Refund Checks

duzzey1a

Is there any place around that will cash a federal refund check? I'm not sure if the local banks will do so for a fee.

Tina2001aniT

duzzey1a said:
Is there any place around that will cash a federal refund check? I'm not sure if the local banks will do so for a fee.
Where are you?
There is a liquor store in Prince Frederick that will do it, as well as at least one in Waldorf....

BabyGurl1978

Gone Crazy
Jameo said:
Won't YOUR bank cash it for free?

:yeahthat: Your bank should cash that for you with no fee at all. Where as if you take it to a liquor store they are going to charge you a dollar or something ever hundred; I believe that is right.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
duzzey1a said:
Take it to the same bank that cashes your paychecks.

BOHDEN

duzzey1a said:
I work for the bank that cashed the state checks not sure about if we do the federal checks. I am off from work today, if you would like you can email me at work tomorrow, I will see what I can find out for you! cherbert@mandtbank.com

BOHDEN

sorry i check, the only ones that im aware of that can cash these checks are your own personal bank or one of the check cashing places.
i know the liquor store in waldorf on the corner of leonardtown rd and 925 will do it for a fee. not sure of what the fee is... now i know safeway will cash pay checks not sure if they will do tax checks.

BOHDEN

sorry i checked, the only ones that im aware of that can cash these checks are your own personal bank or one of the check cashing places.
i know the liquor store in waldorf on the corner of leonardtown rd and 925 will do it for a fee. not sure of what the fee is... now i know safeway will cash pay checks not sure if they will do tax checks.

K

Kain99

How come you don't have a bank account? Not being judgemental... just curious.

mrweb

Iron City
duzzey1a said:
Humm, apparently you work somewhere and get paid. Where do you go to get the money from your paycheck? There are these places called banks, that keep your money, albeit not necessarily for free, but safe and available. I am sure if you developed a relationship (open an account) with one, they could accept your deposit of a refund check and do so for FREE!

slotted

mrweb said:
Humm, apparently you work somewhere and get paid. Where do you go to get the money from your paycheck? There are these places called banks, that keep your money, albeit not necessarily for free, but safe and available. I am sure if you developed a relationship (open an account) with one, they could accept your deposit of a refund check and do so for FREE!
Great advice. That's where I go to hide my money I'm making off of per diem. :yay:

slotted

MMDad said:
I usually end up in the hole with per diem. They don't supply me enough to party on. Overtime usually more than makes up for what I lose in per diem.

Mr. Web, maybe you could put in a recommendation to double the per diem rates in most places?

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
I remember when I was in this situation back in 1990. I had opened a new checking account after not having one for like a year in December or January. When I did my taxes in like the first week of February I got rapid refund (I was so frivolous back then) and 0.0I got about $1500 back Federal and deposited the check in my account.

The money was not available for about 5 days (the longest days ever). They said it was because my account was too new and it had to clear with the government first. I don't know if this is still the case. Either way if you don't need it too soon then I would say open an account and deposit it.

If this is not an option, if you trust someone, sign it over and deposit it in their account and let them withdraw your cash for you on the following day or whenever it clears. Other wise you will be giving up a chunk of your money to cash it at a store.

Last edited: