, Abu Garaib!

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Tonio said:

That is such a red herring. Hundreds of years ago everybody was using torture and murder. Heck, people were being sentenced to death by the horse of an emperor before that. In fact, hundreds of years ago you could be executed by the King for not paying your taxes. It had little do with Christianity and more to do with the times.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
FromTexas said:
Hundreds of years ago everybody was using torture and murder. Heck, people were being sentenced to death by the horse of an emperor before that. In fact, hundreds of years ago you could be executed by the King for not paying your taxes. It had little do with Christianity and more to do with the times.
You're right. That was part of my point. During those times, people used both Christianity and Islam (and most other religions) to justify torture and murder. That to me feels worse than torture and murder done with the open goal of maintaining power. At least a secular tyrant makes no excuses for his lust for power.

I'm saying that Arab culture is still stuck in that brutal era, while European culture went through the Enlightenment and is the richer for it. The fact that most Arabs are Muslims and most Europeans are Christians had little to do with it. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion aren't exclusive to any one religion.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Tonio said:
You're right. That was part of my point. During those times, people used both Christianity and Islam (and most other religions) to justify torture and murder. That to me feels worse than torture and murder done with the open goal of maintaining power. At least a secular tyrant makes no excuses for his lust for power.

I'm saying that Arab culture is still stuck in that brutal era, while European culture went through the Enlightenment and is the richer for it. The fact that most Arabs are Muslims and most Europeans are Christians had little to do with it. Freedom of speech and freedom of religion aren't exclusive to any one religion.

But that is just it. There were non-religious tyrants during those times, as well. It was common practice. They didn't know any other way.

The misnomer that comes from all this is that people treat it as if Christianity caused those problems then; that Christianity was part of the problem. If they didn't have Christianity defining the reason to steal land, riches, or otherwise, then they would have used another reason.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Real Christians in any age are followers of Jesus. He taught His followers to do unto others at you would have them do unto you, love your enemies, provide for the poor, help your neighbor, go the extra mile, turn the other cheek.

The broad stroke of labeling is taking place here. There have been many, many people who were called Christians or even called themselves Christians that were not followers of Jesus. You will know them by their works (actions). Does a person claim to be a follower of Jesus and do or at least make an earnest effort to follows Jesus' instructions, or does a person claim to be a follower of Jesus but pursue self indulgence and self interest to the detriment of others? One is a Christian; the other is not.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
FromTexas said:
The misnomer that comes from all this is that people treat it as if Christianity caused those problems then; that Christianity was part of the problem.
True. I was saying that no religion can claim to have a spotless record of behavior by its adherents, even though the belief system itself isn't to blame. It's some of the people who follow (or claim to follow) the religion who cause the problems, not the religion itself.

I think it's important that Muslims in places like America and Denmark have NOT been rioting and murdering over the cartoon. While in Nigeria, Christians and Muslims have been going back and forth with riots and counter-riots, as if the country is Ulster South.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Islam is the bully of the world. Remember in middle school? There was always some kid who got mercilessly picked on because he wouldn't fight back - he was an easy target and you could get away with it. But the school bully could do pretty much whatever he wanted and nobody dared say anything to him.

Muslims riot in the streets over a cartoon because they can. Nobody will stop them or even criticize them because we're afraid of being called "bigots" and "racists", not to mention those suicide bombs. And they have all the weenie kids laying in wait for an opportunity to curry favor with the bully they fear, should anyone dare stand up to him.

Christians are the kid who won't fight back. And the world is so used to their passivity that, should they speak out, they would be set upon by all the aforementioned weenie kids who've aligned themselves with the bully.