I can't figure out why people like Hillary

H

Heretic

I can't for the life of me figure out why people like Hillary Clinton, now she has a couple years experience as a US Senator but before that the only thing even remotely related to experience was being married to Bill. Im sorry but that is not a qualification...would you want a doctor whose qualifications were only "married to a doctor".

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Heretic
I can't for the life of me figure out why people like Hillary Clinton, now she has a couple years experience as a US Senator but before that the only thing even remotely related to experience was being married to Bill. Im sorry but that is not a qualification...would you want a doctor whose qualifications were only "married to a doctor".
:rolleyes: Well, you explained part of it: the popularity derived from her husbands' two term presidency, remember the lying years?

But more than that, I think people who voted for her figured out she was the actual "brains" of the family, and might bring something new to the Senate.

Thirdly, it is said she did a really good job pandering for votes. Namely the Jewish vote. It's amazing when you consider the percentage of that vote she recieved over her Republican competitor. I can't recall the ratio between them, but I remember hearing the news-talk shows saying it was outrageously one-sided in her favor.

There was an issue with Jewish captives, that she applied pressure for, in favor of their release. Struck a big chord with the Jewish populace in NY.

Hey, her husband fooled 'em, why couldn't she!??

penn

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Hillary is incredibly self-obsessed, like Donald Trump or Barbra Striesand or Oprah Winfrey. In her mind, it's all about Hillary.

Also, remember her stupid comment during the 1992 election about staying home and baking cookies? For the last 15 years or so, activists claiming to represent working moms and activists claiming to represent stay-at-home moms have been in open warfare with one another. Each side accuses the other of being bad parents, and them's fightin' words. And Hillary jumped right into that quagmire.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People DO NOT like Hillary Clinton. Had Rudy Guiliani not bailed, he'd have waxed her a$$ in the election. As it stands, she beat Lazio with 55% of the vote - with her name recognition and his late start, she should have KILLED him.

If you ask some people, they will say she's "smart" and "a lovely woman" and "brave" and "yadda yadda" But those people are not to be taken seriously - normal, rational people think "Hillary Clinton" is the punchline of a joke.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
And, in another four or so years......

Originally posted by Tonio
Hillary is incredibly self-obsessed, like Donald Trump or Barbra Striesand or Oprah Winfrey. In her mind, it's all about Hillary.
:rolleyes: You know these are Hillarys' learning years , so I'll lay odds you're going to see her run for president in 2008!

No doubt, she assumes by then all the lies and deceit she showed us will have died down People, especially in politics, will have their minders playing down those gaffs, pooh-poohing them come the latter half of 2006.

Bank on this: she will attempt some courageous crusade for the poor, or healthcare, maybe welfare or working moms that she will use to gain the public spotlight in hopes that it will propel her towards the Oval Office.

:boo: penn

H

Heretic

Well going from my experience with New Yorkers (X-GF was from long Island) is that the Jews and the Itallians absolutely hate each other. Lazio sure sounds like an Itallian name to me. I've never seen such as place so filled with hate as Long Island.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
As it stands, she beat Lazio with 55% of the vote - with her name recognition and his late start, she should have KILLED him.

A lot of republicans were thinking the same thing after the 2000 election. In their eyes, it should not have even been close.

demsformd

It was a landslide victory for Hilary in 2000 - it was 55% to 42%. That is pretty amazing considering the fact that she isn't even from New York nor did she live there for a substantial amount of time. Remember when Gulliani was taking the first lady on, he was not the most popular character. His approval ratings in the city were low and he was in the middle of a very public divorce. Right before his withdrawal, Hilary was leading by 5 points in most of the major polls. Had Gulliani continued in that race, he would not have a chance of winning statewide.

Granted, Lazio does deserve a good part of the blame for his lose. Instead of focusing on the issues, he decided that the only issue that affected the race was that he was from New York and she was a carpetbagger. You know, that only gets one so much in an election. That needed to be used as a secondary issue rather than a major one. Lazio also faced defections from the right due to his pro-choice voting record. Hilary, however, focused on the Senate race since 1998 and she traveled to each part of the state. She carried metro New York through her super-majorities with blacks, Jews, and other minorities. She also carried a substantial part of the upstate white vote. (You see even though conservatives hate her "extremism," Hilary is able to carry moderate voters. ) You know as long as the conservatives continue to believe that Hilary is not a credible politician and that she is not liked by anyone, she will only continue to get more liked.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Waiting.......

Originally posted by bluto
Are you saying there is a relationship between these two assertions? Could you explain it? As a political novice, I do not understand...
:biggrin: I wanna see the answer to this one.........

