GOOD places to eat!??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
New here.. tell me the GOOD places to go to get something to eat.. and I don't mean McD's or Wendy's.... tried a Chinese place in Leanardtown last night.. the Hot and Sour soup was good.. the rest.. not so much.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Try Solomons Island - I like a lot of places there. Solomons Pier, Captain's Table, Naughty Gull (least favorite of the places over there), and the Wharf are all good. The Lighthouse Inn is good, but it's more of a fancy place with higher prices.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Solomons: Dry Dock, DiGiovanni's, CD Cafe
Leonardtown: Nook & Monks & Cafe Des Artistes
Ridge: Spinnakers
St. Mary's City: Brome Howard Inn
Prince Frederick: Old Field Inn

SmallTown

Football season!
I love Asahi. Monterey is good as long as you don't get upset that the waiters actually speak spanish :rolleyes:

Three Brothers wasn't bad, but not what we had hoped for.

We have been to the Lighthouse several times on solomons, and it is hit and miss. Seems the food and service are either REALLY good, or really bad. Nothing in the middle. Luckily it has only been bad once, but boy was it bad...

pilot

My all time favorite is the Brome-Howard. Can't say enough good things about it. Dry Dock is a close second.

Other good ones are DiGiovanni's, CD's Cafe, Old Field Inn, Spinnakers, Willows, and Courtney's (the latter, while rustic, being the best place for getting fresh fish, IMHO).

This does not include ethnic places, and there are some good ones. :smile:

pilot

Originally posted by Taz
Pilot,
Where is Courtney's?

Taz:

Take Rt. 5 south all the way to Ridge. Turn right on Wynn Road (there's a sign, but watch closely, or you'll miss it). Go all the way to the end.

Just don't confuse it with Scheibles, which is right next door.

The owner catches the fish himself--can't be beat! It's definitely worth the drive.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Forget to mention Oakwood Lodge in Piney Point. The black diamond steak is delicious!

We also go to Clarke's Landing in Hollywood a lot.

Originally posted by pilot
Taz:

Take Rt. 5 south all the way to Ridge. Turn right on Wynn Road (there's a sign, but watch closely, or you'll miss it). Go all the way to the end.

Just don't confuse it with Scheibles, which is right next door.

The owner catches the fish himself--can't be beat! It's definitely worth the drive.

I read in the Southern Maryland Extra yesterday that when one of the astronauts (who was on the Columbia) was stationed at Pax, his second home was Courtneys.

I don't have a comment about the place one way or another but thought I would share that tidbit.

pilot

Yardsalequeen:

Thanks for the tip-off. It was an interesting article. Apparently, his picture was hanging in Courtney's restaurant even before the tragedy. I sent a copy of the article to my parents who are big fans of Courtney's and always want me to take them there when they come to visit.

BTW, if you really want to go to an astronaut/test pilot hangout, try the Roost.

I guess lots of restaurants around here feature pictures of astronauts. :smile:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thanks to one and all that replied.. now have to make a list and start working my way down the list.. now how about someone to show me all these places? Can't drink or eat alone, that's just WEIRD!!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by itsbob
Thanks to one and all that replied.. now have to make a list and start working my way down the list.. now how about someone to show me all these places? Can't drink or eat alone, that's just WEIRD!!
I go out by myself all the time - that is not weird - that's self confidence. Besides, that is the best way to meet other people, and find out about even more places to go out to.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by cariblue
I envy you. I get all creeped out when I go out alone. I always hate when speedo is away on business, because I'm stuck in the house.

I've tried. I can't like it.
Well let me know cari and I'll watch your back for ya. I only have been weirded out once in southern md - and that was in Cadillac Jacks. The one night I went I was the only female in there with her teeth! So I had one drink - chatted with the bartender and the bouncer who came over to watch my back and they both recommended some other places to go!:biggrin: In general, no problems around here and plenty of interesting people! I have tons of stories about some of the people I have met by going out by myself, I am less intimidating that way! :roflmao::wink:

pilot

A lot of restaurants here have bars/atmospheres where I would feel perfectly comfortable going alone. But, of course, that's a different question from which ones simply have good food. Fortunately, there is an overlap. :smile:

BTW, I got the impression reading the WP article about Brown that he used to go alone to Courtney's, and that's how he got to be friends with the family and know some locals.

H

Heretic

I go out myself too. I've pretty much always done things by myself since I was an only child and had no other kids my age to play with where I lived. One of my friends who was pretty much in the same situation as a kid thinks its odd, she just can't go out to eat or the movies by herself.

Sometimes I do feel like people are looking at me cause Im by myself but then I remember that most people ignore me anyway so I get over it LOL