Minors in Polling Places

smcdem

A new bill was passed in the senate (i think) that allows any minor to be in a polling place with a parent. The current age is 11 or 12 under. I think this is a great bill and allows us kids to see democracy in action. What are your thoughts?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it's a great idea for kids to see their parents vote - let them get familliar with the process so it's not so alien when it's their turn. It never occurred to me that you couldn't take them - I've taken my kids and seen other people with their kids there, too.

smcdem

Yeah it depends if the law was enforced or not. At our old precint (loveville) it was. But now any kids can go in to a booth with their parent. Opponets said that this new law would cause longer lines and the kids could fool around with the voting equipment. Maybe so, but the pros def. outway the cons.
(In 1988 i was only one and i was with my mom in the booth, i voted and you know who dont ya....yup Dukakis was it a sign?:biggrin: )

demsformd

I definitely agree with this legislation...I took all of my children to the polls with me when they were younger and in fact several of them froze their butts off with me in 1992 and 1994 to work the polls for the general and the primary elections. I would say that 2000 was the most interesting election because I had a great debate with a Republican worker who preached about the moral ills of gay rights and "the damn government taking away my right to be a Christian." Children really should see the democratic process in action and it is about time that the legislature has approved such action.

Yeah I remember when I first pulled the lever for president...1968 for Nixon sadly.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by smcdem
A new bill was passed in the senate (i think) that allows any minor to be in a polling place with a parent. The current age is 11 or 12 under. I think this is a great bill and allows us kids to see democracy in action. What are your thoughts?

I didn't know it was illegal to take your kids to the polling place. :confused: I always take both my kids with me every time I vote. They dig getting the "I voted" stickers. Voting is a BIG deal in our household.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Minors in Polling Places

Originally posted by Christy
I didn't know it was illegal to take your kids to the polling place. :confused: I always take both my kids with me every time I vote. They dig getting the "I voted" stickers. Voting is a BIG deal in our household.

The sign that I saw said the kids just couldn't actually go to the voting booth itself (or voting partition in our case)

I don't think it's a big deal, as long as the parents control their kids in the process.

H

Heretic

Yea the last thing I want is someone who brings their kids and sets them free to run wild and bother me while I vote.

smcdem

Originally posted by Heretic
Yea the last thing I want is someone who brings their kids and sets them free to run wild and bother me while I vote.
good point. You think there is more behind this bill? I think it could be very political. It would encourage young anti-gun suburban mothers and vote democratic. Just my thought.

H

Heretic

I agree bluto.

On another note I was shocked when I voted here that there isnt more privacy. Last place I lived you went into a metal booth that was too short for someome my height and closed this nasty smelly red white and blue curtian behind you.

And those plastic "tables" we have arent very sturdy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Heretic
I was shocked when I voted here that there isnt more privacy.
Am I the only person on Earth who could care less who sees me voting? I always thought the "privacy" bugaboo was stupid anyway - like someone's going to be peering over your shoulder while you're trying to vote. :duh:

They should let us vote online anyway.

smcdem

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Am I the only person on Earth who could care less who sees me voting? I always thought the "privacy" bugaboo was stupid anyway - like someone's going to be peering over your shoulder while you're trying to vote. :duh:

They should let us vote online anyway.
ah to dangerous, heck I could find a way and vote online.

H

Heretic

Yea can you imagine what would have happened last presidential election. You would have mad hackers on both sides of the fence causing all sorts of problems.

I don't exactly care about the privacy myself but its something that is supposed to be guranteed. And private or not those tables do suck, when i put a little weight on mine i felt it flexing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You would have mad hackers on both sides of the fence causing all sorts of problems.
Yeah, just like they do now with the humans that are responsible for the ballots :lol:

There are a zillion ways you could do it to keep it secure. Not only that but they could track down fraud culprits in about a minute.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
A person's occupation should have nothing to do with whether they're allowed to vote. Just because someone digs beneath the earth for gems, rocks, coal...whatever...doesn't mean they shouldn't....uhh...what? Oh.
Never mind.

H

Heretic

Considering hackers have broken into FBI and DOD computers do you really want to chance it?

The thing about the way we do it now is yea fraud can be an issue but it is usually limited to a 100,000 or so votes at each place. If we did it on the internet hackers would have access to millions of votes in one place.