BofA -- Keep the Change

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I just signed up b/c I use my debit card for everything and write no more than probably 10 checks a year, so I figure it's an easy, effort-less way to sock some extra change away that I won't really miss.

Anyone else doing it?

BOHDEN

crabcake said:
I just signed up b/c I use my debit card for everything and write no more than probably 10 checks a year, so I figure it's an easy, effort-less way to sock some extra change away that I won't really miss.

Anyone else doing it?
well I work for the competition and we dont offer it as of yet but im sure its working its way down the line

mainman

Set Trippin
crabcake said:

Anyone else doing it?
I have been thinking about doing that too.....

I almost never write checks either....

morganj614

I'm not with BofA but I've been rounding up for about 4 years now and I put the extra in my savings myself. You'd be surprised how much you can save.

crabcake

Chasey_Lane said:
What's it about, Crabby? I'm already w/BOA, but don't particularly care for them much. :ohwell:
Basically, whenever you use your debit card, they round it up to the next dollar and put that change into your savings account. In reality (for me at least) I don't miss the 30 cents here and 80 cents there, but I'll be anxious to see it add up. :yay:

Extra Extra read all about it.

crabcake

I forgot to mention, they're doing something right now where they match your 'contributions' dollar-for-dollar for the first 3 months, and then at some other rate after that. :yay:

I was recently toying with leaving BofA after 10 years as a customer b/c a competing bank had a nifty rewards plan and offers more "local" service, but I'm gonna stick with BofA for the immediate future.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm with Bank of 'Merica, cause I'm 'Merican.. And yes I lOVE this bank.. I do everything online, open accounts, transfer funds, pay bills.. AND I signed up for the keep the change account.. but read the fine print.. you must have $300 in it within 90 days. My bills all go to the bank who in turn sends me an e-mail saying who, what and how much..

I've got all my recurring bills set up for auto pay every other payday (I sneak in two extra car payment a year)...

They've never done anything wrong as far as I am concerned,, at least nothing I didn't bring onto myself.

Pandora

Oooowww Owwww (in my best Arnold Horseshack voice)

Question?

How much does your bank charge you to use your ATM card as a debit?

I am with the credit union and pay a fee for this each time I use it, 50 cents I believe, which is rather good compared to other banks.

If you use your ATM card as a credit, it cost you nothing.

Soooooo, if your bank is charging you to use your debit card and telling you to keep the change, they make out in the long run.

I just don't buy that entire "keep the change pitch" because you never get something for free.

Comments. :snacks:

crabcake

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Pandora said:
I've never been charged a fee for using my bank (Visa) debit card. I hardly carry cash with me, so I'm always swiping the thing. I write about 10 checks per month, and those are for bills.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
:confused: I missed that; can you elaborate? Or what? :shrug:
It's a basic savings account with a minimum $300 limit or you get to pay extra fees every month, the only good thing is they give you 3 months to come up with the $300

As far as the ATM fee, using the card as a debit card.. where you lose money is, for example.. you use your card as a debit card at Wal Mart they can and will charge you.. somewhere between 1 and 2 dollars, then your bank can charge you foreign ATM fees.. this is why when you use your card at Wal Mart it defaults to a debit transaction and you have to "cancel' or do something to make it a credit transaction, they hope you'll just click OK and they pocket your money.

I NEVER pick debit, and Wal Mart actually loses money, one they don't get to charge me for a debit transaction, and then they have to pay the card company a transaction fee..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pandora said:
Oooowww Owwww (in my best Arnold Horseshack voice)

Question?

I am with the credit union and pay a fee for this each time I use it, 50 cents I believe, which is rather good compared to other banks.

If you use your ATM card as a credit, it cost you nothing.

Soooooo, if your bank is charging you to use your debit card and telling you to keep the change, they make out in the long run.

I just don't buy that entire "keep the change pitch" because you never get something for free.

Comments. :snacks:
Keep the change doesn't apply to debit transactions, it applies to ALL card transactions..

I use e-bills to pay my car payment, credit cards, cable etc.. rounds up the nearest dollar, and that goes to my savings account,, I use the card for a credit purchase at Petco, same thing.. ALL transactions get rounded to the nearest dollar, and the difference is sent to my savings.

mainman

Set Trippin
itsbob said:
Keep the change doesn't apply to debit transactions, it applies to ALL card transactions..

I use e-bills to pay my car payment, credit cards, cable etc.. rounds up the nearest dollar, and that goes to my savings account,, I use the card for a credit purchase at Petco, same thing.. ALL transactions get rounded to the nearest dollar, and the difference is sent to my savings.
But with just change you have 90 days to accumulate $300 by rounding up. That is a stretch, don't ya think?