:rolleyes: penn

demsformd

I was referring to the underestimation of one's political foe. Whenever an opponent is underestimated, you might as well concede an election to them. Republicans cannot just ignore people like Hilary...they have to address them in order to defeat them. Lazio did not address Clinton's positions, instead he thought that personal attacks and the fact that she was not a native New Yorker was enough to beat her. He was definitely wrong and the election results show that. Yes Hilary is the punchlines of some great jokes and she has a questionable past, but that does not change the fact that she is a shrewd politican that has a good political profile for a generally liberal New York electorate. Once conservatives and Clinton-haters decide to take offense to their positions and not merely their personal history, you will have a much higher chance of beating them. Until then, they will just keep on winning.

demsformd

On a different note, this is why I like Hilary. Well first of all, she's a Democrat and she is typically moderate to liberal. Moreso than her husband but less than Kerry. I like her personally because she had to overcome much adversity in her life and she was unjustly attacked too often by ultraconservative moralists. I mean Dan Quayle decided to compare her to Murphy Brown and to condemn the fact that she worked outside of her house. Oh, I didn't know that that was such a crime in this free nation where ALL people regardless of gender are supposedly equal. It is jsut absolutely unfair some of things that conservatives have said about Hilary. My bleeding heart just goes out to this woman that the right wing demonized for marrying Clinton and also for staying with him. I think that conservatives should be ashamed for the character assassination that they put Mrs. Clinton through because hell, we could have done it to Newt and Hutchinson and Hyde.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Hillary unfairly criticized.....

:roflmao: Yeah...poor Hillary! :roflmao:

:rolleyes: Thinking back to the time when the Rose Law Firm billing records for Hillary miraculously showed up on a table in the White House Library; That still cracks me up, recalling the excitement the discovery caused.

Nobody's figured out to this day how they suddenly appeared there, have they?

:smile: penn

H

Heretic

Hillary is so abrasive she brought everything said about her upon herself.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by demsformd
... I think that conservatives should be ashamed for the character assassination that they put Mrs. Clinton through because hell, we could have done it to Newt and Hutchinson and Hyde.
What'd ya mean... "could have" ?

:rolleyes:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I could be wrong, but....

Originally posted by Kyle
What'd ya mean... "could have" ?

:rolleyes:

:razz2: That might have been a little tongue-in-cheek humor.

Like the Dems didn't stoop to character assassination in securing the ouster of Newt?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :bs: Tell me more lies.

Yessir, may I have another?

penn

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by demsformd
I think that conservatives should be ashamed for the character assassination that they put Mrs. Clinton through because hell, we could have done it to Newt and Hutchinson and Hyde.
Not to mention Clarence Thomas, Ken Starr, Paula, Monica, Linda and the rest of them. Yeah, you Democrats are real paragons of virtue. :duh:

My personal favorite liberal character assassination:

During Iran-Contra, the liberal media consistently lumped Fawn Hall in with the "bimbo brigade" of Donna Rice and Jessica Hahn. Never mind that Hall's claim to fame had nothing to do with sex - she was an attractive female and working for Republicans. That was apparently enough to make her a "bimbo".

J

justhangn

Not to mention Clarence Thomas, Ken Starr, Paula, Monica, Linda and the rest of them. Yeah, you Democrats are real paragons of virtue. :duh:

My personal favorite liberal character assassination:

During Iran-Contra, the liberal media consistently lumped Fawn Hall in with the "bimbo brigade" of Donna Rice and Jessica Hahn. Never mind that Hall's claim to fame had nothing to do with sex - she was an attractive female and working for Republicans. That was apparently enough to make her a "bimbo".

Come on Vrai, you know the only thing liberals can do is talk about how DUMB the GOP is. :rolleyes:

demsformd

Re: I could be wrong, but....

Originally posted by penncam
:razz2: That might have been a little tongue-in-cheek humor.

Like the Dems didn't stoop to character assassination in securing the ouster of Newt?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :bs: Tell me more lies.

Yessir, may I have another?

penn

I don't recall seeing Democratic lawyers quizzing Newt about his relationships under oath. And we are not the virtuous party, nor do we attempt to make it look that way. But the GOP makes themselves out to be the moral party of America when they suffer from the same moral indiscretions as the rest of the human race. That is my beef with them on morals, not that they attack us on it, but that they attack us on morals while their leaders have had just as shady as personal history. (Hell Newt has been married 3 times and once to an wx-staffer. Wasn't this why he attacked Clinton? And I see the Republicans perform character assassination more than the Democrats. Both Clintons, the Gores, the McDougals, all of them...Remember, just because my party disagrees with a person's positions does not mean that we are character assassinating them. What the right did to the people that I mentioned was nothing but hatred and attacks on their personal lives.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't recall seeing Democratic lawyers quizzing Newt about his relationships under oath.
Ummm...have you forgotten exactly WHY Clinton was "quizzed" under oath?
Hell Newt has been married 3 times and once to an wx-staffer. Wasn't this why he attacked Clinton?
Not exactly. If you recall, Newt actually married his mistress - he didn't paint her as a stalker or a nutjob. PS, Newt's mistress wasn't 22 years old :cheesy: He also didn't sexually harrass anyone nor did he rape anyone.

It's not unusual for politicians to have estranged marriages and mistresses. What's unusual is when they have state troopers go on booty call for them.